September 22, 2013

Hollywood Is Right The Eagles Lack Talent.

Thanks to Andy Reid's subpar drafting since about 2007 the Eagles lack talent and depth on their roster. In fact many people love to praise Reid for drafting McNabb in 99, but have anyone you looked at the rest of the picks that year for the Eagles? Fringe NFL players at best. In 2000 after Corey Simon (who ate himself out of the NFL and was a good not great player) the Eagles to Stinky Pinky and some dude named Gari Scott. In 01 the great Andy Reid took Freddie Mitchel over Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Bree's, Kyle Vanden Bosh, Alge Crumpler, and Chad Johnson. That's just pathetic, but at least out of this draft they got a couple of guys that played a little for them. 02 is probably Reid's best draft, but there's no HOF players on the list. 03 McDougal, L.J. Smith, and Billy McMullen are the first three picks. Does anything else need to be written on that one? 04 Brought us the Nut Job Andrews and nothing else. 05 Reid's best pick was 5th rounder Trent Cole. Mike Patterson was the first pick, and the picked Todd Herremans. Not bad overall all when you consider all of the previous failures. The only player still and Eagle from this draft is Jason Avant. Quite sad indeed. 07 Kevin Kolb was our first pick, but the guy drafted right after him Eric Weddle could have been our elite safety we still are looking for after Brain Dawkins (who was a Ray Rhodes pick). They also could have had Lamar Woodley, but Andy so desperately needed that QB of the future. 08 netted the Eagles one player and bunch of guy if I actually mentioned here may get you sick. At least we got Desean Jackson here. 09 you get Maclin and Shady, and for an Andy Reid draft that's a home run, but when you consider the fact Maclin may only be the fourth best receiver chosen out of that draft it becomes less of a home run and more of a ground rule double. The 2010 draft is a series of would have, should have, could have, but Reid didn't so we ended up with a bunch of players who either aren't starting or shouldn't be starting in this league while other teams took the better guy. Just think Earl Thomas, but there were plenty more guys. In 2011 our first three picks were a fireman, a safety who was slower than grass growing, and a running back pretending to play cornerback, the lesser of the Mathews family, and Jason Kelce. Andy loved Kelce so much he drafted his brother. 2012 the jury is still out on this group, but all we can tell for certain is that Reid wasn't along on these choices. Roseman began intervening at least by 2011, not that his pick of Watkins was all that great. There you have it. The truth is Reid has made some very poor choices on players and that's why the Eagles are where they are right now. The Eagles tried to compensate for being such a poor draft decision maker by assembling the "Dream Team." It was a nightmare to say the least. Mike Vick is an Eagle now, because Reid the so called QB guru failed to find an adequate replacement for McNabb. Reid gave up two number one picks, because he failed to find an adequate replacement for Tre Thomas. In reality Reid never was able to replace many of the Ray Rhodes era draft picks and that ultimately became his undoing. One Ce Dawkins left Reid never won another playoff game with the Eagles and the team began what appeared to be a rapid decline, but over the years you can see mistake after mistake made by Reid and his terrible drafting ability. You can't expect Chip Kelly to fix in three games what Reid has destroyed over 14 years.

19 Comments:
  • There was another blunder in 2010 that might actually be almost as bad as Graham over Thomas. Daniel T'eo Neshiam over Navorro Bowman in Round 3. Also there was Alex Henrey over Geno Atkins in Round 4. The majority of scouts and FO personnel around the NFL had T'eo Neshiam as a 5th rounder at best.
  • All very true. Andy Reid has doomed this team with poor draft choices after poor draft choices is the reason why he's no longer coaching here and why he's given Chip Kelly far less to work with than what he was given. There are drafts where none of the players are on the roster anymore. So many wasted high round picks were under this guy. You can't make a team through free agency. You build one through the draft. Andy wasn't good enough at building through the draft.
  • Well it all adds up. Bad choices and bailing out on some free agents. He left the frabchise a mess. I think that whole front office really believed that their system was more important than the personnel. They got drunk on their success and even tossed McNabb aside like he was not even relevant. Its become difficult to measure improvement. From a statistical standpoint our defense stinks but from an effort view they have improved. I maintain that our personnel this year on defense might be even worse than last year. And if you might agree thats the case than its a marked improvement this year overall. So I like Flip and he could be ultimaely right about Chip but its way too early to even think of blaming him. In fact , if you view his team so far from penalty standpoint and executing in a small window of time hes done a very good job. Maybe his goal is to just get consistent effort and execute plays. Considering the mess the last two years Ill take it for now. As I said the focus of the team may be all we can get out of this season and if that is all we get and its good it will pay dividends down the road. It is also imperative that this front office not play the games of the past because if that happens and the lockeroom catches wind of something fishy going on it will get drastically worse. This is a very touchy and unstable situation. Lets hope leadership emerges.
  • Many of the problems that plagued Reid are still here, and that is due to the players that were chosen. The offense still turns the ball over too much, the line is still struggling, and the defense can't get turnovers. Reid's high drafted kicker can't make field goals. This isn't a 3 NFL game fix. I'm not going to tell you Kelly is the answer, but I can't see how anyone would state Kelly is a failure after three games unless there was an agenda behind it.
  • I agree. We are going to need some player turnover and get some chip guys. He has a vision of what he wants and Im sure a bunch of guys dont fit his mold. Thats going to take some time. But Flip is right that from a gameday perspective we need to continue to see growth and strategy. i dont think the Eagles have had that coach yet ever. Reid was relatively good from an organization standpoint until they gave him too many responsibilities. But he wasnt a Parcells type by any stretch. parcells could measure you and then systematically reel you in. I think kelly can grow but we will see.
  • Reid is going to get a bunch of praise for turning around the Chiefs. The season before last they were a playoff team with multiple probowl players. Last season they all got hurt. They were already a very talented football team. Lets dee what they do when Reid's picks start filling up the team.
  • Funny thing is if we go back a til 09 we can see everyone one here so happy after the draft. Everyone loved the macho Harris pick. Hell judging by here the 10-12 drafts were gold mines. The 01 draft brought us Derrick burgess ( great player for Oakland and in our sb run), buckhalter ( who was the star of the three headed monster and it took a while for bwest to unseat him, freakin knee injuries). Matt ware was great in the slot. Not a star but pretty sure he did start a couple years in Arizona. Demps just kicked our @ss. The 99 draft brought us dmac, Barry Gardner (who also played better once he left), Cecil Martin ( it's a fb in a Reid offense he did the job) brezinski and welbourn were both solid lineman for us. U don't win as many games as Reid did without drafting some good players. He got worse as the years went on no doubt but I think he kept going after the high motor guy with good work ethic who lacks the overall talent. This team doesn't even have anyone from the 04 season left on it. Why does it matter who we drafted in 01?
  • Perhaps if Andy drafted a real WR in 01 or even Crumpler we would have had to have TO completely obliterate the team by 05. It all adds up, and the truth is players like Welborn, and even Buck were nice pieces, but the reality is Reid missed far too many times with his high picks.mthe guys who were supposed to be the super stars on the roster were at best journeyman. Some of them never saw the field. How can a man who drafted for a team for 13 years never pick a sure fire HOF player? I mean even McNabb is a fringe HOF player at best.
  • You bring in a college coach like PRINGLES and you expect to win? This is the worst coach in the NFL and it showed since game two. Flip was right. We both sat on the couch and predicted the plays. With the talent the Turds have they should be a force but there is no guidance or leadership. Send PRINGLES back to college. May I add that without Pringles, Oregon is second in the nation. They really miss the genius.
  • Spoken like a true Brokeback fan. Stick to your own team. You know nothing about this one. Oh btw, you never did answer my question from a previous post. Aside from McCoy and Jackson, who are the members of this team that are truly indispensable?

