October 27, 2013

FIX WHAT'S BROKEN.

THREE QB's have played in a system that gets more and more bogged down with every passing game, regardless of who plays in it. 

Despite this, the discussion is STILL about the QB and not about the system.

First Michael Vick "holds the ball too long, so we should put in Nick Foles who makes quicker decisions". So then Nick Foles gets in and HE "holds the ball too long". Today Matt Barkley got a shot and he ALSO held the ball a bit, didn't he? So hey, here's a thought: Perhaps the routes are taking too long to unfold! But that would be a systemic issue wouldn't it?

We need a mobile QB threat so LeSean McCoy can run. Huh? What other NFL team operates that way. Moreover if the system called for that, why don't we have THREE mobile QB's? Seems like another systemic issue. 

Every week it seems that teams have figured out this system a little more than the team from a week before. Points are getting harder and harder to come by regardless of who is throwing the passes, and we're talking about three VERY different QB's here; each of whom is talented in his own right and fashion. 

The fact that the O-line generates little to no push inside, hardly gets mentioned by fans. (But it was mentioned again today on FOX.) 

Despite this, the discussion is STILL about the QB and not about the system.

These are systemic problems, yet the hue and cry is to fix a symptom and not cure the disease. 

11 Comments:
  • These are system problems that go right to the heart of managements & owner philosophy. They think you put a guy with good legs at the QB position and he willl run you out of a jam everytime. Donovan was a special player. He was our Brett Favre , Drew Brees , Aaron Rodgers...etc but we treated him like a joke. Gave him garbage on offense. No runningbacks, WR...etc Ok Westbrook was good but nothing extraordinary. The rest not worth mentioning. Mcnabbed dipped, turned, stepped up , broike his body, ran , threw , huffed and puffed, and won plenty of games from natural god given talent. What did he get for his services? A boot in his rear. That treatment still resonates with this team. There were others treated in similar fashion but forget them for now. So they think with a little management turnover they can wash the past away. They tossed out a few gimmicks. Read option and 3-4 defense. And everyone went wow this is new and bold. But basically they confirmed that they were in disarray and had no real solid foundation. In there self centered manner they say we have Howie now to fix things. A bean counter right out of college that walks around like a smug little punk. They are an embarrassment to me personally. Get it. You put Lurie and Howie together and you have nothing but to frail little ******* that have never gotten there hands dirty. Never built anything. The result is a ***** team that has never accomplished anything. Ok they got a few championships. Thatwas because of Mcnabb and Dawkins. They were still underfunded even though money was pouring in from the city. Now the true face is on display and its not real pretty. This is the owner Jeff Lurie. Put Lurie and Howie next to Dawkins and McNabb. Now put Steve Boshotti and Ozzie next to Ray Lewis and Flaccco. The latter doesnt look so out of whack.
  • This is the natural result of hiring a guy with no experience and not having a guy for him to go to when in a jam. Make no mistake, this jam the EAGLES are in isn't temporary.

We aren't going to stay quite this stymied of course, but the heyday of Chip Kelly's "new" system is over. If he wants to win, he's going to have to make FUNDAMENTAL changes to his approach, and I'm not sure that's in him.

Over a few short weeks the Offense has gotten less and less effective. Today a during the EAGLES Live session, a reporter asked Kelly if the league had caught on to him. Kelly coach-spoke his way around a direct "YES" answer and then said it was all about execution. Funny thing is, in his answer he alluded to how in college some weeks it's "the haves vs. the have nots", and that "in the NFL that's not the case". He sounded almost wistful when he said it.

At this level it's not just about having your superiorly talented roster executing a game plan. At THIS level you have to be able to COACH. You have to be able to make adjustments. You have to be able to motivate full-grown men, richer than yourself and keep them focused on the mission at hand. And so far NONE of that has happened.

I said in February that I think this job is too big for Kelly. So far he has yet to prove me anything but right.
  • Nailed it
  • Interesting thought about the routes developing/timing issues. Personally, I don't think that's the case. I think Vick holds the ball too long cause he stinks. Barkley holds the ball too long because he doesn't fully grasp the system yet & Foles held the ball too long in 1 game. I'm expecting him to bounce back and prove the City wrong about him.

Watch what happens in Oakland. Eagles 24 Oakland 20
  • I won't argue the individual traits of each QB with you, but I will say unless they start to run some more shallow routes (TE curls, TE flats, 9 yard slants, etc.), you're going to see this regardless of who starts.

The QB thing is, (and was always going to be) an undecided mess until next year. I'm FAR more concerned about McCoy though. If he plays like this next year when we have "our guy going forward" we could end up like the 2011 Colts. We need to find a way to stabilize the run game so that the new QB has a shot in hell of being at least decent.
  • I think we need to add a couple of physical receivers. Its time to part ways with some of the Reid backwash. Should be gone= Vick, Celek, Avant, Cooper, Maclin. On defense Matthews, Allen, Maybe Coleman, Cole. Some of the garbage up front. We need to wash that Reid taste right out of our mouths ASAP. Any other names you can think of? I dont think our current skill players are tough enough to run short routes and get hit.
  • if we can keep Maclin & Drop Djax.. That's about the only change I would make different then what you are thinking.
  • He is a #2. I think Jax would be alot more effective with a big solid fast physical back in the lineup. Brandon Marshall type?
  • I'd keep Avant. He's a pro's pro, he blocks well, plays Special Teams without complaint, and he does work well in the slot.

I think if they would use the TE's on some shorter routes they would be DEADLY, but they keep wanting to make them into glorified WR's and run them on deep crosses and sideline routes. Give me a TE on a 6 yard curl, or a 5 yard route in the flat. THAT is how you loosen up the inside for the run and discourage the blitz AT THE SAME TIME!

As far as dumping those defenders, I'm all for it, but I'm not sure if we can dump Cole since he represents so much dead money over the next few years. The RAIDERS could use a bonafide pass rusher and will have TONS of cash on hand next year; so maybe a trade could be swung that would help both teams since they run a 4-3.
  • Cole would be a good raider. They had good luck with eagle DEs. You are right about Avant being a real professional. He carries himself like a real team player . I hate putting his name in that group but I dont think he has the speed to keep safeties honest. I think he was pretty effective as an # 2 possesion receiver but what do i know. You are right about loosening up the defense. maybe with Foles this week we might see that. He better or it will be avery long day. The Eagle skill players have not shown the physical presence to to keep defenses honest. Its almost now or never for these guys so i think chip will begin to take risks with his top tier players.
  • Here's hoping!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

MLB managers on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.