January 29, 2013

Have I ever said Chip kelly will fail in the NFL??

all I've said is the  many questions....We have a basketball coach in eugene who ??? as a High school basketball coach won a state title...wow in high school??? now this guy coaches in the NAIA leagues and hasnt done well.

this could be Chip Kelly...No experience in the pros but ?? you've read his bio and did a hell of job in college Sidenote COLLEGE....

and didn't I  just read a persons 5 year plan???  what was it...and 8-8 year next year...followed by a 12-4 season and 2 super bowls??? and winning the 2nd??? 

im sorry but isnt that lot of Pressure on a coach who has NO experience????

my God id be happy for a game plan as kelly has "win the day"  meaning one game at a time?????

this sounds like most college fans???  either win or the world has ended???? 

11 Comments:
  • VOICE OF REASON TIME!!!!!!!!!

As an Eagle fan I didn't want Chip Kelly. Let's get that out there RIGHT NOW. I wanted Gus Bradley or Vic Fangio, because I was sure we (or anyone else) couldn't get Jon Gruden or Bill Cowher. I wanted a coach who knew the NFL. Not football, the NFL.

I wasn't opposed to Chip Kelly over his controversial X's and O's. All football coaches know X's and O's. All I've heard about Chip Kelly is that he's an absolute wizard with X's and O's. I'm sure he can adjust his X's to find advantages vs the other guys O's just fine.

It's the part of coaching that has nothing to do with the X's and O's that had ME worried. Then Chip Kelly himself justified that worry during his introductory press conference, when he said "football is football"
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Live-chat-Eagles-introduce-Chip-Kelly.html
    Hey Chip, Steve Spurrier much?

The job of an NFL coach isn't just game-planning. You also have to be able to handle full-grown men who are in most cases millionaires, many cases nationally recognized stars, and even (albeit rarely) reality TV sensations who are intentionally being difficult to draw attention to themselves. And that's before we get to talking about anybody being in a contract year, or having been asked to take a pay cut.

College players don't get into Twitter wars do they? Sure they do. Do they get the level of attention that LeSean McCoy's Twitter wars get? Or the level of attention (and backlash) that Rashard Mendenhall got over his Osama bin Laden tweet? Nope. Not at all.

Kelly has to be able to handle these sort of distractions, even while coming up with ways to win against more talented competition than he's ever faced, all the while no longer enjoying the advantage of superior talent.

He's drafting now, not recruiting.

College players don't get college coaches fired.

This isn't just a different level of the game. Every aspect of the game has changed on him whether he realizes it or not. If he does realize it, his transition will be hard enough; but at least he should be open to learning and possibly some degree of change. If he truly doesn't get it, his transition will be impossible. He will crash and he will burn.

Based on what he has done so far, if I go game by game on this years schedule and start to pencil in the wins, I don't see ONE win on the schedule. Not one.

There is simply nothing to project as far as the Eagles go. A staff, a system, players studying their new roles or playbooks. So far we don't have any of these things. Add to that a coach with no one in-house whose "been there done that" to look to for guidance when the newness becomes too much, and nowhere in there is a recipe for a winner.

• Let's be real here. You've penciled in more wins per season than the Eagles have had in the last two years combined so that hasn't worked out so well either. Not many expected the Eagles to go roaring into the playoffs the year Reid took over just like most won't expect that out of Kelly either after a 4-12 season. I would guess you had some of the same concerns then that you do now...it's natural when new coaches come in and we as fans have no clue what to expect. You want to go on record by stating you have doubts (or is it closer to you guaranteeing this isn't going to work) and of course some of us have our doubts and worries also but I'm going to give the man some time and hope he can turn this team around. I've stated it with Vick and I'll state it about Reid also...the Eagles have to make changes when what they already have isn't working. There are never any guarantees and mortal locks and there are none that the coaches you would have prefered would have worked HERE. Reid had a great career here years ago, he may go down in flames in KC. Bradley may get fired in a couple years in Jacksonville and although we will know more about him as a head coach in a couple years that doesn't mean he wouldn't have worked out in Philly but that doesn't matter right now...right now Chip Kelly is the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. You used to type that whoever was the Eagles QB we had to get behind him...doesn't that work for head coaches?
  • It most certainly does also work for coaches. If you recall I wasn't a fan of Kolb either when he got the starting spot, but (like you said) I typed we had to get behind him.

