December 19, 2012

I'M TORN.

ONCE the playoffs are no longer a possibility, it's almost a teams responsibility to tank the season and get a top 10 (top 5 if you can swing it) draft pick and a softer schedule the following season. 

It's tradition. 

At least it was tradition until the Age of the Goodell. Not only has he ruined my annual Draft Day traditions by moving it from a blissful and relaxed Saturday noon, to a "I gotta get to bed, 'cause I gotta work tomorrow" Thursday night; but now division games show up more at the end of the year. 

When your team has hit the 4-10 mark with 2 division opponents to go, do you 

A) Continue to tank, and give your rivals a feeling of power over you.

or

B) Pull out all the stops to send the message that they aren't safe. EVER.

What to do? What to do?

16 Comments:
  • The future is more important than beating either of these teams. The Eagles need talent to beat these teams when it matters. The better the draft pick. The better chance of getting some talent. Personally I would rather the Redskins make the playoffs than the Giants or the Cowboys. I hate the Redskins a lot less than the other two teams. Winning games now only helps Andy Reid's chances of getting another job, and worsens the Eagles chances of getting a top 5 pick. Reid's future is not bigger than the Eagles future.
  • Agree with EVERYTHING you type hear but the reasons I hate the Giants more is because they have those two recent championships (jealousy is an ugly thing) and the Cowboys because...well they are the Cowboys. The Redskins haven't won anything lately. My feelings could change if Griffin leads them to a championsip or two although he would be hard to hate. Seems like he is somewhat down to earth.

These games are meaningless (who cares about those 4 wins at the end of last year anymore?) but getting that 3rd or 4th pick in the draft could be the difference in the new coach drafting a play maker on defense or an anchor on the offensive line instead of a "good" player or even possibly getting an extra draft pick or two and still getting that good player.
  • Even if the Eagles decide not to pick on of these players and trade down, the still help themselves by acquiring more picks. Defeating the Redskins and Giants only increase the chances of the Cowboys getting. Not that I have much faith that any of the three will do much in the playoffs, but the reality is the Eagles need a lot of help to keep up in this division. I don't care about beating any of these teams when it doesn't matter. I care about beating them in the future. Losing now helps the future.
  • Top 5 draft picks aren't a lock to be something great, especially with the way we draft. I'd rather spoil two division rival's seasons and finish strong.

Plus, it's not like the Cowboys will win a playoff game if they get in.
  • With the overhaul coming up, I think a change in draft philosophy may be in order too. Hopefully.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I bet we trade our first round pick if we're in the top 5 no matter who the coach is. Roseman would love to show off his wheelin and deelin skills.....
  • Lot of words here, but not a single answer to the question of tank or compete.
  • I said beat our division rivals!
  • Sorry. I missed that the first time.
  • Tank away.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE
  • Tank. They aren't good enough to compete. I think it's pretty clear they need more players.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Rams release Michael Sam

Stephen Hill's agent blames Sanchez, Tebow for release

Report: Beckham injured avoiding paparazzi

Ohio State TE wearing Braxton Miller's number

Bills sign Kyle Orton

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186 MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.