March 06, 2014

I Have A Bad Case Of Byrd Flu.

I admit it. I want this guy on our roster. I believe the Eagles need this guy more than any free agent prior to this point. The Eagles have been starving for coverage safety help and this guys is the best one available. The other guys in the market are decent, but none of them can go and get the ball like this guy. He's also fairly talented at forcing fumbles. The money is available for the Eagles to make a move. Remembering the Nnamdi signing I never thought we needed him, because we still had Asante and we just traded for DRC. I was excited we got him, but I viewed him at the time as more of a luxury than a necessity. Byrd and his ability to get turnovers are a necessity for this defense. When interception happy quarterbacks like Eli Manning,Tony Romo (especially when it matters most), and RG3 are in the division a player like Byrd is a most to make them pay. Right now we only have one guy (Boykin) who is capable of making them pay, but he's mostly a Nickel Corner. Byrd would give the Eagles a guy who can do it on every down. Make this happen Roseman. We don't need a "Dream Team" signing push, but this guy would make everyone in this defense better.

8 Comments:
  • Well it's obviously catching, because I have it too.
  • Did you seem him talking to BDawk on ESPN? Byrd seems to think the Eagles are going in the right direction. All the more reason for him to join us and reunite with Chip.
  • 20Dawk (on my site) just mentioned Kendrick Lewis. 20 made him sound pretty good, but I don't know him. What does everyone else have to say about him?
  • I'm not one to pump up a player. I'm generally the guy who doesn't want to spend the money, but the time is now. We have waited long enough to get a safety. If they get Byrd I would have less of a problem (still have a problem with it though) bringing back Nate Allen. I'm with flip though. Go get Ward and Byrd. Cut Chung and save his 3 mil against the cap, restructure Celek, and Casey to get more money. Draft another safety late. This could turn our middle of the pack defense into a top 10 Super Bowl capable defense. We already have more than enough weapons on offense to compete. Make this happen ASAP.
  • I agree with you that time is of the essence bt Im not sure about the combination of players. Maybe its time to clean house of our safeties and bring in a Ward or Byrd and a guy like Mickell or Bethea and draft a young safety early.
  • I say sign Ward and Lewis. Draft Kenny Ladler (5 picks AND 5 forced fumbles LAST YEAR) and we still have wolff. Ladler had an absolute horrible 40 time. It looked ugly it was slow and I couldn't be happier. We all hear the saying he plays faster than he runs a forty. Well Ladler plays faster than he's forty. Even as he ran it Dion and Mayock were saying yea his forty sucks but this kid is going to make some team happy cause he's a baller.

My only concerns with Byrd are the injury that will never go away and if he gets money does he stop trying? He turned down the great contract from the bills but that doesn't mean anything. Something else was going on there and he wants out of buffalo. Maybe he just doesn't like the city or something, but he has red flags and I'm not ready to shovel over a boat load of money and risk the future for a guy that may not have his heart into winning.
  • Maybe it is about winning, 20dawk. It could be all about knowing he can still get his money with a team heading in the right direction instead of staying in Buffalo. I would love to see the Eagles sign either Ward or Byrd...just hard to figure out where they stand regarding those top tier free agents right now and I also get that they have to keep in mind they have a starting QB that isn't even scheduled to make 1 million this year...if Foles has another year close to last year they'll have to start thinking long term...smart teams keep an eye on the future when it comes to money. Hopefully the Eagles shock me and find a way to sign what they have needed for years...a stud safety.
  • I belive the Eagles should talk with his agent before just ignoring him, because his intangibles for this defense are just too good to pass up without investigating first. Byrd isn't like Nnamdi who came in here just shy if 30 looking to cash out. His still in his prime and is still a legit NFL playmaker in the secondary. If he were just looking to cash out he would have just taken the money from the Bills. In fact turning them down makes me believe he would rather take similar money in a better situation like here or Indy or Green Bay. Buffalo has been a perpetual losing franchise since the 90s. Maybe he just wants to be in a situation with a better shot at getting a ring?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Mo'Ne Davis makes cover of SI

Ditka's misguided Redskins remarks

Marbury to star in play about Marbury

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.