October 06, 2013

I Thought Our Receivers Couldn't Get Open?

Well that's what it looked like in the first half. Guys just seemed to be blanketed for like three weeks now. That was until Nick Foles stepped in the game and took what the defense gave him. He didn't force anything, and most importantly he threw to guys before they made their moves. Let's be real for a moment. In the current NFL there isn't a way defenses can simply shut offenses down. Defensive backs can't even touch guys after five yards. Someone is always open somewhere in the defense. On Jackson's touchdown catch, Foles tossed it up before Jackson made his move. It was a thing of beauty. Now Foles isn't going to wow anyone with his run speed like Vick, but for whatever reason the offense just seems to move better when he plays. He's not holding the ball too long, but instead he is getting rid of the ball and gets the ball to the open guy. Or gets the ball to the guy making the move. No one was wide open for him. He simply put the ball in tight spots and threw the ball deep. That's something people said he couldn't do. At this point I think it would be a mistake to rush back Vick especially since he's hobbling around on one leg. Kudos to Chip Kelly for quickly pulling Vick and going to Foles when he did.

4 Comments:
  • Here we go again . Put pressure on Foles for what. Let it play out like normal and he gets his opportunity. Pit him against our starter and you ruin team chemistry and everyone loses. When vick is healthy he returns to the lead job. end of story for now.
  • Wood I think you're failing to see the big picture. Mike is a quarterback who is lacking in confidence. I see it so clearly. He is holding onto the ball too long and he isn't trusting his instincts. He's afraid to turn the ball over so he's running more. He's having trouble dealing with the pressure from the media, the fans, the coaches, and the losses. The Midgets game was the perfect example of what has been happening to Mike. You see how frustrated our corners were in the game? A simple slant route was killing them and it was open every time. There's no such thing as guys being covered like it was in the past. The Giants defensively were covering Jackson with a practice squad player and Vick couldn't get him the ball the entire first quarter. In fact he couldn't complete a pass at all. The touchdown to Jackson by Foles would never have happened for Vick, because Mike doesn't make anticipation passes.
  • I wouldnt say that the touchdown pass would never happen for Mike. he makes big plays. One thing that did bother me with using the read /option is that they are not giving Vick enough runs. It seems like they set it up all game but rarely use it. I thought the game plan was vanilla but with a team developing chemistry its not a bad idea to keep things simple and do the little things right. Foles height helps him make plays just like Vicks legs help him. Whatever the case neither guy has enough talent around them to sustain if tere is an injury to Jackson or McCoy. they need some talent. Ike Resse thinks the offense lacks talent.
  • Mike right now is an abysmal 3-19 in the Red Zone. He's struggling in a major way when it comes to getting the short passes in right now. Fine he makes big plays, but the little plays are what matters most when it comes to the Red Zone and Mike isn't making those plays. At least he has his legs to fall back on, but as of now until Vick went down the Eagles settled for mostly field goals or turnovers in the Red Zone. Foles comes in and they are scoring touchdowns. That's not a coincidence.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.