March 12, 2013

FREE AGENCY SO FAR:

JAMES Casey is a TE who is a versatile do-everything type who played in the Spread in college. I'd heard that the Eagles would target a pass catching TE, but I wasn't buying it. Lord knows we've needed a blocking TE for short yardage for years. With Casey you get a guy who can do that. He's sneaky good. 

Solid move in terms of adding depth and versatility.

19 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Not quite the same list as a few years back lol.
  • Got Fletcher! Got Sopoaga (See: THE 12 #8 (coming up tonight!) DeMeco, get ready to party!
  • I like the Eagles moves so far...nothing flashy but solid signings of players that have to stay hungry to play and will at least add depth if nothing else. Fletcher has started and should have a starting spot here unless they aren't done in free agency (Sean Smith is still out there but it won't happen) and also add a starter in the draft, Sopoaga moves ahead of Dixon as the nose tackle and Chung is already the best safety on the team right now. Casey moves ahead of Harbor and could push Celek for playing time if he doesn't hold onto the ball and could give the Eagles an extra roster spot by allowing them to not have to keep a fullback on the team. I read that the Eagles aren't fooling themselves with Philips and view him as primarily a special teamer. What's not to like?
  • Not so fast on Chung.

New England's Secondary has given up FAR more yards per game than we have in EACH of the last 3 seasons, ranking near dead last in the league each year.

And one of the key culprits: the play of their Safeties.

Maybe a change of scheme will help?

• [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Sounds like Kelly is just getting his beak wet. Made a few moves nothing overly flashy. Today will be where his big signing(s) will happen more then likely... That is if they happen. NFL.com has em interested in Eric Winston, Danny Amendola, and Sean Smith.
  • The Eagles stated that they would be interested in Sean Smith at their price and the longer he sits without a contract offer the more likely that COULD happen. Of course that is considering they are still interested in bringing in another free agent corner. Ricky Jean-Francois is supposedly talking to the Eagles today and that could round out their defensive line in a 3-4. Winston or Smith (especially Smith) would be icing on the cake but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Decent signing sopoaga is a huge signing at cheap cost from what I seen he basically took pattersons money and is way more productive n has the size to be our NT plus experience at it. Casey is what I wanted just not who. I wanted walker but Casey may be the better "value" pick. I don't know much about Fletcher but he has decent size. Chung sucks idk why the media is always praising him. Phillips seems to be Jordans replacement for ST. All in all it was a decent day nothing to brag about but got some good football players and that's what's needed not the big names.
  • If he sucked I doubt the media would praise him. A media member who covered the Patriots stated that the 2009-2011 version of Chung was a safety who was very effective when healthy. He said that last year he seemed to be pushing to make the big play which ended with him missing on picks and tackles. Said it could have been due to him pushing in a contract year. We'll see what version of Chung the Eagles get.
  • That Chung scenario seems a lot like Nate Allen. I think they made seem solid additions. They could use to make a few more.
  • Yea I seen that I hope he makes me eat my words but he was horrible just was the he's out of a sh!tty secondary
  • So now we have a few new players on our team. Our biggest possible impact player is S Patrick Chung given the inconsistent play from the position over the years. The longest shot to make the team is possibly OL Ed Wang, who has me mildly curious to see how he will perform. Nothing too exciting so far, but maybe by tonight we will have more fun. That's right. Then EVERYBODY HAVE FUN TONIGHT!!! We have WANG CHUNG on our team! Yes!!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXu6QmxpJE
  • I was wondering why you were bringing up a less recent signing in Ed Wang. It was so you could reference an 80s band. LOL.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the Barwin move. I had Arian Foster on my fantasy team so I watched a LOT of Texan football. I have to say that aside from Watt, the team is scarier in the press than it is in games. They have some good pieces (and in Casey we just stole one of the better ones), but there's a softness to them.

As for Williams, there was NO WAY I thought we get a shot at him. I figured he'd be locked up before the start of FA. When I saw his name here I went to look up who it was, because the thought that we got HIM, never even crossed my mind.

I like this signing better than the Bradley Fletcher signing. And I HOPED for Bradley Fletcher! Primarily because I didn't think we could get Cary Williams!
  • U do realize he let up over 1000 yards 6 Tds n a parter rating over 91 right? He's just a cheaper asomo no reason to be so excited
  • except he's younger... and like you said cheaper... which makes him a better deal.
  • Benn there...done that:

The Philadelphia Eagles have completed a trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for WR Arrelious Benn.

The Eagles will send a 2013 sixth-round pick and a conditional 2014 selection to the Buccaneers for Benn and a seventh-round pick.
  • At first the move had me scratching my head, but when I saw what we gave up for him, I figured "meh. Why not?"

His Combine info says he doesn't run good routes, but the thing about the Spread is that it doesn't require great route running. So if the Eagles can get the ball to him in space even on short passes or busted coverage when a guy hesitates to make sure Vick isn't running, Benn could do some serious damage.

Word is, he's no lock to make the roster, but if he does I can see a 40 catch, 450 yard season for him in the Spread. If he doesn't make the roster then he's no worse than what likely would have become of whoever we picked in that spot.

Also he's done some KR last year. Basically I was hoping we'd grab slot WR/PR-KR in the 5th to 7th rounds anyway. So this move does that.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.