March 06, 2014

Is it all about the safeties?

Ok we all want Byrd... or Ward... or Both. Fact of the matter is the Eagles are probably on the same page as we are when it comes to those two. 

But what about the rest of the free agents out there? Here are some OTHER guys I think we need to take a look at

1. Lamarr Houston DE: He's a big boy who can ball. With 6 sacks and 2 forced fumbles last year he would be an awesome addition across from Cox. This is not a NEED but it's an upgrade. Wait what about Thornton? Thornton is good but Houston is better. Plus can never have too many D linemen right? Chances are though with 65 plus million in cap space he doesn't escape Oakland.

2. Vontae Davis CB: W all know the secondary needs phase two of it's face lift after (hopefully) addressing the Safety situation we can upgrade at least on CB making either Fletcher or Williams and their overpaid salary expendable. Davis is entering his prime and would make a huge impact.

3. If not Davis I'd take a good hard look at Sam Shields

4. Linval Joseph DT: As far as size goes he's got 2 inches and almost 15lbs on Bennie Logan. I like his play, I like his youth, and I love the idea of poaching from a division rival. Plus love having a lot of talented D linemen.

5. Donald Butler or/and Brandon Spikes: Two young, talented interior linebackers. I know we need more help on the outside but grabbing one or both of these guys would make Ryan's and his high salary expendable and Mychal Kendricks could be slid outside to replace Cole. It's an idea, and I'll admit it, a little far fetched but it could work.

6. Lastly Jon Asamoah G: I know he lost his starting job last year in KC, and I'm not sure exactly why. However, I really don't trust Andy Reid all that much with player evaluation so I'm letting it slide. Fact is he's 25, has been solid, and could be an upgrade or eventual replacement to Herremans. Who is now the weak link along the O-line. 

5 Comments:
  • Your idea of moving Kendricks back outside isn't far fetched at all. I think he's a little small for going against OT's all day long, but if you get a big body at RILB, you change the interior protection which changes the how you play the edge on passing downs. (We'd be at a disadvantage vs. the run, though. On the O-line we used to call 3-4's an "Easy Day".)
  • I don't think the Eagles go after Houston, because I believe they are content with the bargain basement production they are getting from Thorton. The problem with Davis is timing. Now they could cut Fletcher and use a portion of his money to sign Davis and that would be fine, but I would rather see them invest in safety. Fletcher to me isn't as bad as Williams, but I don't see them moving him until his 6 million bump next season. Linval Joseph is a 4-3 DT so I'm a little concerned with him transitioning to the 3-4. I would rather they get a guy who is better suited to play that position. I wouldn't mind seeing a rotation at the position of someone like Cody who could be had for cheap, but has something to prove and Logan. If you sign Butler or Spikes then it's more likely Ryans has to go than moving Kedricks outside. Between signing one of those guys and keeping Ryans the Eagles would be committing some big money to inside linebackers. I don't know much about Asamoah, but if they could bring him in on a favorable deal as a backup then maybe. I cant see Herremans lasting much longer than another season.
  • Butler is going back to San Diego on a ridiculous contract. I doubt we go after Houston. He's the same size as Thornton and we have the leverage over him for not paying him until 2016. Spikes can't cover. We can't have two Ryans out there. Joseph is a 4-3 guy even though he played 3-4 in college. He's huge but he just isn't that productive. We need a new corner brought in one way or another. One that will push for playing time. Asamoah is a decent signing. But Reid is pretty good at picking fat guys so I would do my homework before committing to him.
  • Is he all that good a picking fat guys? If that was the case our line shouldn't have been so bad his last couple years in Philly. His picks that have panned out recently only amount to Kelce (which may have just been dumb luck). I mean if he was that good at evaluating talent why did we take Watkins? Peters was originally picked up by Buffalo and then we traded for him. Mathis was already in the league for awhile before finding a home in Philly, but then again he also brought in Bell. You could say Herremans but I thin he's left over from when Andy might have actually had an eye for lineman talent. Beyond that all he really has brought in at the end of his Philly days was back ups at best. To me it looks a lot more miss then hit in his later years.
  • Demarcus Ware to the Eagles?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.