December 08, 2012

I would be willing to put up with two more bad seasons if we get the chance to draft Johnny Football

Let's face it folks. The Eagles are heading for a complete and total rebuilding. During the off-season, this roster will be blown up along with the coaching staff. A spring cleaning is in order. That said, I still believe there are question marks at the most important position. At quarterback.

I don't think Nick Foles is not the answer. I KNOW he's not the answer. So far I see nothing more than a below average to mediocre QB at best. Franchise QBs don't just fall out of the sky. This is a fact. That said, I think we may have just seen a kid that will not just be a franchise cornerstone, but a man that will revolutionize the game. 

His name? Johnny Manziel. Most of you know him as the aptly-named "Johnny Football." I realize this year may have been a down year for college QBs and the Heisman trophy in general, but this doesn't cheapen what he has accomplished. No freshman had ever won the Heisman. EVER. That is until tonight. It's no small feat. It takes a very, VERY special player to do what he just did.

This is why I pose this question to my fellow Eagles fans. Would you be willing to put up with a couple more dismal seasons if the result was the chance to pick Johnny Football when he goes pro? I'd say it's absolutely worth it. Ask the Redskins fans. They'll probably say the same about RG III.

38 Comments:
  • Im with you on the Nick Foles part but is this guy superman? No I think the Eagles need to improve ASAP. But as it stands now, they dont look to concerned about being the worst team in the NFL. Lurie hasnt even flinched. But its still an organization that makes great decsions according to GTD
  • Manziel will not translate to a top caliber NFL QB, the kid excelled in college but it's not like he was the best in the Big 10 or the Big 12. True the SEC is a top notch NCAA Dvcision but this kid will get eaten alive in the NFL.
  • I think the SEC is THE top NCAA division. Plus he's just 19/20 years old. He's still got to put on some muscle if he wants to survive the grind that is playing QB in the NFL.

From what I've read on him, he's not just mobile, he's accurate and a very quick study. Both traits fitting for a franchise QB. Plus I've been amazed at how poised he is for a youngster.
  • we have had several franchise QBs. The problem is ownership commitment and management. But according to GTD Lurie is gold.
  • Not gold, hollywood. Just not nearly as bad as you would have us believe.
  • Sorry gr, meant replying but flagged you instead. No guarantees where this kid will be in another couple years. How many Heisman winners go on to be busts? Too many.
  • If the Eagles did land Mr.Football hopefully he's the next Timmy Tebow.
  • 6'1", 205 lbs right now. How much bigger can he get let alone without him losing some speed and quickness? Heisman winners don't always equate to winners and even starters at the NFL level although this kid obviously has special skills. Let's see where he is in a year or two...Matt Barkley went from being thought of as possibly the top pick in the 2013 draft at the end of last year to some now thinking he shouldn't be a 1st round pick at all.
  • You need to catch Foles fever
  • I'm immune. By the way, Kevin Kolb looked pretty good in his first two starts. Just sayin.
  • After two years on the bench.. with a non-repulsive offensive line and healthy receivers. Plus Kolb's arm strength was no where near Foles'. Either way, its wayyyy too soon to even be think about Johnny Football.
  • There was this other guy too in 1997. Bobby Hoying. Looked great in one game vs. the Bengals. Ended up being fool's gold.

Besides, it's not like Foles just carved up the 49ers defense. It was the Bucs. The 31st ranked passing defense in the league. I'm feeling like McKayla Maroney. NOT IMPRESSED.
  • Im with you. Sales job. He doesnt have the arm.
  • Sales job? Are we going door-to-door? Getting paid by commission? I need details Hollywood
  • Well I was 3 years old in '97 so ya got me there. But isn't it a bit unfair to judge him by those who failed before him? He's pretty much done everything you could ask for as a rookie.

