July 15, 2013

EVERY PLAYER IS COMPETING?

AFTER being fed a steaming pile by Chip Kelly about EVERY PLAYER having to play his way into a starting spot or being able to compete for a starting spot, all it took for DeSean Jackson to shake an early demotion was a meeting with the HC. The Eagles are currently trying extend Jeremy Maclin's contract, so don't expect him to ride pine either. 

Despite all the bluster about the "wide open" WR position, this year's starters will be LAST YEAR'S starters. 

Quick! Who is pushing LeSean McCoy at RB? Oh yeah that's right: NOBODY! Last year's starter? Check!

Due to injury LT Jason Peters didn't play last year, but he would have started if he did. No one stepped up in his absence, and the starting spot was his again just for showing up off crutches. Quick! Who's pushing LG Evan Mathis? Who's pushing C Jason Kelce? What? Nobody AGAIN?! (I smell a trend!) 

So far we're at what, SIX of eleven starters from last year, who we can already forecast DESPITE Kelly's claims of competition? 

RG Todd Herremanns was moved from Tackle to Guard to give Danny Watkins a seat AND make room for new RT Lane Bryant- Oops! I mean, Lane Johnson. (He DOES love to eat.)

So that's EIGHT starters we can name already who don't have a serious challenger come this training camp?

Last year's starter Brent Celek will get PLENTY of competition at TE from rookie Zach Ertz and James Casey, so there could be a shake-up there. Hooray! Only nine guys in before we hit upon REAL competition on the Offense. Good stuff. I'm frickin moved unto tears over here.

The Spread Option system Kelly is using, FREQUENTLY features a Slot WR or a second TE, so that 10th spot (as it always was under Reid) will be subject to change on a weekly basis, depending on the opponents weakness. 

So that's 8 of 11 positions that (barring injury), you can carve in stone. Put another way 72.7% of our starting positions are non-contests. And if they are, point out the challengers. Please. I dare you.  

72.7% carved in stone leaves only 27.3% up for grabs.

27.3% is a long way from EVERY PLAYER.

4 Comments:
  • Well what about the defense?
  • Oh I'll get to that in a day or so. I just wanted to get this one started first.
  • Its a smokescreen. All it does is gets the fans mentally prepared for cost cutting. "Open competition" means slashing costs. If Vick isnt the starter he wont be on this roster. Just a prediction. I want to believe they will keep the "best players" but I have no trust in this organization.
  • I don't see the point of a lot of cost cutting. Under the CBA from 2013 to 2020, teams must spend a MINIMUM of 95% of the salary cap (http://nflsalarycapguru.com/).

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Gallery: Dancers of the NBA playoffs

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

10 best scenes from baseball movies

10 GIFs that sum up the Mike Woodson era in NYC

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.