November 05, 2012

Heavy Mettle

Tonight is the night we see where the grit of this team resides. Is in the poor play and lack of urgency that we've witnessed the last game vs the Falcons? Or is it the team we saw vs the Ravens that looked like a heavy weight contender?

Which ever team shows up tonight, will probably be the one we can expect to see from this point forward (for this season anyway).

The time is NOW. The urgency is NOW. There is no room for speeches like "We will get better", "I take this as my responsibility as head coach", "This last performance was embarrassing". It's time to put up or shut up. Everyone knows whats on the line when it comes to jobs on the line etc.

The math is quite simple: 8-8 is not good enough. The owner said it, and the media/fans will hold him to his word. Falling to 3-5 will be a disaster and the backlash will be severe.

So which Rocky shows up tonight? The one who keeps getting beaten in the face and falls down. Or the one who is tired of falling on the mat and fights back like a Champion? Football is a game of momentum, and there is no bigger game than tonight. In a few short hours we will all know.

In the mighty words of Apollo Creed:

"Ding, Ding"!

21 Comments:
  • Well they aren't playing Apollo Creed tonight. They are playing a fighter between Glass Joe and E. Honda. If they lose this one they might as well pack it in.
  • Ultimately Apollo was killed and Rocky ended up with brain damage. LOL. But yeah I loved the analogy. Remember though it took Rocky 2 fights to beat Creed AND Lang. We lost this one, but it's about how you finish, isn't it?
  • It's sad you still don't get it. After year 14 of Andy Reid's 5 year plan this IS THE FINISH.
  • Up yours rocky
  • Hey Rocky has nothing to do with this. Leave him out of it.
  • Speaking of heavy metal I may just put some Black Sabbath on and bang my head against one of kellyscott's walls. Tell me people "Am I Going Insane"?
  • You need more question marks.
  • Funny, Eazy. My post actually prompted me to break out the album "Sabotage" which has the song "Am I Going Insane" on it yesterday. Haven't listened to it in YEARS...I mean a long freaking time. Forgot how good it is. Shows how much I've mellowed...just don't get out too much of the hard stuff anymore. I did listen to some AC-DC last week...Black Sabbath this week. Maybe I'm just feeling a little nostalgic. Whenever I reach for the old stuff these days it's more likely to be Pink Floyd than Led Zeppelin or even some Motown over Hendrix. God I'm getting old.
  • You should turn down the play by play of Eagles games and turn up some of the oldies but goodies. It will be a much better listening experience.
  • Not a bad thought. Nothing melancholy though...might push me over the edge. What I should do is listen to Reese and Quick while watching the games but it would probably be heartbreaking listening to 2 homers be so down on this team.
  • I'm not trying to understand or dissect this team. All I know is, I will always support the Philly Eagles. It's disappointing as a fan, but that is sports. My son's hs team is playing their first playoff game Friday in over 20 years, and they really have no chance at all, but they are an awesome group of country rednecks that somehow surprised everyone this year and earned a spot in the playoffs. That's sports. There were no expectations for this team and they had a winning record. There were high expectations for the Eagles, and things have not been so good. Through, rain, snow, wind, hail, I will support my teams. EAGLES!! (Go 'Hawks!)
  • Hello, goddess. Most of us on here are supporting them...we are just frustrated with back to back season failures (let's be real, this season is going nowhere). I would think that everyone on here was disappointed last night (except for one "fan") which means we obviously wanted a different result. I have stated that I will be in front of the TV week 17 no matter what..even if the Eagles are 3-12 at that point but if I see a problem with the team and I choose to discuss it I as a fan have the right to do that...of course I need to throw in my "hollywood disclaimer" AS LONG AS IT's BASED ON TRUTH!

Glad to see your son's team is in the playoffs...how is he doing?
  • He really doesn't play much, but he is glad to be a part of the team. There are about 32 kids varsity & jv total, so how they made it his far is amazing. 4-6 last year 7-3 this year. They should have won their division, but half the starters were suspended for a game (which really the school screwed up) and it was the game for first place. Thanks for asking.