Hell I'm an Eagles fan and I've probably forgotten more about the Cowboys and football in general than you will ever know.
  • He knows nothing about the Cryboys. He could careless about that team. Don't even read what he writes.
  • At what point do you bench Riley Cooper? This guy should be demoted. He's not a big person who beat little people.
  • Reid left us in a bad spot. All things considered, Chip is doing a great to have us competing in each game.
  • thats pretty much my view. But his success will be maintaining that momentum win or lose. the 4th qtr KC was a lapse. They either gassed or gave up. Chip cant allow players to quit. If they do take them off the field.
  • There is no doubt Chip has made some questionable to terrible calls in his rookie season as a head coach, but frankly it's hard to win when the quarterback is making horribly bad interceptions, the best receiver gets shut down, awful offensive line play, drive stalling penalties, and some inexplicably bad fumbles. All of this happened under Reid so it seems to be more about the players and their lack of execution. With that being the case the Chiefs have a legit defense with several pro bowl caliber players. I'm not going to take anything Way from them, but frankly some of those turnovers were just too easy.
  • Lilfella! This has nothing to do with Andy Reid. This is about Doritos and only Fritos. You loved Vick after week one when they beat up on the Deadskins. Now he is horrible after only three weeks. Listen Lilfella!!!!! You can't condemn someone after three games dude. Wow! This is the NFL. IT'S WAY TO EARLY TO CONDEMN.
  • ESPN Insiders, NFL Live, NFL AM, including other afiliates are all the same. They're sounding off just like the Eagles Redskins and Giants fans. Now that it's possible that the Boys are relevant again they are overlooked because their division is weak. That didn't stop the

Update: September 28, 2013
    ESPN Insiders, NFL Live, NFL AM, including other afiliates are all the same. They're sounding off just like the Eagles Redskins and Giants fans. Now that it's possible that the Boys are relevant again they are overlooked because their division is weak. That didn't stop anyone from kissing the Pats arse reaping the benefits of the lowly AFC east in past years. It's amazing what good coaching can do. The so-called experts said the change from the 3-4 alignment to the 4-3 would be difficult they didn't have the right personnel to make it successful. How's that working out? And doing so without two starters Spencer and Ratliff and Tyrone Crawford who was poised to have a Breakout year. 2012 no.6 overall pick Moe Claiborne at present is the third best cover corner in the secondary.

Update: September 28, 2013
    ESPN Insiders, NFL Live, NFL AM, including other afiliates are all the same. They're sounding off just like the Eagles Redskins and Giants fans. Now that it's possible that the Boys are relevant again they are overlooked because their division is weak. That didn't stop anyone from kissing the Pats arse reaping the benefits of the lowly AFC east in past years. It's amazing what good coaching can do. The so-called experts said the change from the 3-4 alignment to the 4-3 would be difficult they didn't have the right personnel to make it successful. How's that working out? And doing so without two starters Spencer and Ratliff and Tyrone Crawford who was poised to have a Breakout year. 2012 no.6 overall pick Moe Claiborne at present is the third best cover corner in the secondary.
  • Mr. Tash you have a very wood vibe about you.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

MLB players who still might be traded in August

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Pacquiao likely to retire in 2016

Can Vince McMahon save TNA and WWE?

WATCH: TV station airs unfortunate Ray Rice blooper

Johnson suspended for cocaine use

College football's best coordinator duos

Best fantasy options at every position

Bosh: I was close to leaving Miami

Goodell defends Ray Rice punishment

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Tigers acquire David Price in blockbuster

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.