February 04, 2014

Is It Time To Trade Jackson?

Coming off his best season, and another Pro Bowl bid, Jackson seemed a little determined to stir a little trouble after he decided to bring up his contract so soon after signing his current one. This year the draft is loaded with receiving talent, and there are viable free agent options that could be considered over Jackson. Jackson could possibly garner a 1st or high 2nd round pick that could be used to help improve this defense or to sign a bigger and potentially better replacement to Jackson. Jackson is still young enough to have interest throughout the league, and in the minds of some could be considered as good as Wes Welker in the right system. Staying healthy all season should have answered some of the questions about Jackson's durability. In the grand scheme of things, Jackson and Foles have been good, but not great together. Jackson averaged about 4 catches a game with Foles, and even though he scored more touchdowns with Foles (7) than any QB since McNabb, one has to wonder if the Eagles had a bigger target than him on the outside could those numbers improve. I can't say fore sure Jackson will be traded, but I believe the Eagles who's new motto is "big people beat up little people" will explore all options to improve this team.

10 Comments:
  • I dont see how letting Jackson goes help but coming from Philly fans it wouldnt suprise me.
  • Yea let's trade desean not sign cooper or maclin and go with avant Johnson and maehl. Hoping a rookie replaces the production we already have and completely improves the defense.

By the way, this years wr class isn't that deep. After the first 4 maybe 5 guys it's a crap shoot.
  • Keep djax,and draft or vis free agency big wide recver,to scare defense's period---he was drawing attention to him,with his speed to open up cooper underneath,restructure his contract and move on djax--remember people m vick kept djax in check,with his temper and shady McCoy--in locker room. Just remember rants on field and sideline,you get the picture. They need more physcl wide recvers and defense backend help at safty and olb spot.
  • The only reason I would consider it is cause I don't trust him. I can't trust he's going to play the good soldier and not pull the antics he has in the past. What was lost in Jackson's solid season was multiple times being benched for actions during games. The Minnesota was the most prominent incident, but it happened in other games were he would have to be taken out for a few series. There are other free agent options that could be had or receiving talents that could be drafted to take his place for similar to less money. The bottom line is as much as I like Jackson (and I am a supporter) I don't think he gives enough bang for the bucks. He was shut down for three quarters against the Saints. He only stepped up after the went to a practice squad guy, cause their starter was injured. We could trade Jackson, use the pick to draft a receiver, sign Boldin, Maclin, maybe Cooper, and Ted Ginn, and get similar to better production from the position as we did from Jackson, Cooper, Avant, and Johnson.
  • He's on the border of not being worth the distraction. Asking for more money after our playoff loss was inexcusible, especially after how he faded to end the season. I'm sure the front office is keeping a close eye on him and exploring possible trades. I wouldn't be upset if he was dealt.
  • Jackson's final three games were for a combined 10 receptions to include a measly three in the playoff game. He was MIA for nearly three quarters in that game. Three prime time games and Jackson was all but invisible with totals of 29 and 28 yards against the Cowboys and Bears to go with only 53 verses the Saints. Oh by the way no touchdowns. That type of stuff doesn't deserve a pay raise. On top of that he was pretty much useless as a return man all season. I like Jackson, but at this point I wouldn't be outraged to see him moved.
  • There is absolutely no reason to get rid of Djax. Anyone that thinks he is expendable is plain wrong or stupid. We need to add not subtract. We have done nothing that shows me that this team can afford to give things aay. It already looks like Maclin could be lost. I hat letting go of top quality guys even though jmac might not be the same. Find a replacement first then let him go not vice versa. Thats bad management. But I expect nothing less than that from lurie & co
  • Why are you attacking Lurie for something I put out there? I have no ties to the organization other than being a fan. Trust me I'm not planting a story for the Eagles to see how the fanbase would react. If I were I certainly wouldn't do it here in this graveyard where there are more responses given from cowboys fans and fake ID midgets fans. With that being the case you are failing to see the big picture. Don't be surprised to see the Eagles draft a receiver or sign one via free agency. Also my concerns about Jackson are three fold. One is his disappearing acts in big games for most of his career. The second us him already making noise for a new contract. Third is how he is no longer a viable return guy thanks to Reid keeping him from doing it for two years. Jackson's value won't be any higher at this point. To ignore some of the facts about Jackson would be foolish on the Eagles part.
  • I'm giving up on this site. Going to eagles board or whatever it's called
  • 20 I've been over there for a while. They have different levels of activity. You wish to talk only Eagles they have a spot for it. You wish to trash talk with other teams fans they have a spot for it too. You wish to discuss who the Eagles should draft and sign they have a place for it as well. It's far more organized with more fans.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.