May 14, 2013

Ex-Cowboys RB Felix Jones is an Eagle

Felix Jones could provide nice depth to an already crowded backfield. With McCoy leading the way, and the return of Bryce Brown, it looks like Felix will be battling last years rookie RB Chris Polk and UN-drafted free agent RB Miguel Maysonet for the final spot. Another low risk/high reward scenario for the Eagles. Felix Jones could also provide some extra special teams value in kick return game and a shifty option as a 3rd down scat back. All in all, the Eagles are scary fast on offense if Jones makes the team. And he also adds fantastic depth/insurance of an already explosive RB duo. Stay tuned!

14 Comments:
  • Jones could be solid depth as a receiving back, and a return man as long as he can stay healthy. Something he hasn't been able to do most of his career.
  • Ive never been a big fan of Felix Jones but if you give him nice holes he can be a solid runner. I like this pick up.
  • Better still, since Dallas has not altered their offensive scheme or coaching structure, Jones knows all the key players and may even have learned a few of the things they like, don't like and why they like them. Give him a spot, pick his brain, and then give him something to play for.
  • Happen to agree with Flip its a nice opportunity and a new environment. I think he could see some extended action and be a nice tandem with Mccoy. I have more faith in his experience than I do in Browns hands.
  • Make no mistake, I still say keep Chris Polk and go with 4 RB's for depth, since Kelly says it will be a run-heavy scheme. I'm less concerned with the idea of injuries and more concerned with declining effectiveness due to wear (same with Todd Herremanns).

Running the ball a lot is to your advantage in a GAME, but week-to-week it kills your body and becomes far more about mental toughness than physical toughness.

However SHOULD a rash of injuries break out, it's better to have guys on the roster already who can just step in and don't have to learn things like protection verbiage, which protection to use or whether or not they can trust what they see and communicate it effectively without tipping off the opponent. If we're leaning heavy on RB's, we should stock up on them.
  • Considering they wont have a true fullback next season they are likely going to stock up on running back or TE. Hopefully Polk can stay healthy enough to show what he can do.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • When he's healthy he's good. The problem is he's never healthy.
  • I dont think he is ever healthy enough to get in shape but when he turns the corner on a run he can hit. I think hes lazy but talented. Just my opinion.
  • I think he's here mostly to return kicks. He's cheap so I'm not going crazy either way about him
  • http://mcnabborkolb.com/links/
  • Felix still has some burst so he'll be good on kickoffs and a few carries a game.
  • A nice option out of the backfield on screens too.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Paul George suffers horrific injury

MLB postseason odds post deadline

PGA Tour: Johnson is not suspended

MLB players who still might be traded in August

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Pacquiao likely to retire in 2016

Can Vince McMahon save TNA and WWE?

WATCH: TV station airs unfortunate Ray Rice blooper

College football's best coordinator duos

Best fantasy options at every position

Bosh: I was close to leaving Miami

Goodell defends Ray Rice punishment

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.