June 16, 2012

HOW THE EAST WAS WON

EAGLES: Didn’t lose a SINGLE valuable player this offseason, had a good draft, and even addressed a weakness via trade. They didn’t address the Safety position, but they’ve decided to bank on Nate Allen changing the dynamic of that core. Worst case scenario, they’ll know exactly where teams want to attack and can scheme to try and offset it.

Giants: We split with them last year. They gave away two key veterans in Manningham and Jacobs, whom they relied on to over the years to get them through injuries and tough situations. Add to that the god awful defense that they really did nothing to address.

Cowboys: A ton of firepower, as always. Coaches with great resumes, as always. No mentally tough players on the roster. As always.

Redskins: RG3. They got him some respectable weapons. But he’s still a rookie in a division stacked top to bottom with All-Pro passrushers, coached by some of the best defensive minds in the sport. This by the way, on a team with no run game, and a line that surrendered 41 sacks. It’s probably a good thing that RG3 can run. It’ll prolong his lifespan. The NFC East right now is not the place to be a rookie Quarterback.

It's ours to lose.

30 Comments:
  • None of this reall explains how the Eagles will win the East. Honestly I think you are putting way too much in what the Eagles done while basically disrespecting everyone else in the division. Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham would be like the Eagles losing Jason Avant and Correll Buckhalter. The Giants lost a guy who caught over 100 ball and they still won the super bowl. The Giants losing those players does little to make me think they will suddenly fall off. Moreover the Eagles have done nothing to address their turnover situation of last season. The Eagles lack of fundamental football hasn't gone away unless you are expecting rookies to come in and somehow teach veterans how to do simple thinks like tackling and holding on to the football. Maybe they will, but that's not to say every other team in the division's rookies can't accomplish the same thing.
  • I applaud your optimism, but I can't see how anyone can be all that high on the Eagles. Most of the replacement players the Eagles brought in come with question marks. Think about it. Ryans played subpar last season. They are blaming it on a combo of the injury and the scheme.... Well Ryans never played in the wide 9 scheme so what happens if that doesn't work? Kendricks the kid is undersized and starting at the SAM. Again the Eagles are hoping these pans out as the kid played on the inside in college. We are all hoping that Nnamdi can rebound from last season and DRC will be more comfortable on the outside. Vick and the Red Zone turnovers must stop. In fact Vick's overall decision making must improve. If last season wasn't a fluke then DJack's regression will mean a regression for this offense as a whole. We all should be wonder if Demtress Bell can not only stay healthy, but can he at least be 60-70% of the player Peters was. One injury takes the Eagles from one of the best running teams in football to a team with no running game at all let alone what happens when Vick takes is in-season injury time off. Finally they still have an offensive coordinator trying to coach defense with two major question marks at safety. When I think of the Eagles I see a team with a lot of potential, but nothing about them makes me think next season will be a cinch.
  • I recall a movie filmed in parts of Oregon
    how the west was won....
  • If we aren't bitten too hard by the injury bug, the Eagles winning the NFC EAST is a mortal lock.
  • Dude you must be sipping some of the Dave Spadaro Kool-aid. Considering Mike Vick has had only one full season of football his entire career, the chances of the injury bug coming to Philly are pretty high.
  • I don't think it will be as easy as you think, flip. The Giants replaced their two biggest losses (and just like Eazy hinted at, they were backups) with highly rated rookies. There first round pick last year was out of the lineup early with an injury and their second rounder was lost for the season. They had other injuries also and when they got healthy they got rolling. You never know what you are getting with the Cowboys and there is no doubt that they strengthened what was their weakest spot (CB). They have a ton of talent on offense...just like the Eagles do. Washington looks like they got better just by drafting Griffin III and besides their rivals getting better the Eagles still have numerous questions of their own. I am looking forward to the new year with lots of excitement as we all should be but only time will tell.
  • I think it's a little unrealistic to think this season will be a cakewalk for the Eagles. Last season they didn't start playing well until they played a group of bad teams and they themselves had nothing to play for. They were a terrible team as a whole when they had to deal with pressure. They could easily win 13 games next season as they could also end up winning 6. How Vick handles the pressure will be key. He hasn't proven that he can so far in his career.
  • Michael Vick has played worse, on worse coached teams, with less talent and still taken those teams to the playoffs. Even went deep one year until we stopped them to go to the SB.

Seems to me a more mature QB, with better coaching, and a more talented and deeper team, should be able to inspire some optimism from their fans.

