December 05, 2013

IT'S TOO EARLY TO MOCK ANYONE.

LIKE most sports fans I enjoy speculating over the future of any team that I care about. Of all things that I like to speculate about, the NFL Draft is far and away my favorite.

While many sports (I'm looking at YOU Basketball) may also employ interviews and loads of metrics the same way that football does, you never quite believe that those sports buy into their own voodoo the way football does. It's all so convincing and seductive. You feel like you're actually learning and becoming an expert yourself. It's the reason WE buy into it. We all know that a 40 time is by no means a mark of a good football player (I'm looking at YOU James Jett), but every year we get lathered up by some guy who posts a 4.3, 4.28, or (by God!) a 4.24. The first time someone runs a 3.9, the streets of this nation will be sticky and white. We LOVE making predictions.

I myself gear up the ol' prognostication machine right about when the confetti starts to drop on the Super Bowl champs. For some that may seem a tad early, so I can only imagine that for some, this mock draft  (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/2014_nfl_mock_draft/14754128?linksrc=story_team_philadelphia_eagles_right_head_14754128) would seem a little like trying to name future kids during a first date. 

To be fair I didn't even read the article. With so many 4 and 5 win teams out there right now, it's impossible to say with any certainty who will be in what spot come May of 2014. Even to someone as hardcore as myself, this mock is just jumping the gun. 

Gotta know the spots before you can mock.

8 Comments:
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

• Since I haven't been on any pages besides the EAGLES or RAIDERS, I honestly can't say. I miss her though.
  • If u think that ones too early u should take a look at his 2015 mock. I usually start looking at the next draft, in this case 2014 , the hours or so after the last draft, this case 2013. I do it just to see who people think are gonna be good being that I don't watch too much college football live. I could always just watch the show college football live but he I don't care for it too much. It's always funny to see guys ranked so high at the end of one year to be dropped the next then in the pros they are the "draft day steals". Or guys people finally realize suck like Barkley. I think mariota is a fool for going back to school. He would have been the first or second qb taken this year. Next year he will have to compete for the top spot with Winston and whoever else emerges, maybe Hundley goes back and shows he's better. I like the mocks just to do my own scouting through out the year. I look for guys like Kenny ladler and kurtis Drummond with size and speed who put up good numbers but are getting overlooked by everyone.
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

• Had to dig this thread up when I seen this mock

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/1/13/5302134/2014-nfl-mock-draft-blake-bortles-johnny-manziel
  • An OLB with our first?! man, I certainly hope not. I myself am hoping for a Safety. And like I said in years prior, I would rather the Eagles draft need over the best player available. That PPA strategy hasn't earned us much on defense over the years. Besides, the last time we drafted for need we got Mychal Kendricks.

Have you seen the way Howie Roseman has been openly and publicly lamenting how long it's taken to replace Dawkins? I can't help but think this has been plaguing him for some time. While it could just be a traditional Eagles smokescreen, a fella can hope that we'd be smart enough to address the obvious for a change.
  • I have no problem going OLB number one. My laugh comes at Anthony Barr being there at 22. If that does happen we better take him cause the safety class is deep for the later rounds and outside of haha I don't see a first round pick. Meaning we can get a better player and a safety in round two through four. Kenny ladler and Isaiah Lewis are two guys I would love to get. I've been doing mock drafts just for fun on first-pick.com it has its flaws but fun way to see what other people think of players.
  • Good to know.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Mo'Ne Davis makes cover of SI

Ditka's misguided Redskins remarks

Marbury to star in play about Marbury

Breakout college players for 2014

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Best MLB at-bat walk-up songs

Braxton Miller out for the season

David Wilson to train for 2016 Olympics

Team unveils plaid football helmets

How Mo’Ne Davis got started in baseball

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.