August 19, 2013

IF EAGLES SEE THE PLAYOFFS, IS IT A NIGHTMARE?

WHAT if we're all wrong?

What if this team doesn't go 6-10, or 7-9 as many have envisioned?

Suppose they somehow manage to make it into the playoffs. Even a one and done situation.

What then?

It occurs to me (and several others here) that if we go 7-9 or better, we're just about out of the running for a top rookie QB Draft prospect. If we see the playoffs, we're AUTOMATICALLY in the bottom 12, meaning we'd pick 21st or lower. 

If on the other hand we get in behind Michael Vick, Howie Roseman all but HAS TO re-sign Vick to another deal. And you can bet that Vick will want years and guaranteed money on that deal. (Understand that guaranteed money equals Starter.) 

The reason I say this is because of Chip Kelly. If he makes the postseason in his first year, then gives up the QB that got him there, he HAS TO do better than 2013 in either 2014 or 2015. He can't afford to succeed with the guy he made earn it, and then fail because he gave him up for the guy who lost the QB contest (Nick Foles), or less (meaning Matt Barkley or a lesser 2014 Draft prospect). 

If Vick is successful this season, Kelly is married to him. Unless of course Kelly can broom Vick, and do better immediately. However, anything less than more than 2013, makes Kelly and thus owner Jeff Lurie look foolish. That has a way of shortening a coaching career.

So in a sense the Eagles almost have to suck in 2013 for Kelly to be here in 2016. Weird huh?

16 Comments:
  • Not necessarily. It's August. Ncaa ball hasn't even started yet. Players get hurt in college and drop in the draft. Players have bad years and drop in the draft. Barkley was a top 3 pick one year and now was a 4th rounder. Teddy bridgewater seems to be everyone favorite for Kelly and most other nfl teams. If he brakes an arm leg pinky whatever later in the year he could drop. Then there what happens to nfl teams. Players get hurt, suck,and retire. We can also resign Vick trade our first and foles for a higher draft pick to a team who doesn't want one of the rookies. Point is its August and we have no idea how the draft will play out except if clowney isn't a top 5 pick five teams should be looking for new gms and scouts.
  • the problem is this: If Vick throws 3 interceptions and fumbles 2 times in just one game.. What will Kelly do?

I can't remember how many games I had to sit through watching that over and over again while Reid was here. I am just hoping and praying Kelly doesn't do the same thing.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Kelly has to stick with Vick for 3 starts at least, regardless of Hell or high water.

Vick over an entire off-season played his way into starting, so anything other than Vick clearly playing his way out of starting sends the exact wrong message to the other 52 players on the roster. You want them focused on their assignments, not their depth chart positions.

Yanking Vick and starting Foles after just one or two bad games means you have to be consistent in your treatment of all other positions. So what do you do when the Safeties have two bad games in a row? Or the Corners? Or the D-line? How about the O-line, for example Jason Peters? He's coming off of two Achilles surgeries in one year and hasn't played much in the preseason. His Week One and Week Two tests: Brian Orakpo and Dwight Freeney. Does two bad games get his back-up out there vs. Tamba Hali in Week Three? Of course it won't.

Kelly has to be consistent in how he treats his roster. Anything less de-legitimizes him as an NFL Head Coach. So he has to let Vick play his way out of the job once he grants it to him.

As antagonistic as it may be to fans, that is the clear common sense approach. That's not to say that the Eagles haven't bucked common sense before, and it's true I don't know Kelly; but I'm just talking about what makes the most sense here.
  • Spots, absolutely NOBODY at any level of this sport (above MAYBE Pop Warner) yanks a starting QB after 3 or 4 bad opening series in a game. QB like Center, is not a platoon position. Barring injury you finish with the guy you started with.

If that were the case, guys like John Elway, Brett Favre, Dave Kreig, Jake Plummer and Randal Cunningham wouldn't have been in the NFL long.
  • Assuming it is Vick we can assume peters wont see much of those guys since they want the best pass rusher to be on the qbs blind side and as we all know that's Johnson's side.
  • Good point. However one or two (maybe even 6) bad games from Lane Johnson won't see him sat down either.
  • Unfortunately in Philly fans think you can just switch QBs at the first sign of trouble. It doesnt work like that. Foles hasnt shown he can win. Vick is our starter. he needs the support of coaches, fans and players. We had the so called competition and from it the determination was Vick is the best QB on the roster. There is nothing left to do but play out the season with your best QB and move on to other problem areas. This idea that something could happen in 2016 is folly. This is precisely the mentality that creates losers.
  • Don't worry Flip, the eagles aren't going to the playoffs this year.
  • you wouldnt think so but the oline is healthy and thats where they have dumped alot of resources. They could make games interesting.
  • "Playoffs! Playoffs! Are you kidding me Playoffs y'all be lucky to win one game and you're talking Playoffs.
  • They CUT Brad Wing to KEEP Donnie Jones?!?!?! Mutherf----
  • The eagles organization is a joke,my predition,vick will have a good year,why go to a 3-4,when you have 4-3 personnel already,to win you ball games,easier fit for players,bill davis is a good coach,been with 5 teams,all losing records. The record for season 5-11 at best,first year college coach---ala jim harbaugh played gb in nfl--san fran he knows---same with pete carrol seattle---gus bradly,should have been coach for eagles!!!holla
  • Good point jerseys12. I say 6-10.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Storylines for each Week 1 NFL game

Welker suspended four games

Best, worst MLB players of August

Cowboys looking to add Michael Sam

Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K

NFL player's odd reason for face tattoo

Tebow drafted over Henne in fantasy

Texans, J.J. Watt agree on extension

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.