It seems every post on the FORUM is about how let down everyone is prepared to be. Silly me for rooting for my home team.
  • You got me all wrong, flip. Nothing wrong with optimism at all! "The Eagles winning the division is a mortal lock barring injuries"...winning in football is never a mortal lock barring anything.
  • You gotta admit when you look at the Forum posts, it looks like nobody expects them to do much. But you KNOW if they don't everyone will talk like they've personally been let down.
  • I think most of us besides one individual have high hopes but might be hesitant to commit. I have typed all along it will be up to Vick. I also typed that with all the turnovers and early defensive struggles last year, if Vick would have cut the turnovers in half and stayed healthy, the division would have been theirs. I truly believe the Eagles have a great shot at winning the division but Vick needs to bump up his play a bit and learn to stay healthy. You typed about a more mature Vick. Let's see if he can learn to throw the ball away instead of forcing a play or if he learns to slide or step out of bounds to avoid a hit before we come to that conclusion.
  • I don't see how we can just assume everything will be okay with this team. They haven't earned that from us. It's not like 2004 when we knew that team would be great. Nothing about this team says greatness right now. Not as long as Vick plays like he did last season. Not as long as veterans keep having mental breakdowns. Not as long as simple fundamentals like tackling and holding onto the football aren't addressed. We need to see it.
  • I don't think anything is wrong rooting for your team. All of us are, but at the same time I think many of us want to see it before people start boasting. I remember when McNabb said the Eagles were the team to beat in the division even though they lost T.O. and I believe the Giants won the Super Bowl. Last season there was a lot of talk and little backing it up from this team. You have every right to have your opinion, but don't be surprised if people challenge you on it.
  • 18 Turnovers and 18 touchdowns. Until that is turned around there is no such thing as a lock for the Eagles.
  • A 100 Million dollar quarterback needs twice as many touchdowns and nearly half as many turnovers.
  • When I mention Vick's maturity at QB, I'm saying that Vick is LIGHTYEARS ahead of where he ever was in Atlanta in regards to reading defenses. His career high is like 21 TD's and he averages about 13 picks a year. I expect those numbers from him. If he does better GREAT.

I think the support Vick gets from the run and the Defense's LIKELY improvement over the way they played during the first half of last year, is what will get us the 3 or 4 more wins over last year. As bad as we were supposed to be last year we only lost ONE division game.

ONE.

I think that says quite a bit about the OVERALL team. New DC; contract turmoil; media and SOME fans calling for the coaches head; no camp and a boatload of new players. RESULT: One game away from winning the division and the HORROR of being .500.

We're better off than some people care to acknowledge.
  • I'll acknowledge it. I don't expect an 8-8 season nor do I expect that from the Cowboys and the Giants. I expect all 3 teams to have better years than last season. I knew that you probably meant Philly Vick over Atlanta Vick when talking about his maturity and I absolutly agree but if you think Vick's style of play last year will keep him healthy enough or win them enough games then I disagree. Vick has already snapped at the press and told the media that he will be himself and the old Vick only made it through one season healthy...if he doesn't see the light and sometimes ease up and play for tomorrow the Eagles are done and a mature Vick would realize that. Hollywood likes to remind us that without Vick the Eagles won't win and he is right. What team who loses their outright #1 quarterback wins in this league? It doesn't happen too often.
  • All valid points Green. Personally the Vick snapping reminds me more of the Atlanta Vick. The guy who was short tempered and did what he wanted to do. Let's be real. Save about 7 games Atlanta Vick has been the same as Philly Vick. If mike Vick is on the best team he's ever played for, in the best offense he's ever been in, and if he's throwing only 21 touchdowns THAT IS A PROBLEM! It means that Vick is either leaving plays on the field or he's spent time injured. In either case it's bad for the Eagles. Worse is if Vick doesn't improve the Red Zone play the Eagles are toast. It's good to hear Vick's studying his "bad plays" from last season, but what would please me more would be to hear Vick is studying his playbook. Why is it a guy who has been in the league as long as he has is now suddenly getting the fact he has to prepare his body for an NFL season? I agree with Skip Bayless on that one.
  • I can type the same to you, Eazy...all valid points!
  • I will add this (and I know it will ruffle some feathers).... If Kevin Kolb was the quarterback for the Eagles last season and had a season like Vick had, people would be saying the guy isn't a high school quarterback.
  • No question, Eazy.
  • I STAND BY MY STATEMENT AND MY TEAM:

If we aren't bitten too hard by the injury bug, the Eagles winning the NFC EAST is a mortal lock.
  • Hope you're right, flip!
  • Considering Mike Vick has been injured every season of his career, but one the injury bug is all but assured to hit Philly. None of the Eagles current backups give me a lot of comfort to say this team is a "mortal lock" to win the division. Ironically the Giants who you downplay even though they are the champs played most of the beginning of the season without their full roster blew out our beloved Eagles last season who had a full roster.
  • They didn't lose a Single player this offseason,had a good draft,and even address a wickness via trade{Brandon Lloyd}. They didn't address the satety position, but they've decided to bank on[James Ihedigbo]changing the dynamic of that core. Worst case scenario, they'll know exactly where teams want to attack and can scheme to try and offset it. The Patriots winning the AFC EAST is a mortal lock. What are your thoughts of the NFC EAST, Flip Bayless?
  • I CAN'T SEE A MORTAL LOCK OVER THE HORIZON

• How 'bout them Cowboys!?

Romo is playing AWESOME tonight! Did you see those awesome TD's he threw to Chicago!? (So far.)

MORTAL LOCK.
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

show comment

show comment

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The most overrated NFL players

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.