August 24, 2013

I SAW MATT FLYNN'S TALENT ON A MILK CARTON.

THE first half score 27-3 and Matt Flynn's stat line (3-6, 2 ints) are every bit as bad as they look. I was also irritated by RunDMC not playing (held out for precautionary reasons). And the penalties were back! Granted the bears had 8 to our 5, but 5 is till kind of high. Especially considering that 2 were on Center Stefen Wisniewski (1 false start, and I can't remember what the other was).

Speaking of the O-line, Flynn was a sitting duck last night, as the loss of Jared Veldheer was noticeable from space. I couldn't tell if the protections were different or if Alex Barron is really that bad. (I'm thinking he's really that bad.)

But you CANNOT discuss that game and omit what Terrelle Pryor did once handed the reigns. While I said last week that I'm falling in love with many of Flynn's intangibles (and I still am) and that he has a little more juice than your average game manager; Pryor's physical gifts and winner take all attitude cannot not be ignored. They can only be denied playing time.

As I said about last year's Week 17 game vs. the Chargers, Pryor had NEVER faced starters even in a preseason game; yet he started that game, was 3/3 in the redzone, and only lost that game by 3 points. Based on that I would have traded Carson Palmer, and given the starting job to Pryor. 

Fact is, the offense moves whenever he's out there. Sometimes he plays tight (like last week) and puts himself in bad situations, but when he cuts loose, he can take a game over. I've been a Raider fan since 1989 and I've NEVER seen a Raider QB grab a team, a crowd, and a game by the scruff and simply impose his will the way Pryor did last night. As some of you know I'm also a Philadelphia Eagles fan, and I've witnessed it by Donovan McNabb, but never by a Raider QB. (BTW: I'm VERY proud of myself for not making a joke out of Silverbacks screen name and Mexican heritage. I'm sure he's here legally, but If I ever find out that he isn't...)

This leave us with a dilemma. Based on pure talent, the starting job should be and (this year) should have always been Terrelle Pryor's. But having named Flynn, and having stuck with him this far (now just 1 week until Week One), I don't see how you switch now and not create a situation where Pryor is less focused on playing well, and more on not screwing up and being demoted. You almost have to stick with Flynn, until he has a bad couple of regular season showings at least. 

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

12 managers who are on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.