February 04, 2013

HERE'S WHY VICK WILL START IN 2013.

THIS whole fear of Michael Vick returning as the 2013 starter may be much ado about nothing. From all indicators there are two more days left before his roster bonus kicks in, and there is no guarantee that he'll still be on the team by then. 

Moreover, even if he is on the team come next week he, can still be cut like any other player. Of course that would cost the Eagles $7M ($3M bonus paid out come the 6th, and then $4M in dead money from cutting him), if he's cut any time after the 6th.

The Eagles want him to take a pay cut to make him easier to trade. This is why he won't renegotiate. That $16M is a lot of cake to bake for a guy on your bench. That means if the Eagles do move him, they have to do it at his $16M price tag, since he won't budge on it. That just about guarantees that Vick starts wherever he is. His price tag keeps him playing. No team in the NFL can justify $1M per game to ride pine.

Brings this all back to the Eagles. If they can't move him in a trade, then they're left with the two options of: A) Cutting and getting nothing in return for a veteran QB that will start somewhere (KC, NYJ, or ARI for example); or B) Keep him and start him. 

If he's cut and pursued by a team seeking a starter, he'll be able to name his price. It'll be lower than $16M, but he won't go where he can't play. The entire key to him starting is to dig his heels in on his current contract, even though it's highly unlikely he'll ever see that money.

16 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • You're wrong about the 3 million dollar bonus. There is something in his contract that states that if he is cut by March 11th (the 1st day of free agency) any team that picks him up is responsible for paying that bonus. I don't believe it's in form of a bonus but just whatever his salary is from his new team. Basically all it seems to be is a waiver stating that the Eagles bonus is void if Vick is signed by another team if his new contract is over 3 million. The Eagles will have to make up any difference if Vick isn't offered a contract valued at 3 million for the season. So it's either a 4 million cap hit because of the dead money and owe him NOTHING or pay a player who has been a big part of the losing for the past two years another 16 million dollars plus...looking at it this way I think this is why he WON'T be back this year.
  • I may be wrong about the bonus, I'll concede that as I'm not an expert on NFL contracts and I don't dig too deep into the details of them.

And I'm not saying he'll be back. I can almost hear the stress of you hitting keys when you write about the guy. Relax, no one is saying Vick WILL be an Eagle. What people are saying is that as long as he's still on the roster, he still is.

The fact remains that the Eagles have made no move or sent no signal that they plan on letting him go. The website has published a lead on the idea of drafting a CB with the 4th overall pick(indicating that DRC is out). There are a couple of minor vids about QB's E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith, but Manuel is seen a 3rd-4th rounder, and Smith has been hinted at going to KC.

Considering that this draft is seen as being devoid of a franchise QB even at the top, why waste a 2013 pick when they'd likely just spend another in 2014 in what is rumored to be a better class at the position?
  • Do the words in capital have that much of an affect on you, flip? I'm stressing words and am not stressed physically at all when I type about Vick. I know I have no power over what Kelly decides to do and I'll deal with it just fine even if he decides to keep Vick. I'll admit that I will be extremely surprised especially if you end up being correct and it's for the full 16 million.

No mention of cutting Vick on the Eagles website means absolutely nothing to me. I check the website out myself and there have been numerous times that Spadaro has been surprised by moves the Eagles make (or so he says but I've seen plenty of stories break with no mention on their site). I usually hear reports break on WIP before any hint to some stories ever make it to their website. I would guess that Vick's release if it happens will go down the same way.

Not drafting a QB may have no bearing on whether they release Vick. If the Eagles are going to venture into this season with a QB currently on the roster I'm hoping that QB is Foles. Reid seemed comfortable with that (an act of desperation but he never went back to Vick even though Foles only won one game), it wouldn't shock me if Kelly (who knows Foles well) decides to go that route for a year to see what he can do...it sure as hell would save the team a lot of money. I also wouldn't be surprised if this year's starter is not on the roster yet. Yes, not a lot of what people believe are franchise quarterbacks are in this year's draft but I'm sure not many teams thought Kaepernick would have this much success this early or they may have spent a first round pick on him, same can be said about Russell Wilson. I think most of us would love to see either of them in Eagles green right now. You do get that when the 2014 draft rolls around there may also be no sure fire franchise QBS to choose form either, don't you? Sometimes teams look for a long time before finding their guy...that doesn't mean they should keep throwing 16-17 million a year at a quarterback who isn't getting it done. There could also be a free agent or two that has Kelly's eye...we just don't know. As for Vick we will find out within a bit over a month whether or not they want him back...could be as soon as a couple days.
  • rememeber a test later...
  • Vick could excel in an offense that is built to his strengths. He's still one of the best athletes in the league.
  • I keep hearing that that's what Kelly does well.

