July 08, 2013

HOW WOULD YOU FIX THE DEFENSE?

MANY of us have questions or concerns about the Defense, but what about ideas? I don't like this 3-4 set that we're currently developing. It WILL leave us exposed on the edges versus the pass. 

It occurred to me that in life OUTSIDE of YB, I'm a guy who doesn't issue a complaint without an adjoining solution or suggestion. Yet here, I feel like I've reduced it to a bi*ching-fest.

If you aren't that guy, then don't BE that guy.

If you fall into that rut, get back up and do better.

This is me doing what I think is better.

MY idea is actually the Eagles idea. Remember when they were talking about using the 4-3 Under to transition to the 3-4? I LOVED the first half of that idea! They have a 4-3 Under staff already in place, save for a Secondary. 

What I think would fix the Defense would be more 4-3. Safety is going to be a train wreck. The sooner we all come to grips with that the better. But there's a difference between having TWO exploitable weaknesses. There's no reason to be weak in the flat AND back deep. That's why I go with the group of Mychal Kendricks/ Connor Barwin/Jamar Chaney playing OLB. Now you have a legit group that can play the front AND cover.

With that Brandon Graham and Trent Cole can get down to doing what they're good at: Playing DE. 

Well! That's my idea. 

What's yours?

6 Comments:
  • I belive it would be wise for the Eagles to continue to transition to a 3-4 set defense. Let's be clear the 4-3 set was continuously exposed once JJ passed away. The linebackers were terrible at covering receivers, backs, and tight ends for what seems like over a decade now so it really doesn't matter who is on the edge, because I believe most of the coverage responsibilities will be given to Kendricks and Ryans. I also believe they will use Cole in the fashion that the Cowboys currently use Demarcus Ware as a monster type who will basically line up anywhere in the front seven to try and exploit blocking weaknesses. In all honesty I think they need to move away from Cole and more towards Graham at this point in their careers. Cole had a terrible season in the 4-3 set last season and appears to be declining as a player. Regardless of where you put Cole, father time wont make him younger or better. I believe the 3-4 set will help them to ultimately expose mismatches in the opponents offensive line and via the key future free agent additions along with the draft the defense will turn things around. They most likely are going to struggle next season. There's no way around it, but when you consider how awful they were last season I fail to see how it can get much worse. Take for example the safeties. Well we had the worst safeties in football last season, and both have been replaced. Still both are at least to this point still on the roster so at worst the safeties are no worse than the terrible play we got last season. Some of the problems in this defense will not be resolved until the Eagles address them next off season. Still we wont truly know how good or bad they are going to be until they line up and start hitting.
  • Well I think we will use the 4-3 this year against the skins and other read option teams cause as u can see in the Super Bowl that's the better way to stop it.

To fix the 3-4 I do this:
    Cox soap Logan ( big mean dline)
    Barwin Chaney Ryan's Kendrick's ( I think Kendrick's could become the best OLB in a 3-4 in the nfl he can blitz he can cover the tackle qb and TE won't know what to do)
    Williams fletcher boykins/poyer ( hope they can just stay around the wr )
    Phillips then Allen when he gets hurt ( its all we got)
    Wolff/poyer ( I hate Chung)

4-3 I go
    Cole cox Logan/Dixon/soap graham
    Chaney/barwin Ryans Kendricks
    DBs stay the same
  • You know who I'd like to see get a loooong look in the 4-3? Clifton Geathers.

The guy has been a bum everywhere he's gone, but he's mostly been a DE. I'd put him at DT next to Cox in 4-3 fronts, in passing situations to make it hard for QB's to see and force them to move their feet in the pocket. At 6'8" 340, if he can force QB's to pull the ball down to reset, then it buys the extra footstep for the pass rush to get there. He would never need to record a single sack himself, so long as he could cause them.

Use all the tools in your toolbox right?
  • Yup but idk if he even makes the team. That's why I didn't include him in anything. At worst he would be a rotation guy and an extra red zone goal line big body just to get in the way.
  • That's what I'm sayin!
  • He can atleast replace queen dumblap on fg blocks. His arms should reach at least 8feet. But still I have doubts that he makes the team.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Adrian Peterson out indefinitely

Tony Stewart case goes to grand jury

WATCH: Barkley bounces first pitch

Brandon Marshall calls out ESPN

Starks confirms hip-hop urban legend

Castillo 'likely' to debut Wednesday

Nike pulls Peterson merchandise

Stanton posts pic of horrific injury

WATCH: Kemp, Puig argue in dugout

Minnesota governor: Suspend Peterson

Tim Duncan to appear in ‘Punisher’ comic

10 takeaways from NFL Week 2

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.