November 17, 2012

Is There One Eagle Who Should Play In The Pro Bowl?

Thinking about this season and thinking about this roster I wondered to myself if I could think of one player on this roster who is a lock to be in the Pro Bowl and I couldn't think of one. Surprisingly the Eagles do have a few candidates on the offensive side, but even they are long shots at best. Shady McCoy would be the first one who comes to mind when considering an Eagles player for the probowl. McCoys numbers projected out for the season come to about 288 Carries, 1233 rushing yards and 5 touchdowns. Despite McCoys carries actually projecting to be higher than last season, his rush yards in touchdowns are significantly lower. For whatever reason (offensive line) McCoy is not breaking out nor is he the big red zone threat he once was. He is on pace to have the 2nd highest receptions in his career though. He should end up with about 10 total touchdowns. A solid season, but paling in comparison to his breakout season of 2011.

Desean Jackson is actually on pace to have his best season as an Eagle and he really isn't getting the big play this season. Jackson is pacing to catch over 70 balls for over 1200 yards and about 5 touchdowns. All are very solid numbers, but they wont net him a pro bowl bud, because he's not returning punts. Jackson's big play opportunities have been taken away by opposing teams on the field and for whatever reason Jackson is no longer a special teams weapon for the Eagles. Jackson's size makes him a red zone liability and for that reason he will never have big touchdown numbers. 5 touchdowns from Jackson in a season as a receiver will be a good season for him.

On defense there isn't one player right now that deserves a nod for the Pro Bowl. Nnamdi may get one for name reasons only, but the only highlights on sports center he's seen so far is himself giving up a big score or getting a luck offensive pass interference. DRC started the season very strong, but since the Lions game seems to have packed it in. Demeco Ryans makes tackles (he on pace to make over 120 total tackles), but he lacks flash and big plays. He isn't making a great number of tackles in the backfield and I think that hurts him.

On special teams the return men have been awful (paging Desean Jackson) and the coverage teams have been a tad worse. The kicker rarely kicks one into the end zone that results in a touch back and his 16 total field goal kicks do not warrant a special teams bid. Perhaps the special teams was bad early, because Cooper and Anderson were missing, but now those players are back and they still gave up a punt return touchdown to the Cowboys. Not good.

This team wants to constantly TELL US how great they really are, but the reality is there isn't a player on the roster I would say is a lock to make the pro bowl team. There are less than 10 players on the roster I would want to play on my team! Less than 5 would be starters! It's obvious to me this team isn't as talented as they ASSume they are and their record shows it.

29 Comments:
  • NO!
  • Alex Henery...maybe.
  • I thought about Henery. He looks like he could become a great one.
  • Now Shady has been knocked out. This is just a pure mess.
  • New coach, new quarterback and a possible top 5 pick here we come.
  • I would love to see a new GM and scouting staff making that top 5 pick.
  • isnt elite
  • Yeah he is. He finally gets injured and now you chirp? Everyone of those guys you chose over him have already been injured multiple times. Is Benie Wells playing yet?
  • Now you see what happens when you play behind a crappy line. Players get hurt. Lucky thats all it is. No sense in wasting him now.
  • Shady most likely will be shut down too.
  • I hope so because he is a keeper and no sense letting Reid get him hurt. Management needs to send that firm signal. Next week loss will mean the end to Reid. 8 losses and I think for credibility reasons Lurie has to pull the trigger on firing Reid.
  • McCoy's a keeper, hollywood...really? You think so?
  • Hes a reliable back but he isnt a top 5 back in this league. Without a good Oline he is ordinary not great.
  • With 4 out of 5 starters missing from the offensive line including the 2 that get out out and lead for him the most he is sitting at #11. He is still ahead of MOST of the backs you said were better than him including Ray Rice and Matt Forte. McCoy was top 5 last year behind that line (a line you still complained about when discussing the hits that Vick took) and if that line could block just a little I have no doubt he would be having a better year.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • McCoy hasn't sucked the whole time.
  • but according to you he was an elite top 5 back. Now that he has no line do you think he is?
  • Mccoy doesnt get the ball enough to suck. King Dunlap is the by far the biggest piece of trash that i have ever witnessed. This line fell apart along time ago. I said it before, they should have been brought back Jamal Jackson. Thats a big help on the line. King is definitely playing like a peasant.
  • Reid has got to go now. No time to waste.
  • I don't think any of the Eagles should be in the Pro-Bowl. None of them are consistently outstanding - well, even consistently good. Shady looked like he had not clue where he was when he was leaving on the cart, very sad. I don't like to give up on my team, but I'm not going to be too upset when football season is over.
  • Its over now
  • I don't think he's going to kick enough to make it. Tynes from NY nearly has twice as many makes.
  • I don't think he's going to kick enough to make it. Tynes from NY nearly has twice as many makes.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]

Signs your MLB fantasy season is already doomed

Redrafting the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft

The greatest moments from non-playoff NBA teams

Five-round NFL mock draft

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

10 jaw-dropping stats from the NBA season

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.