side note: My dad owns a Bobby Hoying jersey

PS- I couldn't post this last night because apparently I'm a "motor mouth"
  • Actually, I disagree with that GG. The year he took over as the starter Kolb started struggling BIG. The best game he had in 2010 was the Falcon's game when he replaced then starter Michael Vick. Kolb never seemed to be able to handle the job as THE man, the title Foles seems to be embracing as he has gotten better ever since he was handed the job. Of course there is only Edwards looking over his shoulder right now but so far he has done the only thing the Eagles can hope from a 3rd round rookie, improved every week. Honestly, I'm keeping my feet on the ground when judging him. I realize that today he had a very nice game against a horrible pass defense. I would love the Eagles to bring in competition for him next year and if someone looks better than him then so be it but he is looking better every game and you have to love his size and some of the things he does on the field. Vick may not have gotten up after a couple of those hits he took today.
  • I don't want a good QB. I want a GREAT QB. Those are the only kinds that give you the optimal chance at a title. I'm not seeing greatness in Foles. I want someone that's gonna be on par with the Rodgers, Brees, and Mannings of the world.
  • So would I but they aren't easy to find. I'll be thrilled if the Eagles find one but there are no guarantees, GG. Manziel may not be one for all we know plus even if the Eagles struggle for the next couple years there is also no guarantee the Eagles end up drafting him. Instead of hoping he or another POSSIBLE franchise quarterback somehow falls into their laps I will hope what they have will be good enough to get them back to the playoffs and beyond.
  • That's no secret. I'm just looking at the odds though. The chances are a real longshot that Foles turns into a true championship caliber QB. I've done the research. It should come as no surprise that 20 out of the 29 QBs who have won Super Bowls have been drafted in the 1st/2nd rounds.

Yes there are guys drafted in the 6th round like Tom Brady. Also Kurt Warner was undrafted. Those are very rare exceptions though.

That said. This should interest a few. The lone 3rd rounder that won a title may actually be the greatest QB of all time. Anyone wanna guess who it was?
  • I'm pretty sure I remember reading or hearing that Montana was a 3rd rounder. I've seen some of the numbers myself when it comes to championship caliber quarterbacks, GG. I get that the chances are better with the higher picks, that is one of the reasons we still have faith in the analysts and scouts. Even if the Eagles go with Foles next year they could try to trade up to get a QB in a year or two if it doesn't work out. Like I stated earlier, I'm hoping they don't stand pat with their qb situation in the off-season (they will bring in at least one QB to replace Vick). It's honestly where the Eagles are right now...I'm just hoping that who they already have on their roster works out now instead of hoping the perfect scenario falls in place in a couple years. They drafted Foles in the 3rd round hoping he could be a starter some day and because of how things have unfolded with Vick that day is now. We'll see what happens.
  • I just love seeing trends broken. I guess the whole winning the Heisman as a freshman feat is why me and many others have been captivated by Manziel. That said, you're right, he could literally have a sophomore slump next year. You never know.

I also think there's another QB that has been overlooked due to the whole tattoo scandal. That would be Braxton Miller at Ohio State. It's a shame. If Ohio State didn't have that scandal, they might be the ones playing in the BCS title game.
  • Johnny Unitas or Joe Montana?
  • Two of the five members of Western Pennsylvania's QB quintet. Montana was the lone 3rd rounder to win a title. Unitas was a 4th rounder and is the first of only two from that round. The other was Joe Theismann.
  • I think Unitas was a 3rd rounder
  • exactly
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I want to see what Foles can do. My man Hollywood thinks he's going to be great so I want to give him a chance and see what he's got.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Foles had one of the best wonderlick scores in his entire draft class. He broke all of Drew Brees's high school records. They said he was given a series of plays and he memorized them almost instantly. Foles has a lot of work to do I think to be a great one, but he's a smart kid. Just do some research on him and you will see.
  • He seems intelligent and cool under pressure but I just dont think he has the arm velocity to make the more difficult throws. Sorry, but he doesnt have a cannon. Throwing far and throwing long are two entirely different things. I could throw a football 60 yards but I didnt have any velocity.
  • Actually wiki says Unitas was a 9th rounder by Pittsburg. I dont think that is right. He came to Balto in a trade w/ Pitts
  • I don't like to put all the cards on one player. There are so many superstars in college that won't make it in the NFL. I'm still not sold on Foles - he did a decent job yesterday. Avant made some amazing catches that could have been incompletions. There will probably be a lot of changes after this season, so it may take a couple years get a winning record.
  • Here's the thing. It may take some time for this team to start winning again regardless of who the quarterback is. I don't think anyone is truly sold on Foles yet, but while we are all waiting to figure that out he might as well play until he shows us we can count on him or a better option surfaces.
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

• Get rid of the only redeeming quality of this team? No way.
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

NBA free agency and trade tracker

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

WWE Battleground full results

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

Best NFL player at every number

Fashionable history of wrestling hippies

Most compelling storylines for MLB's second half

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

How trading for David Price changes the odds

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.