Between his obvious physical skillset and the team's most expensive (and moody) WR publicly coming out crowing for both Kelly and Vick, I wonder if that may nudge Kelly further towards making Vick his starter.
  • Watching Vick for the last two years plus I doubt he EXCELS in Kelly's offense especially in year one. So when does he absorb the system and starts taking off with the rest of the offense (if he ever does)? In year two when he'll be 34?...year 3 at 35? How many times is he on the bench with an injury since we all hear that Kelly's quarterbacks take a lot of punishment? There is no way they will pay a man 16 million hoping he can pick up an offense when plenty of film is there to see that he continues to revert to his old ways. So many reasons why the smart move would be for Kelly to start looking for his guy instead of hoping Vick can turn his dismal Eagles career around.
  • If he's willing to take a pay cut it's worth a shot.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Just one word typed in all caps here, but I SWEAR the tone of your posts about Vick sound like you have something personal against the man!

He didn't light it up. Duh! Name one Eagles QB since McNabb left that did (besides Vick). Last year he had a passer rating of 78, Foles was 79. Not bad considering they were playing without a line.

Until today I really hadn't looked at VICK specifically, but now in light of all those things that must be considered for him and all other Eagles QB's since 2009, I hope like hell that they start him this year.
  • LOL...not at all. I don't hate the man and have given him props for seemingly getting his life together but if it makes you feel good thinking I have something personal against Vick then go for it. I'm not going to lie though, flip, never was a huge Vick fan and I wasn't thrilled when the Eagles signed him but as an Eagles fan I would never think of turning my back on them for doing that. I meant everything I typed on here in the past about rooting for him while he was on the field and root for him I did. I was absolutely thrilled with his final amazing game as an Eagle in 2010 when he helped bring the Eagles back against the Giants. Unfortunately it's been a slow drop back down to earth since then for him with a slight bump up in the final 4 games of 2011 (against HORRIBLE defenses). This past year he has been pitiful. I'm not sure what you're seeing and why after 2 plus years of so-so to bad play you hope like hell they start him but I don't think it happens. I just read a report that the rumors are that they will keep him past tomorrow's deadline but tht doesn't change my opinion. I would guess that the Eagles know there will be a quarterback needy team or two that will offer Vick a contract worth the value of the bonus and have no worries about keeping him longer...and like I stated before if Vick is back I will deal with it. I'll hope (once again)that he proves my fears wrong but after 2 years of watching him storm into the season (sarcasm), I'll have my worries.
  • Now that's just a little confusing. You made it clear the Foles had a better passing rating than Vick with even less of a line, but you are really hoping they start Vick despite the fact he makes millions more??? You sure you don't have an issue with Foles?
  • I'm not even sure what he meant by looking at Vick specifically. Hasn't he paid attention the last couple years? Vick played bad this year and wasn't all that much better last year with a pretty good line and most his weapons. Three years in as the Eagles starter and he still hasn't made it through a year without being injured and has only made it through one in his whole career. I'm not suggesting that Foles is the answer but Foles was the similar passer with the same line, with fewer weapons considering McCoy and Jackson were hurt quite a few of his games and he had a higher completeion rate. I get that Reid had Foles throw safer passes on more plays but he is also much younger and has a much higher learning curve than a 33 year old man who has already shown that when things get tough he tries to rely more on his fading skills then stay within the system.
  • No issue with Foles at all. Everything I've heard about Kelly says he favors mobility in his QB. Kelly himself has said he doesn't NEED a running QB, and that he liked Foles toughness when he played against him.

This led me to believe that Foles would be guy initially.

But once the Eagles said they wouldn't rush cutting Vick, then said they'd meet with Dennis Dixon, THEN put up vids featuring Geno Smith and E.J. Manuel...All indications are that Kelly may not need a mobile QB, but he really looks like he may want one.

Besides, Foles is already on the roster and not even in a contract year. If Kelly was so inclined, cutting Vick (who so many seem to hate), and anointing Foles would hardly rock the boat. The fact that he hasn't, I see as a signal.

No issue at all. When a chick keeps giving you the cold shoulder it's probably best not to grope her. You have to admit, Kelly hasn't exactly given Foles the come hither stare.

I'm just sayin' is all.
  • Neither quarterback is ideal in my opinion. At this point one has to question the durability of both players. The decision making of both players is questionable. Foles passes tend to float on his deep balls, and Vick has a lot of difficulties with three step drops and screen passes due to his size. Clearly they must think they can make some kind of run if Vick is their guy. They have been down this road before. We already know how this is going to turn out. Despite that knowledge the pressure will be on Vick and Kelly to produce next season. Choosing Vick means this team has no intentions of trying to rebuild. They have also limited themselves in the amount if money they can allocate to signing free agents. It will all depend on how much Of a cut Vick will be willing to take. Kelly wants to come out running, but all of early moves makes one wonder about how decisive he is as he still hasn't completed his coaching staff and is dragging this Vick thing out.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Tebow makes 'GMA' debut

Kaepernick on language flag: ‘I didn’t say anything’

RG3: MRI results positive, no fracture

Adrian Peterson to play in Week 3

Five QBs who should be benched

NFL Week 2 statistical tailgate

NFL admits refs erred on Harvin TD

Vikings may try to trade Peterson?

RG3 to only miss four to five weeks?

Peyton chews out Julius Thomas

Was Sherman exposed on Sunday?

Papelbon melts down after ejection

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.