As for the game last nite, it was depressing how the Eagles did move the ball in the first half but could not get it into the end zone. The whole team is really to blame. Vick turning the ball over, lineman not blocking, stupid penalties (I do get ticked when a player gets an unsporstmanlike conduct penalty & smiles about it.) Honestly, I haven't been watching the NFL as much this season. After Friday, that should be a different story.
  • Good for them! I'm sure it's been a good ride watching them turn it around.

Hope to see you here more often. Things haven't changed too much besides yardbarker deleting many of the multis. Not sure if they got them all but someone's peanut gallery is gone at least...that's a plus anyway.
  • Let's be real. Everybody who is on this site claiming to be an Eagles fan supports the Eagle (save maybe one person), but "support" has nothing to do with accepting. I don't ACCEPT mediocrity and I SUPPORT change. I don't ACCEPT players blaming fans for their failures and I SUPPORT removing those types of cancers from the locker room. I don't ACCEPT that at 3-5 this team is actually trying to win for this team and I SUPPORT getting rid of those players. This idea of fan who are SUPPORTING mediocrity are somehow better is nonsense. The are no different than people who SUPPORT drug using family members by IGNORING their habit. Sometimes you gotta be proactive to show your true support and not be lazy an ignorant to the facts.
  • Hefreakinlarious stuff, the only team that could have showed up...showed up, a vastly over rated football team. All you guys who are calling for Reids head are right, if you expect to turn the corner he has to go. And so does Vick, he's taken too many shots to the head.
  • Losing 4 out of 5 starting Offensive Linemen definitely made things a LOT worse. The Saints looked like the Steel Curtain defense vs the pass and still not getting why the Eagles don't RUN the ball more (which they did effectively almost all year long). Reid is disillusional believing he can throw the ball 35+ times a game with that type of pass protection.

If the Eagles are going to do anything on offense this season, it will have to be based out of a 2 TE set or FB at ALL TIMES. Where the run will have to take precedent over every other call on offense. McCoy should carry the ball 20-25 times per game, and Bryce Brown should carry it at least 10-15 times (assuming Reid is paranoid McCoy can't take that kind of workload).

The defense on the other hand looked a BIT better than the previous week (not saying that's even acceptable). But given a new coordinator and facing two of the more prolific offenses in the NFL I guess one less touchdown allowed was an improvement?

Either way this team is headed toward the end of the line given the way they have performed the past 4 games. I think the fans are ready for a change, and we will more than likely get it at the end of the season. Hopefully they can bounce back quickly b/c the lean years of Bobby Hoying/Detmet etc is not something to look forward to.

I'd be curious to see if the Eagles would consider switching to a 3-4 defense if the coaching regime changed entirely. I still think Roseman is an excellent evaluator of talent, and we COULD move in a new direction on defense (not that it can't get any worse than it already is). Cox makes a perfect 3-4 DE and the only real missing piece would be a HUGE NT and viable DE opposite Cox. Some of the better defenses in the league are 3-4 (Steelers/Texans/49ers etc) so why not follow their blue print? Just a thought. ..

Anyway, what is usually a lot of fun (Dallas week) has turned into a lackluster snoozer. Both the Cowboys and Eagles stink this year. And I'm not sure anyone is really excited about watching the "Toilet Bowl".
  • Latin my man. If you still don't get that Andy Reid is the reason we don't run the ball consistently and the fact McCoy isn't getting the touches consistently then there is no wonder why people still are in love with Reid and can't see why this team is on a fast pace to nowhere. The problems were there before all of the injuries. Gooooooooooo Gruden!
  • I'm not sure why everyone is so excited about Gruden. Sure, he did win a SB with his FIRST year in Tampa. But let's not forget why he was fired:

The Buccaneers went winless in the month of December, in no small part due to a defensive collapse that saw the team give up an average of 30.75 points per game.

And out of his 7 seasons with the Bucs he only had two seasons where he won more than 10 games (2002 SB year and 2005). The other 5 seasons were:

9-7, 9-7, 7-9, 5-11, 4-12.... Ehhh..

I'd much rather pull Bill Cowher out of retirement and give him a shot. Out of his 15 seasons, he only posted two years with double digit losses (149-90 overall record) with 2 SB appearances (1-1 record) and multiple playoff appearances.

Plus his fiery coaching style is EXACTLY what Philly is about.

I say, if we change coaches. Bring in the chin for the win! :D
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.