June 17, 2013

Hollywood Is Right To Say The Eagles Are A Veteran Football Team....

But if he or anyone else thinks that makes them an easy turn around they couldn't be more wrong. Let's start with the basics.

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."

Vince Lombardi

The man who's name is on the most sought after prize in the NFL states that football is only "blocking and tackling." Now let's take a look at our beloved Philadelphia Eagles and what we find is a team that was one of the worst in football in "blocking" and one of the worst in football in "tackling." It's CLEAR to see  how bad they were at blocking when you look at how many sacks were given up by this offensive line, and how much Shady's yards per carry dropped last season. Then you can see how terrible the Eagles were last season at tackling as they the second WORST team in missed tackles last season. So fundamentally the Eagles were one of the worst at the simple fundamentals of blocking and tackling. It's no wonder why they won only 4 games last season. Like Birdflipper wrote in his article about HIS TEAM; the Eagles are "STARTING AT THE BOTTOM." They are not a team who were on the rise. On the contrary they were in a decline.

2010 10-6

2011 8-8

2012 4-12

This CLEARLY NOT A TEAM ON THE RISE, but people are acting as if Chip Kelly needs to be treating them as such. People are acting as if players who have led the Eagles to a 4-12 record last season should be just given the chance to DO IT OVER AGAIN with no questions asked and no fight against it. Somehow Chip Kelly is failing, because he is working to build his team up from the failure that they have become. Much has been made of Mike Vick's recent comments about starting. FAR TOO LITTLE HAVE BEEN MADE ABOUT MIKE VICK'S RECENT COMMENTS ABOUT FUNDAMENTALS.

["The other day, I broke out in the pocket, and the first thing Chip told me was to tuck the football," Vick said. "So I showed him how I was running with it, and he looked at it and he knocked the ball right out of my hands. And he was like, ‘Hold it like this.' And what he told me felt comfortable. I had a tighter grip on the football. That should secure that problem as long as I WORK on it. Like I said, you're always a work in progress, and even when you think you know it all, sometimes you don't. The people who feel like they know everything, they don't."]

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/19/4345588/michael-vick-chip-kelly-football-grip

It's a shame Mike didn't take the last portion of his words to heart. "The people who feel like they know everything, they don't." If he did then he never would have come out to the MEDIA (and not his coach) about his frustrations about the starting quarterback situation. Sometimes coaches know more than the players, and players don't always realize what's best for them. After 20,274 passing yards and 5,551 rushing yards, Mike didn't know the simplicity of holding onto a football. The frightening reality is that on this football team he's not the only one... just the worst one. This team is building from the bottom despite the fact they are filled with veterans. We all would do best to remember that.  

14 Comments:
  • I think the fact that they are a veteran team makes it possible that they could go into a steeper decline. I think our players just stopped playing. They gave no effort. It was obvious they couldnt or wouldnt compete. I have to believe that our core players can still play at a high level if the management signals a change. Just removing one coach for another isnt the only sign that the eagles as a team are changing course. They need to show in a visible way either financially or constructively that this system is getting a big facelift or overhaul. Im not impressed with managements signals to the fans or players. They can no longer hold onto the Reid style. Reid was management and look what it got Philly. a bunch of pissed off players that literally rebelled against the "system". Call it rage against the machine. and they set on their hands and said phuck you phat phuck. Lets see what you can do without us. It didnt go so well. Now Chip is scared to throw down on the players and fans side for a change . And guess what so far we have a Reid look alike. He is no John Harbaugh in Balto. Hes a Jeff Lurie yes man clone . Of course thats up until now. He is following the same line Reid did. Make your QB your enemy and then ask him to save you. Vick isnt Mcnabb and being 20 million short on talent wont help so my suggestion to Chip is hand the keys over to Vick as soon as possible and pray he bails you out of this mess you find yourself in. Because EZ if they go 0-8 you will not be sitting in that stadium saying I think they are in the direction. That GTD and EZ is a phuckin lie.
  • I don't see anything like what Andy Reid did. The Eagles have organizationally changed their infrastructure in the FO, and are improving the facilities to become fan friendly. To say Chip is no Harbaugh isn't a necessary statement. HE HASN'T COACHED A GAME YET! It's going to take some time to turn this around since like you stated the Eagles HAVE PLAYERS WHO QUIT on the roster. You can't get rid of all of them in one off-season. After less than half of a year being the coach of the Eagles and doing things completely different from Reid in that same time span it makes zero sense to call them the same. How do you expect Kelly to coax the ego of a player you just admitted quit? Kelly would be a fool to just trust such a player with his career without testing him. After all look at all the coaches who trusted Vick and what became of them.
  • You know what EZ its just like any other work environment. Sometimes you have star performers that feel like they have been slighted and they react. Its no different than any company in America. Ive told you until youve lived it like I have you cant understand how culture in a work environments can change from managements decisions. You have arrogant, lying, backstabbing management and you will have an unhappy workforce. Thats a guarantee.
  • I also know that if you have a workforce who is given a free ride, with little to no punitive discipline they will take advantage of the situation. Look at how baseball players and some NBA players act thanks to the guaranteed money the receive. You have to make players earn it in the league today.
  • They have shown in the [past they can earn it. The owner f-ed up. He got cocky and thought their wre no ramnifications in ramming Reid down everyones throat for 8 xtra years. But guesss what the fanbase got sick of him , the front office manipulation and arrogance. Now no one is happy . The fans and players included. What do you think fans are the lollipop kids from the wizard of OZ
  • All the players who earned it in the past are no longer on this roster. Only a handful of players on this roster today have actually won playoff games as an Eagle. In case you didn't know Vick isn't one of them. In fact they haven't won a playoff game since he's been here.
  • But at least he led them to respectability. I wouldnt call Foles run respectable. It would better be described as laughable. We arent talking about playoffs now . Its about being an 2-14 team or an 8-8 team. You mean to tell me your ok going 2-14 to get a good look at Foles? If so you need your brain examined for a mental defect.
  • No Vick hasn't! They are the laughing stock of the league! Mr. Dynasty can't even beat out a third round pick without pulling a dirty card and playing up to the media. Vick's record is two games over .500 as an Eagle. How in the world is the respectability Hollywood? I have to say for someone who complains and moans about the Eagles as much as you do about not winning championships, you sure are going out of your way to defend mediocre players, and quite frankly I'm disappointed in you. Of all people around here I thought you wanted them to build a winner.
  • I have no problem with bringing in a new QB but lets not continue the freefall. If we go 2-14 with Foles we will begin to wonder if 0-16 is possible. The direction of the team no matter who the QB is must reverse itself. They can still have a smooth transition at QB when the time comes but I dont think its a good idea to sink to new lows. I just dont see how you can figure that would be a ok in any situation. Thats a loser mentality. PERIOD
  • Look at the numbers Wood. Mike Vick is the equivalent of sinking.
  • What I cant wait to see,
    will a bunch of veterans , listen to a rookie coach?
  • It's a good question to ask. The truth is they didn't listen to a veteran coach so Chip certainly has his work cut out for him. I believe Kelly should make an example of one of these players. Somebody with a name but expendable. Let them see he's not to be messed with.
  • How are you feeling about the sanctions Kelly left your boys up in Oregon?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.