November 01, 2013

FOLES, BARKLEY AND THE BEGINNING OF THE END.

WHEN Jeff Lurie said “We need someone to step up, whether it’s an existing young quarterback or somebody we go out and acquire,” he basically told Chip Kelly to sit Michael Vick for the remainder of the season.

There is no way that Nick Foles or Matt Barkley can step up if they are on the bench. They have to play to have the opportunity. Since you don't play more than 1 QB at a time, that means Vick has to take a seat. 

So now the owner is telling the coach who to play? As long as he knows what he doing I guess it's fine for Lurie to do that, it is his team after all. But for fans who have an issue with the RAIDERS, you may want to hold your tongues a bit, because the EAGLES are looking more and more like the 1998-2011 RAIDERS with every passing month since Howie Roseman joined the team. A terrifying thought since Jeff Lurie has never possessed 1/50th of AL DAVIS'S football acumen, and Howie Roseman is no Amy Trask.

Take it from a guy who's survived this roller-coaster ride already: THERE IS NOTHING EASY ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENDURE!

Your loyalty is about to be tested.

10 Comments:
  • I would happen to agree with you. Al Davis was a maverick that changed the way the game is played. He wasnt afraid to cut across the grain of the NFL elite. But I think he kept playing the same card in the latter years and wasnt able to change his methods for understanding todays athletes. He got old. I think Lurie has lost his grip on this team. He kept Reid too long and I think he miscalculated his own abilities. He wanted to run a thrifty operation and was able to do it with a soldi organizational guy and a great QB. Once the organization began to blow up by playing hardball and acting arrogant the only glue was McNabb and Dawkins. Once they screwed themthe lockeroom was poisoned. Now its a watch out for me mentality in Philly and I dont see where it has drastically improved. there is some momentum with a new coach but this thing has the hallmarks of another disaster with one or two bad events. It could start with a loss to raiders and a poor performance by Foles. If its bad the same old questions will be tossed around every week. Its been going on since Mcnabb left. thats how long its been since we had a stable direction. Its boring, old and unproductive. and its showing up on the field. Right now this can only be called a poorly run organization.
  • That's what people around the NFL were hinting at when we couldn't seem to land a top flight HC prospect. The rumbling was that football minds didn't think much of Roseman and so were shying away from here.

I made that point and it was ridiculed by people like EZ and GTD. The fact is under Banner the EAGLES FO was run like a business not a football team, we fans didn't like it but at least they had a direction.

Lurie added EXPERIENCED NFL coach Andy Reid, who built his staff out of experienced NFL coaches and the 2 halves made a whole.

This time the GM is a guy whose probably never mad a tackle in real life or even on X-Box. His only NFL experience so far is being the longest tenured big name during this teams current demise, who runs the FO like neither a business nor a football team.

Add to HIM a collegiate coach whose career had thus far been a cake walk. Then add to HIM a bunch of NFL virgins and NFL career underachievers, and now you have a perfect sh*tstorm.

Now we've had QB contest nonsense, player discipline nonsense, coaching staff misfires, fans accusing players of dogging it on the HC's watch, and an owner planning out the depth chart. All of which indicate a HC who's is to small for the job.
  • On the surface I agree with you 100%. But he put his resume in and the OWNER determined he was the right choice. Im giving Lurie the benefit of the doubt even though I think he is an arrogant prick. Im like you Im skeptical but I like that its fresh face. Chip is gonna have to learn on the job quickly. So far, I havent sen that adjustment but we will get a much better indication in the next couple games whether he can right this ship. We could end up in a place worse than last year. It is possible. This is a very precarious situation.
  • It would be hard to end up worse than last year. Really fewer than 5 games is an accomplishment in itself. A fail that hard almost deserves a trophy. If the EAGLES manage to do it TWO YEARS IN A ROW, all 32 games need to be displayed in the Art Museum.
  • All this said, I still think it's Bad Karma...Period!!!
  • I don't think so. I think karma is getting what you deserve from some outside force. This is people getting what they asked for, or built themselves.

Fans wanted McNabb gone (check). Wanted Banner gone (check). Wanted Reid gone (check). That's not karma, that's a shopping list.

Lurie could have ignored all of that. It's not like the winning was hurting his sales. But he listened to Joe Sixpack and now he's scrambling to repair his sh*tty renovation. That's not karma, that's poor workmanship.

There are no surprises here. I called this nonsense in March. Eventually the EAGLES will finish 6-10 or 7-9 this year and fans will say "Hey it's improvement" but really it won't be. When the same 6-10 or 7-9 pops up again in 2015 (even though next year we'll have drafted a "franchise QB") the excuse will be "It's the QB's first year!"

It's not karma, it's a hole that we began digging in 2009. It took 4 years to get the hole this deep and will likely take at least as long to climb out of.
  • I agree. I dont think moving on from Reid was a Joe sixpack move. Reid wasa front office guy that lost his lockeroom. I don think they have gotten it back and a bad culture has set in. I dont think Lurie anticipated this. he thought he was the best and smartest owner in the NFL. Well hes not. He had every financial opportunity afforded to him. And he failed to deliver. Now the sine is wearing off on that stadium and things tdont look very hopeful. We have an underfunded and manned team. we lack talent. we are way too young with no leadership and we have a poisonous culture. If lurie is so smart he will overcome this and lead the future of the franchise. He is the owner and is ultimately responsible for all messes. I saw this coming after TO got the boot. The lenghths they went to discredit TO and use Hugh Douglass as a thug was unprecedented. It stunk and Reid was a part of it. I think Reid thought he commanded so much respect and that his system was more important than the players that he could brand and humiliate anyone he wanted. Well, he found out that empoloyees can buck back and they did. And this new culture seeped into this franchise and now they are having a hard time exorcise it. You see Lurie wants to exorcise it on his own terms and that may not be possible. Thats why I thought Tony Dungy would have been the perfect guy in Philly. a well respected football man thats not going to sellout his principles for the limelight or a paycheck. Im hopeful that Chip will show the players loyalty and recapture the true Eagle spirit. we shall see.
  • All comments are great!!right on,my take,eagles owner new better,why not tony dungy or herm Edwards,jon gruden,experience head coaches,brian billick---come on man---who ran nfl franchises. The eagles were set up by patriots owner and coach---I would bet any money on all of you,who posted comments---they want NICK SABAN OUT OF ALABAMA---the eagles way---the season 5-11 they will lose to raiders---nick foles,can not run offense,need mobile qb--should of kept dennis dixion,why draft matt barkley---eagle's gm is a DUCK!!!SEASON 5-11 HOLLA AT YOUR BOY!!!
  • I wouldn't even use Jeff Lurie and Al Davis in the same sentence. Al Davis is a legend.
  • Indeed.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Nike pulls Peterson merchandise

Stanton posts pic of horrific injury

WATCH: Kemp, Puig argue in dugout

Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson

Tim Duncan to appear in ‘Punisher’ comic

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

WATCH: Student has incredible dunk fail

WATCH: Tebow makes 'GMA' debut

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.