July 10, 2013

HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL CAN STILL WIN.

LAST year the Vikings, or better said Adrian Peterson and the Vikings, posted 10 wins behind a power running game, a solid but not stellar defense, and behind serviceable not stellar QB play. 

It was just meat and potatoes football. It wasn't pretty, but it worked well enough for a playoff berth.

And Jared Allen thinks they can do it again.

More to the point, he thinks there's room for what he termed "old school football" in the modern age. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217039/article/jared-allen-oldschool-style-makes-vikings-contender

I happen to agree. In fact. I'm counting on it.

While I don't see us going 10-6 this year, I certainly see the importance of that style of offense. It's a style that lends itself to a street fighter's mentality. You get to see who is and who isn't down for whatever. Like I was told in my first year "A man can't hide in this game. Other sports yeah, but football will expose you." (The guy who said that to me was a bit of a doof, but THOSE words were all truth.) 

We have a street fighter's style mixed with a roster full of guys with something to prove. The argument is that since our talent isn't as expensive, we don't really stand a chance this year. Funny how nobody really wants to put a hard number on that prediction, but given our recent history it's a real safe call to make. Unless you visit a one of the forums. http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/forum/_/name/oak/oakland-raiders#!/topic/1340522268-758-914 for example.

The fans know what's up! Every so often you see some desperate soul saying tank, but the vast majority of us want to see our team fight each week like we have as much right to one that "W" as any opponent we face.

11 Comments:
  • Just look at the Ravens. Thuggery still matters.
  • It's a brutish game at it's heart. I mean look at the two teams who went to the Super Bowl. Worth a try!
  • The Eagles might have a handful of players that could survive being on that type of team(Ravens). Which Eagles players could make it?
  • Cary Williams. DeMeco Ryans. Kurt Coleman. Bryce Brown. Jason Avant. Brent Celek. Colt Anderson. Phillip Hunt.
  • I would probably add Cole, Herremans, & Chaney.
  • Would love to see the eagles get away from so much finesse. Won't happen with the read option but should happen in the red zone with brown and Casey to pound it in. Send Watkins in at guard and slide both herremans and Johnson over one spot to tackle and TE and just see who wants it more.

Ur raiders got a long road ahead of them. Gotta pray Peyton retires soon Andy flops and the chargers don't turn it around under their new system. But all three teams have better talent overall. But it seems the raiders are ready for the slow and steady course so good luck.
  • Regarding the Eagles and your statement about who wants "IT" more, I think that's it in a nutshell. I think that the problem is that over the years there really wasn't a focused idea of what "IT" was, For fans "IT" is a Super Bowl, but we've seen over and over again, that that wasn't really as important to this player as it was to that player.

Right now it seems that before they can focus on an "IT" they need to know who they're counting on to get wherever. The bus comes with a driver. Same with a taxi, a train, a plane or a ship. Once you have a driver THEN you give him a destination.
    Our guys aren't even THINKING Super Bowl because all the talk is about winning a job. Meanwhile the giants are thinking Super Bowl; the Foreskins are thinking division; the Cowboys are thinking playoffs; and we're still stuck on JOBS. Our "IT" is scattered.
    -----------------------------------------------------

With the Raiders, I actually LOVE the fact that we get to sharpen ourselves against a Peyton Manning, and an Andy Reid. As they say: "If you wanna BE the man, you gotta BEAT the man." And you know what happens whenever your team does well. People say "Yeah but look at who they beat!" This way when we start to win consistently everyone shuts up.

I also like the fact that EVERYONE gets that this is a process. Even fans of other teams.
  • Very good way to put it. The Eagles are scattered. I think Vick was right to be named QB strter at least then leaders might emerge. But the way they have it now its just a drama filled training camp which will result in a fractured lockeroom. The bottom line is the players arent going to turnover fast enough to save Chips ass. Most of this group is what he will be working with for the next 3 years so he better strt moving things along. His procrastination will only make things take longer.
  • I think it's a bagged year regardless at this point. Camp will begin with them having to backtrack all the stuff that wasn't gelling during OTA's. We'll still be installing while others are practicing and still thinking when other teams are trusting what they see and just playing.

Things could get crazy, injuries and such giving us a chance to catch up, but that's a weak thing to hope for or count on.
  • You are right its overthinking. The best bet would be to try to mold a winner with the talent you have. Get the most with what you have even if it means using Vick for a few games or a whole season. But , the idea that losses will build your team because they are waiting for some pie in the sky player is a long shot at best.
  • And what happens if the guy you tanked for, ends up a bust?! You just gave up a year of your ENTIRE ROSTER'S career for nothing.

As bad as the JaMarcus Russell experience was, it would have been INFINITELY worse had we intentionally tanked to get him. Or for that matter Todd Marinovich.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Auburn ball boy's crazy speed

WATCH: See the catch of the year

Rams release Michael Sam

Stephen Hill's agent blames Sanchez, Tebow for release

Report: Beckham injured avoiding paparazzi

Ohio State TE wearing Braxton Miller's number

Bills sign Kyle Orton

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.