February 27, 2013

GOODBYE NNAMDI.

FOUR.

That's how many articles I counted on YardBarkers Eagles page concerning where Nnamdi Asomugha took his lunch last season.

I've heard of sandbagging a guy before getting rid of them, but this is some junior high school level nonsense.

If you want to talk about a guy alienating teammates by picking fights, playing one against another, or being a locker room cancer, fine do that. But whole articles from paid bloggers over where a guy ate his PB and J is downright silly. 

Seriously, it's getting so that there's harder hitting stuff written by US! I already contacted the Eagles about doing something for them from a local standpoint, but Chris McPherson told me they were good, because the already have Tommy Lawlor covering the local angle already.

In the meantime we have this.

The upshot of all this is which CB are we drafting because the slide is already being greased. Anybody predicting that Asomugha plays here in 2013 is either wrong or psychic.

Sidenote: Is it me or does Chip Kelly have the face of a guy who'd fart and blame someone else?

17 Comments:
  • Three...that's how many stories I counted in the Lions yard about Matthew Stafford and his girlfriend on vacation (and honestly the FIRST yard I looked in besides the Eagles to see how many versions of one lame story I could count). I think Asomugha distancing himself from his teammates is a little more news worthy, don't you? As if the Eagles had to sandbag a player who most of the fanbase want gone (I haven't heard one member of the local media that is stunned by the news that Asomugha could be on his way out). Why can't this just be a few news hungry bloggers typing up a story tied to the recent reports that the Eagles met with Asomugha's agent at the combine?
  • I'm pretty sure Nnamdi's performance on the field was enough for the whole city to want him out of town. No need for the FO to go out of their way on this one.
  • This is newsworthy if you have a time machine and we're talking about it when it was happening. If the guy was distancing himself NOW it would be a story.

And it IS bloggers typing this up. I even said that in my post. At no point did I say the F.O. was "behind" this. The thing is if you (read: these bloggers) have any more pertinent information on the situation, SHARE THAT! We're all news hungry. The difference is there should be a higher standard for someone who's being compensated to do this.
  • Stories sometimes take another story to bridge it. I wouldn't doubt that with the impending release of Asomugha, a player decided to discuss something he felt odd about him when Hollis Thomas inquired...nothing more and not a big deal at all in my opinion. Sorry if I read into your words but I do believe when you type "I've heard about sandbagging a guy before getting rid of him" most people are going to assume that you are typing about the Eagles FO doing the sandbagging since they are the ones who will be getting rid of him.
  • In the end it doesn't matter. If he stays I would prefer if it were at safety. Hes no longer an elite corner. I doubt he is even average now. On a side note if teammates took umbrage with Nnamdi having lunch in his car then the so called leaders on the roster should have confronted him about it. These guys have so much to say to the media, and so little to say to each other, and do far less on the field. It's just a bunch of unlikeable guys in the forefront ruining it for the the other guys on the roster who bust their tails.
  • Now I'M not saying the Eagles are behind this, but this guy is:
    http://deadspin.com/5987109/if-this-is-how-the-eagles-are-trying-to-smear-nnamdi-asomugha-its-hilarious
  • You know who the biggest culprit behind any "smear Asomugha" campaign is...Nnamdi Asomugha himself. He certainly hasn't asserted himself as being worthy of a 16 million dollar salary this year and of course Eagle football fans are going to notice that...most of us are just happy that the Eagles noticed it too. We hope our teams make smart choices and paying him 16 million just wouldn't be a smart decision.
  • The Eagles certainly don't need to smear Nnamdi to release Nnamdi. He's not one of the popular players with the fans right now and apparently not with his teammates either. The fact Nnamdi is still on the roster to me makes it clear they want him to stay.
  • I agree that they WANT him, but they want him at THEIR price. The reality is that even if Nnamdi isn't considered a top CB, some team that needs the help will give him a contract.

I'm sure his agent will scout around to see which side of the fence is greener before Nnamdi jumps. He's a very cerebral guy, so my guess is the money alone won't be what motivates him.

The guy acts*, runs charities, rubs elbows with the President...Listen, how Philadelphia feels about him isn't about to slow him up at all.

I just think that the Eagles need to have their contingency plan ready, because if the grass is greener elsewhere, I don't want to see the Eagles left standing around with their **** in their hand and no clue what to do next.

*(Rent the movie Fire with Fire. Nnamdi plays a "thug" in it. Our boy CLEARLY needs some more practice, because he was about as thug as Tom Arnold. Rent it. You'll laugh.)
  • I agree that they WANT him, but they want him at THEIR price. The reality is that even if Nnamdi isn't considered a top CB, some team that needs the help will give him a contract.

I'm sure his agent will scout around to see which side of the fence is greener before Nnamdi jumps. He's a very cerebral guy, so my guess is the money alone won't be what motivates him.

The guy acts*, runs charities, rubs elbows with the President...Listen, how Philadelphia feels about him isn't about to slow him up at all.

I just think that the Eagles need to have their contingency plan ready, because if the grass is greener elsewhere, I don't want to see the Eagles left standing around with their **** in their hand and no clue what to do next.

*(Rent the movie Fire with Fire. Nnamdi plays a "thug" in it. Our boy CLEARLY needs some more practice, because he was about as thug as Tom Arnold. Rent it. You'll laugh.)
  • Maybe all of Nnamdi's extra ventures are part of the problem. It must be hard to stay focus when you have so much going on. The truth is wether or not the Eagles release him he's getting at least 4 million. From a business standpoint if I were him I would call the Eagles bluff and force them to pay me 4 million to play for somebody else. Even if Nnamdi chooses the pay cut he is running this thing. It's quite sad to see how Roseman and his inexperience has flipped it so the players have the upper hand now. You can say a lot of stuff about Banner (and most of it was negative), but he was all over those contracts like nobody before him. The Eagles never seemed like a team that was taken advance of by players until now.
  • I don't think his extra curriculars are the problem. He had other stuff going on in Oakland too. Fact is, almost NOBODY in an Eagles uniform has been that good in the last 2 years. I'm interested to see what a change will do for the team.

Aside from Nnamdi, I don't see another player that has any contract leverage on them. In fact I'm STILL trying to figure out why Vick took that pay cut to stay when he could have gotten comparable money (5-7 million) elsewhere.
  • Well Vick had them too, but he chose to stay for whatever the reason. Chip Kelly must have a gift for gab, because he's got all of these quarterbacks on the roster thinking they have a shot. Maybe his reaction to Nnamdi was so negative, because Nnamdi wasn't falling for his crap. I think Jackson's some of the extensions the Eagles gave out may come back to haunt them in hindsight.
  • I think Vick may have stayed because he knows on most teams who would be willing to give him a shot he would have had to fight for a starter's job anyway...why not stay here? I'm sure he feels his skills fit better than Foles' skills in Kelly's system and with a new coach he knew he would have a good chance to win the job so why go somewhere else?
  • That actually makes a lot of sense. It also seems extremely self motivated which has been the problem of the players on this roster for some time now.
  • What are the odds that the Eagles are waiting until they sign a CB to release Nnamdi?

Much as I don't like the idea of him, the guy I hear the most attached to us is Sean Smith. I would rather see Antoine Cason or Bradley Fletcher as I'm leery of Smith not caring where he goes as long as he's paid a lot. That's not to say he can't play, but I'd rather have a guy come here who wants to be HERE.

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.