May 02, 2013

I MISS MIKE BARTRUM.

MIKE Bartrum. Who ever thought they'd live to see the day when someone said they missed having Mike Bartrum on the roster? 

I have no problem with the job that Eagles Jon Dorenbos or Raiders Jon Condo is doing at LS. Both are excellent. I just wish they played a second position. In fact I wish most LS's did.

In case you missed it when I brought it up before; last year I watched the football equivalent to being curb-stomped by a senior citizen, in a Raiders/Chargers game where Condo went out early with an injury. LB Travis Goethel gamely tried to fill in, and was (being kind here) a freakishly nightmare-like failure. Unless you watched that game, this next statement will sound weak: Losing our LS cost us that game. If you did see the game, (even if you hate the Raiders and love the Chargers) you have to concede that that is what happened. 

I am scared for life by that game. And apparently so are the Raiders, because we currently have THREE LS's on the roster. And not a blessed one of them plays another position. So even if we do carry a back-up he's dead weight eating up a roster spot. 

Bartrum was a TE in addition to being a LS. He did the long-snapping, and he ran down to make tackles like LS should. However he also caught passes, blocked for the run, and even did some kicking for us if I'm not mistaken. (Though I could be confusing him with Chad Lewis on that.) The point is his roster spot held VALUE. 

I'd love to see each of my teams carry a guy who can COMPETENTLY fill in, in case "of such an emergency", but could we please get a guy like Mike Bartrum again?

4 Comments:
  • To be honest I don't see Jon Dorenbos as a player who can't be replaced. In fact if he can't be productive at another position and other guys on the team learn to be effective long snappers I could see him getting cut. Lots of players will be in camp early. Some of them could get a chance to compete for the long snapper spot.
  • I'd leave him be unless someone utterly fantastic came along. A good LS is like a good Holder, you never miss him until his replacement shows you just how good the original was. For example; Though Koy Detmer was a "meh" QB, I think David Akers was a better K when Koy was the H.
  • I am in agreement especially when it comes to a holder, but if they find someone on the roster competent enough to long snap then I think they move on. I mean I would rather they keep an extra TE rather than keep a long snapper.
  • That only makes sense.

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.