January 19, 2013

If Geno Smith Is On The Board.......

Do the Eagles take him? After all of the talk about how Foles doesn't fit the offense do the Eagles pull the trigger? At first glance Smith sort of fits the mold. He has good size for an NFL prospect, he is mobile and was in a high octane offense at West Virginia. Watching him in the game verses Syracuse I wasn't all that impressed with him though. His stats are a little inflated, and he works primarily out of Shotgun. Still after watching all of these rookie and young quarterbacks running some variant of Chip Kelly's offense and make the playoffs had me wondering if the Eagles could afford to pass at the chance of taking the kid. True the team has holes in many areas, but in the NFL you don't win if you don't have the quarterback. The Mike Vick journey has shown us this. When he's good so are the Eagles. When he's bad..... 4-12. I think the Eagles have to roll the dice to keep pace with the division. Get the quarterback if he's there.

24 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • At 4 I think Kelly may have to take a chance on him but we don't know who else is out there that Kelly may have some interest in. Maybe he sends his old QB Darron Thomas an invite into camp, maybe their is a young mobile QB he thinks he can work with he can get via trade or later in the draft or maybe he thinks his QB is already on the roster (although I don't see that). If he has a chance to get Geno Smith and passes do the Eagles struggle looking for their guy the next couple years. If he has a chance to get his type of QB this year than that is how he needs to start his first season off whether it's Geno Smith or whoever he thinks it may be.
  • If I were him I think I would rather go with a passing type QB than a runner. The running guys always seem to breakdown. From Cunningham to McNabb, to Vick the all were lost for extended periods of time due to injuries.not saying Foles is the future. I don't know, but I would take the passer over the runner.
  • name a running qb on any team that doesn't get injured more than a pocket passer qb? Seriously! The running QB crap has been tried in Philly more than every where else in the league. I am so fraking tired of it!!!!

QB s that get/got injured a lot are as follows: Vick, McNabb, rg3, Cunningham, colpepper , Steve young, (who else has been a running QB) not very many more right!!
  • I know what you mean but I've gotten spoiled with the mobile QBs a bit so I wouldn't mind if Kelly finds another one. It is scary knowing what happened to Griffin III in his first season but so many teams want that versatility anymore it's hard to think about the Eagles without that threat. If Foles turns out to be a good QB than so be it...I'm rooting for him. We just don't know what Kelly actually wants.
  • I hope Foles can become one of the best. Part is going to be on him and part on Kelly. If Kelly is as smart as they make him out to be then he should find a way to work it out.
  • EZ I wouldnt call McNabb a running QB. He was a pass first run when you have to QB. I watched film of Geno Im convinced he will be picked early. If the chiefs wont take him I think the Raiders would. If you dont like Vick and apparently you think he sucks, even though other coaches in the NFL are willing to pay for him, who do you sugeest if we cant get Geno. I gave you some names of Qbs earlier that I researched. The kid out of Clemson looks good. Ill look some more. I If we are looking for Qbs then Foles should be ruled out because we need a veteran presence. It wouldnt hurt to hold onto Vick and Foles and get rid of Edwards. Draft that QB and bring him along properly. When Foles goes 1-4 or 0-4 you will go crazy. Vick has ben to the NFC championship and playoffs. He should at least be able to give us a shot for that even with some diminished skills. I would even take an Alex Smith if Vick isnt your guy but show me a name that interests you.
  • I won't go crazy with an 0 and 4 Foles. An 0-4 Vick would piss me off. I'm going to take Kelly a his word. He says he doesn't need the mobile QB to run his system. Oakland won't draft Smith. Hey invested in Palmer and already have Prior waiting in the wings. If KC doesn't take him he could be there at 4.
  • Geno Smith will be gone before philly picks, your ex coach would be a fool not to take him first since the Chiefs QB situation is horrible. Besides, you guys need a better O Line because it sucked last year. It all starts up front by giving a QB time to throw and opening holes for the backs.
  • No Peters, no Kelce, no Herremans...what do you expect? A tackle may still be the way to go though because there is no guarantee Peters comes back from his injury and if he does the Eagles could move the draft pick to the RT spot freeing Herremans to move back inside.
  • It's funny, because every time you come on and tell us how something will never happen it usually does. LOL. Don't be surprised to see Smith fall on this board some. Maybe the Jaguars snatch him before the Eagles, but I don't think it's a lock Andy Reid drafts the kid.
  • We'll see, and if I'm wrong I'll admit it like a man, so so sorry if my opinion bothers you. I'm still entitled to it just like you are. The Chiefs QB situation is one of the worst in the league, it just makes sense that Reid goes after a QB. If he doesn't then he's a bigger fool than I thought he was before. AHH, and I see there's another comment from the peanut gallery by fartsmella. Now there's a joke for you.
  • I'm certainly not saying you can not have an opinion. I just find it funny how a matter of fact you can write how something will be, and the opposite usually happens. Don't get mad it happens to all of us. Just ask Mr. Mortal lock. Heck the season before I thought the Eagles could pull 13 victories. I was 5 short. LOL
  • easyeagle I got more news on chip kelly , thought id let you know....
  • I noticed. You can slow it down a little bro. I can't keep up.
  • If Geno is gone. I say we wait til the 2nd or 3rd round and draft Ej Manuel from florida state. He can also do it al
  • He seems to have what Kelly wants in size and athleticism in a quarterback (was checking out prospects a couple days ago). I just saw that Kelly and staff interviewed him, Tyler Wilson and Ryan Nassib today during the Senior Bowl practices. An interesting fact that I read about Manuel is that Kelly wanted him to go to Oregon but he didn't want to play that far away from his home in Virginia. Could be a fit...I think a website I checked out had him going in the 3rd-4th rounds. We'll see if he climbs after the combine and his pro day.
  • Ok then ill stop
  • I hear Joeckel may go 1st to the Chiefs. I think people are starting to doubt Geno Smith. I wonder how far Teo drops? I am not sure drafting another linebacker should be the best choice when there are so many other holes to be filled on defense like corner and safety. They could draft that Alabama corner.
  • I doubt we take a quarterback at #4 (or #1-20 overall if that were our draft position). I think the Eagles will take a quarterback, but it might not be until the mid/late rounds of the draft.

Depending on what Kelly does with the staff (if we switch to a 3-4) we might be focusing in on DT/NT Star Lotulelei. He's similar to Haloti Ngata, so definitely a good start to improving our defense. CB Dee Milliner will be the top corner in this years draft, so that should also be a consideration with DRC up for free agency and Nnamdi getting older. Then we have to consider if Cole/Graham are suited to be stand up players in a 3-4 alignment. I think they are athletic enough since both played LB in college, but if the Eagles think OLB Jarvis Jones can be the next "Von Miller" I think he could also be a possibility at #4. OT Joeckel is our #1 target regardless of what coaching staff is in place, so if he's there, that's our pick.

Someone will draft Geno Smith in the first round, but I think that he is more likely to be drafted by the Cardinals at #7 or the Jets at #9.
  • Everyone I hear seems to think Jones won't be that great, but all of you choices seem viable. It just feels good to be at the top of the draft with the great players. It's just a shame they don't have the can't miss QB prospect this season.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Colts GM calls out Richardson

VY would have returned for senior season at Texas

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.