July 28, 2013

HANDED A SLIGHT SLIGHT OF HAND

RECENTLY I watched a movie called 'Red Lights', wherein the character played by Cillian Murphy performed a few slight of hand tricks for a woman seated with him in a diner. She was awed and asked him how he did it. He answered with "You do most of the magic by looking in the wrong place." I think this is at the heart of what Chip Kelly is counting on.

The other day I wrote: While it's a fact that Andy Reid returned 8 of 11 of Ray Rhodes Offensive starters to the field, Reid also brought with him an innovative system AND he drafted a franchise QB to run that system. Kelly follows these numbers, but regardless of which QB he picks to run his system, none of them are franchise material. Then again Kelly's system is also not QB driven. A fact repeatedly lost on those focused on that one position.

Did you see it? Allow me to repeat that last part. "Kelly's system is also not QB driven. A fact repeatedly lost on those focused on that one position."

All offseason the debate/discussion has centered mostly around the QB, but even a quick look at Kelly's last decade or so will show that his system has produced a few star RB's, but NONE of his QB's get drafted above what, the 6th round? Most can't even hang on as NFL 3rd stringers. RB is where is system is powered. That's why even the Jeremy Maclin situation won't have them scrambling.

The QB issue is window dressing. It's a distraction to get people to shift focus away from what he's doing, onto something else. Problem is, the only people who take it seriously are non-NFL personnel.

Look, when Kelly didn't say what his offensive system would be, the NFL media (consisting of former players, some HOFers) chimed in and dismissively tagged him as running the Spread Option. Yesterday both Terrelle Davis and LaDanian Tomlinson all but dismissed the RELEVANCY of our QB competition, and concluded that Michael Vick would be the starter. Earlier Heath Evans and Charlie Casserly said the same thing http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelphia-eagles/0ap2000000222055/Who-should-start-Vick-or-Foles

My point is nobody Kelly WANTS to fool is falling for it. At this level you have few if any secrets. It's the reason why execution is SO important. Teams have watched film of the players AND the coaches. They see what you do, and they know what you knew up until the 00:00 point of the last game you played. 

There is no more slick at this level. You're either good or you're not. 

5 Comments:
  • Well if everyone thinks its Vick what happens IF foles is the guy come week 1? I don't think he will be but it would be the ultimate lady in the box switch.
  • If it's Foles then Foles plays.

Look I'm just pointing out how silly everyone else who's played of GM'ed NFL football thinks this whole thing is.

Generally in sports the most talented player plays, even if they're somewhat lazy in practice. Philadelphians have SEEN this. But this isn't a case of lazy talent. The most talented player at the position has bought in, and is by all accounts working his tail off. The Eagles would be the first team I ever heard of in ANY sport who didn't reward such a player with the top spot. And it sends a weird message.

But again, to answer your question, If Foles is the guy Week One, then he's the guy.
  • What is the obseession with Foles. I dont get it. He goes 1-5 in games that dont matter. Teams give him room to play because they can measure his game and these fans still talk like hes a quality NFL starter. Hes a backup.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Foles was a solid 3rd round pick as a West Coast QB. Everything from his drop, to his pocket management style, to his inner clock SCREAMS "WCO QB!". Reid ran a WCO and was wise to take Foles when he did. If Reid were still here Foles getting the nod at #1 would be legit.

Looking at what Kelly did at Oregon, and what Shurmur did in Cleveland, I don't get how the system is supposed to complement as opposed to expose Foles when the Eagles don't have a lead. In fact his skillset would act more like quicksand when paired with a system based largely on running the ball.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.