March 31, 2013

Feeling Chipper?

Chip Kelly changes things up in Eagles locker room  

By JasonBon Mar 29 2013, 10:00a@BleedingGreen3434

Stay connectedfor news and updates×

Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports

• Chip Kelly has shaken things up in the Eagles locker room. Literally.

Les Bowen was at a charity dinner thrown by Todd Herremans and got to speak with Jason Kelce about the goings at Eagles headquarters now that Chip Kelly is in charge. One of the changes he has made is in the setup of the locker room. Previously, guys were grouped by position but now Kelce says Chip has guys totally mixed up. Young guys are put next to older guys regardless of position.

It's a small thing, but definitely indicative of the fact that there's a new way of doing things at the NovaCare. It also tells me that Kelly is going to try to do some good old fashioned team building. Sometimes people scoff at that stuff, but in football it matters. It's the ultimate team and system game. Guys have to be 100% bought in or nothing works. Case in point? Last season!

This is just a first little glimpse into what will likely be huge changes in the way everything is done in the offseason and between Sundays for the Eagles. This is what made the Eagles really go after Chip. It wasn't simply about his playcalling or on-field smarts... It was because of all the possible candidates, he was arguably the only one that was going to fundamentally change the way everything is done in the organization. The practices, the installs, the workouts, the treatment of injuries, the training...

Mixing guys up in the locker room is just the start.

7 Comments:
  • I love this move by Chip Kelly. One thing a 4-12 team should not be is comfortable. He needs to continue to press these guys physically and mentally. They need to understand they have to EARN their jobs, and not have them HANDED to them like many assume they will be. From Vick to McCoy, to Trent Cole. Everyone better get it through their heads that if they want to play they better bring it. The Andy Reid protect my mediocre players performance days are over. Finally talking will once again be done on the football field. And not just on twitter and sound bites.
  • These little rah rah moves are wonderful but it makes no difference if you dont have quality players being added to the roster. The Eagles are saturated with no name non starters. Do we expect them to become starters all at once? Im not any substantive changes so far. i see plenty of cap room and no quality veteran leaders. Right now I see a team no better than 6-10
  • Two years ago we got a bunch of names. Those names won 12 games in two seasons. So if the Eagles were to get Sean Considine you would be happier with the names they got? LOL Just change your name to whinywood.
  • seriously does this guy EVER say anything positive about this team? I mean not even like a glimmer of excitement or hope. This guy is worse then Bill Murray's character in groundhog day.
  • Exactly why I give him so much crap about it (and because he was extremely abusive to me when I first came to the site). Everyone has the right to their opinion but we all have been tired of hollywood's whining (and lying) for years. Even when he shows just a small glimmer of hope he goes right back to his usual whining and crying. He doesn't understand that you just can't take someone like him seriously.
  • holly is so full of it, ask him?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

10 injuries that could impact MLB playoffs

T-Wolves announce Kevin Love deal with newspaper ad

Final Team USA Basketball roster

HS coach receives racist letter

Report: Machado's season over

Players who'll decide the national title

NFL cheerleader Instagram accounts

Olympian walking again after accident

WATCH: Bucs rookie involved in brawl

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.