December 24, 2012

GO AHEAD AND LAUGH.

LET'S just get this out of the way now.

Depending on what happens in the offseason, there's a VERY good chance that I'll write after the Draft that I think the EAGLES could win the NFC East.

(Commence your groaning.)

The reason is simple. The NFC is a mess. Last year the Giants fell backwards into the playoffs because the division was a mess, and this year the survivor of next week's Redskins/Cowboys game will do the same, for the same reason. 

There isn't a good team in the division right now, but while the EAGLES can point to an injury situation that borders on folklore, none of the other teams can claim that a similar decimation caused them to miss (or barely make) the playoffs.

It's crazy how the 'skins fans are trying to have it both ways though. On the one hand it's "Oh look at how far RG3's talent has taken us." and on the other it's "We're so good we don't even need RG3 to win!" Yet the best they can do is 9-7 and that really isn't anything to write home about. True, it beats 4-12, but if they finish 8-8, they'll be watching the playoffs from home like us, and no amount of spin changes that.

As for the NY Collapse. I said in the preseason that they lost too many key vets to make a go of it. For all the noise Cruz and Nicks inspire, the guy who'd been bailing out Manning over the last few years with key 3rd down grabs was Mario Manningham. But you can't hype the legend of E-lie if the guy who makes him look good is still standing in the room. So Manningham got David Tyree'd. And boy did they miss the loudmouthed Brandon Jacobs to spell fragile Ahmad Bradshaw! Andre Brown is nice from a fantasy football perspective but he and David Wilson aren't a complete back between them.

The Cowboys concern me a little. A light has seemed to go on for Dez Bryant recently, and he could be a source of migraines for years to come. However, just like they did in New Orleans yesterday, they always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They defy explanation. 

We lost our best O-lineman in the offseason, then our Center in the second game, and then things started to get weird. Before you know it we were signing guys off the street to protect our franchise QB. Our top 3 skill position guys missed considerable chunks of the year. Honestly, under the circumstances 4-12 isn't unreasonable. The Defense still needs work, but since the firing of Washburn and the injury to Kurt Coleman, this unit has shown some actual life. 

So yeah, depending on what happens between January and May, I think the division will still be very much up for the taking.

14 Comments:
  • Flip you seriously need to take some time off from writing again. You've lost it with this one. I don't think anyone will laugh at your prediction, because it's not really funny. It's actually just kind of a pathetic grasp for optimism by ignoring the facts about your own team while attempting to point out the weaknesses of other teams. The Eagles don't even have a coach yet. All you are doing is giving serious blows to your own credibility with this thread. Go enjoy your family this holiday season and come back some time in 2013.

• The only time I care about the "credibility" of my writing is when I'm being paid to do it.

This is simply my opinion and it is every bit as valid as yours.
  • Right now it looks like the Redskins are on the rise in the NFC East. They have the right QB,(assuming he can stay healthy), and a very good running back and they have obviously turned the corner. If they draft well in the secondary they can be the Beast of the East for awhile. That said, things can change quickly in the NFL, but the Eagles will NOT win the East next year, they have no quarterback and the draft is not QB heavy.
  • Couldn't have stated it better, gr. As an Eagle fan I'll hope that Foles develops quickly and can help the Eagles battle for the divison but it probably just isn't going to happen.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I think a coaching change takes us out of the running for at least a couple of years. And that is provided that the next guy is granted a couple seasons to let it all shake out for him.
    Reid knows the division (and unfortunately the division knows him), but offensively he's still one of the NFL's best X's and O's guys (a fact NOT disputed outside of Philadelphia). And as impressed as everyone seems to be with Nick Foles, the fact is it took coaching up to get him this far, this fast.
    I know everyone on this site disagrees with me and maybe even Jeff Lurie does as well, but long odds are against a college coach "going pro" and immediately being the top dog in (what used to be) the toughest division in the NFL.
  • I don't think you're far off. The NFC east is arguably the most unpredictable division in a very unpredictable league. Plus they'll still have quality linemen returning from injury, a top 5 back, possibly and up and coming QB, and plenty of young stars along the defensive line. And if they do change coaches, it doesn't necessarily have to mean a slow transition. Look at what the Colts did with their situation. So, yeah, I happen to agree with you.
  • With the right coaching staff and a strong offseason we can get back in the mix. The Skins are going to win the division and we almost just beat them at their house in a must win game.
  • Elaborate what a "strong offseason" is? If it's more signing of other peoples cast off players then we are screwed. The Eagles need to develop their own guys. Let them grow together like Reid did when he first got here. Time after time teams have shown you can't buy championships.
  • I'm not looking for any big free agent signings. We need to nail our first round pick and the new coaching staff needs to get through to the players and implement their system. I'd also like to see us get something out of a trade for Nnamdi.
  • Trade for Nnamdi! You couldn't get a bucket of golf balls for that bum. New coach. Lets see how it all turns out.
  • 49ers. Bulls. Lakers. Heat. Dodgers. (just off the top of my head)

Cha-ching!
  • WELL WELL WELL! Last season bottom dwellers Cowboys & Skins in the season finale the winner win the NFC east, whereas the offseason frontrunners the bi-polar NYC football Giants are on life support & Vick's dynasty that Vince was dreaming of flatlined in week 5. And stop making excuses, injuries are part of the game. The Boys lost 4 starters on defense Sean Lee Bruce Carter and Jay Ratliff were potential pro bowlers and a ball hawking hard hitting safety in Barry Church. Exactly how bad would the division be if the Eagles were in a playoff hunt? And BRINKSTER serious now, do you actually think teams will give the Eagles something for Nnamdi? You do know they have access to game tape on this dude right? I'm sitting here laughing my arse off. Thanks for the advice Flip.
  • Well, well, well. Somebody seems especially happy with his team possibly being a loss away from finishing exactly where it finished last season at 8-8. I'll save my congratulations until Sunday night! I'd give you my condolences if your Boys lose but your history on this website shows that if that happens you'll delete this account and come back as some other form of a sucker around free agency when you start telling us how Jones's moves are just the thing the Cowboy's needed to make that jump back to prominence.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

12 managers who are on the hot seat

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.