October 06, 2011

I CAN FIX THE EAGLES DEFENSE.

LAST season the EAGLES racked up 39 sacks. That's almost 2.5 sacks per game. Put in perspective, the Steelers led the NFL with 48 last year, averaging 3.0 sacks per game.

We weren't bad last year in pass rush.

Some are afraid that if we deep six the Wide 9, all of a sudden QB's will have 20-30 seconds to find receivers or something. Calm down. Teams have recorded lots of sacks AND stopped the run for decades in this league. I'll bet if we tried it, we could do it too.

I'm far more concerned with the coverage. This remains a problem and we're playing zone to cover for weak Safety play. We have THREE Pro-Bowl CB's who excel in man, two of whom are being paid like drug czars, and we change what THEY do to cover what other players cannot. This is wrong.

It would aid the pass rush (in an honest alignment that would help the run defense), if QB's had to stop to read the coverage first, or was forced into mistakes by thinking they had to get rid of the ball sooner than they had to.

To sum up, and reiterate: We don't need the Wide 9 to get sacks. Play the line more honestly, threaten with tthe LB's, and mix up the coverages. It's Defense 101. With a DC still on Similac, Defense 101 is probably where the EAGLES should start.

15 Comments:
  • I agree. Not to many LB blitzes this year.
  • Definitely giving up too many rushing yards. Study the teams with defenses who are successfully stopping the run. It's got to get better!
  • I KNOW ONE GUY WHO LIKES THE WIDE 9.....HIS NAME IS JASON BABIN
  • LOL Yup.
  • 7 sacks allready too. I bet he's pissed off at the defense the most out of all the players
  • I don't think so. He seems most selfish. All he cares about is getting his sacks.
  • If you play the Wide 9 and you know you are weak at linebacker and safety you have to put 8 in the box on run downs. The problem has been the Eagles have been gouged with long runs on pass downs as well. The Eagles need to attack more. The most they have blitz so far in a game this season is like 8 times. That means the only players on this defense who are playing aggressively are the defensive line and it's showing. The Eagles need to start attacking the line of scrimmage, because this defense which was allegedly designed to hold a lead can't do it, because once it gets a lead it plays prevent.
  • I heard last night on 97.5 that the eagles this year are close to the bottom of the league in blitz attempts.... God I miss Jim Johnson. Did he get buried with his play book?
  • they should move babin to SLB. Jenkins DE.
  • Why do that? The only thing Babin does well is go after the QB. I will tell you something else too. Babin and Jenkins are part of the problem too. Both of them seem more concerned with getting sacks than they are about playing the run. That's why it seems Jenkins is getting trap blocked on every run down and Babin is too far up the field to help out against the run.
  • Bringing them in should solve most of this.
  • A new defensive coordinator would solve most of this.
  • Can anyone tell me if ANY team has run the Wide 9 successfully?
  • probably not. That set is good for 3rd downs and thats about it.

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.