May 23, 2013

ENOUGH OF THIS BULL$***!!!!!!!!

THERE comes a point where you have to grab a man by the shoulders and shake him back to reality. Fellow fans we have reached that point.

Chip Kelly's mantras about competition and earning a spot are nice to hear, but now we've wandered into the land of the ridiculous. Here's what I mean:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Fan-Demonium-Dont-Assume-Anything/288f484a-e709-475d-9c22-61a9385f2517

The article repeats the Kelly mantras of course, and it goes so far as to say that we can't assume ANYTHING. The article goes on to point out that DeSean JacksonJeremy Maclin and Jason Avant won't be handed jobs, they'll have to earn them. 

The article doesn't say STARTING jobs. It says JOBS. It plainly says in paragraph 3 (and I copy and paste here) "Jackson, Maclin and Avant will not be given jobs. They will have to earn them."

Riley Cooper, Arrelious Benn, Ifeanyi Momah, B.J. Cunningham, and Greg Salas all apparently have a shot to displace the top 3 guys here not only as starters, but altogether. WOW.

So if we can't use them what do we do? Release them? It's 15 million in 2014 dead money if we do. Bench them? That's 15 million on the pine THIS year. A trade? DJax would be cost-prohibitive at this point for most teams, Maclin is a FA at the end of the year anyway, and nobody is trading for Avant. 

The reality is that the Eagles are giving away FAR TOO MUCH of Jeff Lurie's money for a rookie coach to come in and financially hamstring this franchise for at least the next couple years. 

Competition is great and all, but there comes a time when you have to simply recognize what is directly in front of you, and not get cute. Remember when he said he'd coach the talent that was on the roster, and not try to shoehorn people into a given system? Whatever happened to that?

7 Comments:
  • How talented are they really if they ACTUALLY GET BEAT OUT BY THOSE GUYS? If they are as good as we think they are then it shouldn't be an issue. The bottom line is SOMEBODY will be made an example of to let these guys know they are going to have to earn the playing time. Enough talking and more working. They have tried it the other way 4wins and 12 losses later there is a new coach. The reality is the Eagles only have to endure both Jackson and Maclin for one more season. If they aren't down with the program then they shouldn't be here. The inmates do not run the asylum.
  • So I read the article and I came away from it believing Chip Kelly wants bigger, stronger, and (very important) smarter players on his roster. I fail to see what is wrong with wanting that considering the smaller, weaker, and dumb guys haven't taken the Eagles anywhere. I don't even think the team has won a playoff game since Maclin has been on the roster. The team is only 2 games over .500 with Vick as the starter. Like Kelly said "big people beat up little people." If they are as tough as all of their talk (and they do a bunch of that) then the small guys shouldn't have a problem.
  • Our WR's are PROVEN NFL commodities and playmakers. Our coach is not.
    If DJax, Maclin and Avant are let go this year they will all find NFL work immediately. If they are released at the end of this year they will all find NFL work immediately.
    The same thing cannot be said at this point for Chip Kelly.
  • Mike Vick and Nick Foles combined for 15 interceptions. They both combined for 19 fumbles eight were lost. Bryce Brown and Shady McCoy combined for 8 fumbles 6 were lost. Jackson, Maclin, and Avant each had a fumble last season with 1 loss. Brent Celek and Harbor both had a fumble last season with 1 for loss. Not to mention the numerous tips off Celek’s hands that led to interceptions and the complete nonexistence of any of the offensive players in the Red Zone. The Eagles led the league in fumbles, and although the majority of the turnovers can be attributed to Mike Vick, everyone involved in the offense had their share and contributed in some way. The point is this isn’t a team that is disciplined and ball security is an issue. You don’t protect the football then you don’t win games. None of the guys here should feel secure about anything. Especially when they clearly aren’t secure with holding onto the football. Also there are plenty of examples of great players coming from obscure places in the NFL thanks to either a player getting injured or released. Because they are PROVEN COMMODITIES, it doesn't mean they are BETTER PLAYERS for Kelly's system.
    With that being the case you're wrong about Kelly. If he quits during the season or gets fired afterward he most certainly will get a job. It may not be an NFL job, but he will definitely have a job.
  • He will most certainly get a job. But as I indicated above, it won't be an NFL job.
  • To be honest I don't care what he does (Kelly) if and when he leaves Philly, but some of the University jobs are much better than NFL jobs. At the University he would be the guy. In the NFL the players and union run the show.
  • Maclin is soft and takes more trips to the locker room per game than any other Eagles player during my lifetime. I'd like to see a more physical and dependable receiver take his spot.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Johnson pulled out of tourney to hang with Paulina?

WWE star to be play big Star Wars role?

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.