December 09, 2013

In Hindsight The Eagles Got It Right With Kelly.

I know many of us had questions about the hiring of Chip Kelly. I was happy they targeted their man and got him, but I still had a lot of questions about how his style would play out this season. Still I felt the the best option would be to wait and see. So far Kelly has had both ups and downs this season as he's still trying to figure out how to coach in the NFL. So many early changes are paying dividends now though. Kelly told everyone he didn't need a running QB to run his offense and people still scoff at the idea despite how well Nick Foles is playing right now. Chip knows his offense and he clearly wasn't lying. The changed to the 3-4 with the Eagles dropping names like DRC, Nnamdi, Jenkins, and their defense has gotten better! Trent Cole for the first time in his career seems to be getting stronger and not fading away like he did in past seasons. Chip's coaching staff reminds me of Andy's original staff of coaches. They were teachers, they were ambitious, and hungry to win. Chip's first draft has already paid dividends this year. Many of them are essential cogs on a team making a playoff push. The mentality and atmosphere of this team has completely changed from the last two seasons. Gone are the guys who blamed the fans for all of the problems (well most of them anyway) or guys who would rather eat lunch in their care. That mentality has been replaced by guys who can't wait to get to work and learn more. The Linc was rocking again in December. The "fire Andy" chants have been replaced with cheers, and "Shady" chants. If Shady keeps this up those Shady chants will be replaced with "MVP" chants. The players are sacrificing themselves to get blocks, breakup interceptions, and fighting for yards. Kelly's endurance training of the team has them able to just keep plugging away. A close up on McCoy on the sideline in the game and he looked like he didn't just break a team record. In fact he looked as if he could go for 30 more carries. It's true winning cures all problems (rather it hides them) and we could say there are some things that must be fixed with this team, but I for one am happy with Chip Kelly and I believe the Eagles got this one right.

4 Comments:
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

New Redskins stadium in the works

Ranking the top 10 NFL running backs

Josh Shaw admits faking rescue story

Writers talk KD's big sponsor choice

Boxer in custody after shooting cousin

Gordon a contender for AL MVP?

Second-year NFL breakout players

Boris Becker's gross case of tennis elbow

ESPN 'regrets' Sam showering report

'Madden 15' has hilarious glitches

Gordon's suspension upheld by NFL

Ned Yost rips Royals fans for poor attendance at games

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.