It's not like I'm going to root against the Eagles just because they hired Chip Kelly, but I'm not going into this without speaking my conscience and sticking with my convictions until they are proven wrong.
  • thanks Birdflipper
    I think ??? the eagles got so desperate??? they saw what Chip did here in Eugene and went wild
    but forgetting this is college not the NFL...
    we all know what kelly did at Oregon but can he do the same in the NFL??
    so many questions???? from whos going to be the QB???? will kelly make football watching like watching basketball???
  • If eagle fans think Kelly will have similar success in the pros like what he did in college you are seriously kidding yourselves.
  • You hope you are correct for your own sake. You don't know what's going to happen. We don't either, but for the record I will tell you that with or without Chip Kelly the Eagles will be relevant again.
  • For my own sake??? You don't honestly think that I lose sleep over what the eagles are doing? My only point Easy is that he's not gonna be able to have the same success in the pros that he had at Oregon. Remember, only a very small percentage of college players ever make it to the NFL, and many of those fail when they do. At Oregon it was like he was able to sign dozens of first round picks every season because of the success of the Oregon recruiting program. In the NFL you only get a crack at the best athletes in the draft if your team failed miserably in the prior season, and those picks are a crap shoot at best(reference Ryan Leaf to name one of the biggest failures). Blue chip high school athletes want to play for programs they know will get them seen on a larger scale. That's why the USC's, Ohio States, Michigans. LSU's and Oregons will always recruit the best talent. Kelly was able to employ many of the best high school athletes year after year and it translated into dynamic teams. But he never delivered a National Championship in the end. He may have success in the NFL or he may just be another Spurrier, only time will tell. I'm just saying he will never have the kind of success in the NFL that he had in college.
  • and in most cases the players are getting payed MORE than the coach!!!!
  • Like I said from pee wees to pros the same principles apply. Kelly is right. Its starts with the players and the talent. The odds of winning go up as the level of talent goes up. Its that simple. Thats assuming the playing field is level. Do the Eagles have talent? Some. Do they need more? Yes. The main thing is that the talent is harnessed and team oriented. The front office and coach failed miserably inapplying the talent they had on the team in 2012. Kelly gives them a new opportunity. He must find a combination of the talent he has and the future talent that comes on board to blend it in his vision. If he can sell his team on his vision he can be as successful as any coach in the league. However, if his vision is stifled , tinkered with by Lurie and Roseman and his hands are tied , the players wont by into his vision and he will fail. The whole organization must have a leader and right now the ball is in Chips court. lets hope he acts on his own ideas and doesnt become a yes man.
  • will he be successful in the NFL?? chances are ?? NO
    I almost look at it as playing the lottery.
    a little luck here a little luck there....the right coaches, the right players...but its going to take time....
    yea sure his first year?? the super bowl???? NO I dont think so tim....
  • I can't say as I was thrilled with the hire but Laurie does do his HW when making decisions with HCs. I personally would have liked a defensive minded head coach but that didn't happen. Picking a new HC is a lot like drafting a player, there are no way to tell that they will be able to make the leap from college to the pros or coordinator to HC. No one thought that a special teams coach could be a HC but that's been proven wrong. Only time will tell. I just hope that Kelly makes hires guys that will get our D back to being feared again. high powered offense is nice and fun to watch, but D is what wins championships.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

See A&M's sick new locker room

New Redskins stadium in the works

Ranking the top 10 NFL running backs

Josh Shaw admits faking rescue story

Writers talk KD's big sponsor choice

Boxer in custody after shooting cousin

Gordon a contender for AL MVP?

Second-year NFL breakout players

Boris Becker's gross case of tennis elbow

ESPN 'regrets' Sam showering report

'Madden 15' has hilarious glitches

Gordon's suspension upheld by NFL

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.