July 14, 2013

KELLY NEEDS TO LOOK AT THE LONG GAME.

ACCORDING to GCobb most of teh player on the roster think Vick is the best option they have at QB. http://gcobb.com/2013/07/13/chip-kelly-comes-clean-about-why-he-kept-michael-vick-around/

My opinion doesn't matter? Fine. I'll suck that up. But what about what the guys who have to head out into battle think? Confidence helps winners win. Should our players go out there with less confidence? 

The wind-up of GCobb's article is that Charles Kelly kept Michael Vick, because he'd lose the locker room if he'd cut him.

That doesn't mean that Kelly thinks Vick is his best QB, it means that Kelly is going to make him prove it. I can't argue with that. That's a coaches prerogative. A little competition is good for a team. My issue is that there is no CURRENT lead-dog. There is no Alpha.

You want your Alpha to be your Champion. But there's no Champion here, because an arbitrator has stripped Vick of his belt BEFORE the fight. When a boxer retires with the (unified) belts and boxing has to impose that championship fight between a couple of ranked guys, that always seems hollow, doesn't it? This is worse than that. This isn't challenger versus Champion, it's just two guys fighting. At the end, one of them will win the right to be the Alpha and it will be awarded to the winner by the arbitrator who is holding the belt, instead of being taken away from the loser. 

NFL players know how this should be done, and the roster sounds as if they know who they want, and whom they wish to follow into battle. Kelly needs to realize that keeping Vick has affected his roster's mindset; and how he handles this going forward will have a great deal to do with how his players, the media, and therefore Free Agents, will see him (and so the Eagles) beyond 2013.

2 Comments:
  • Sometimes you need to listen to your lockeroom. Reid always wanted to be the lead dog and would throw anyone under the bus to stay there. It doesnt work. Its a partnership whether you like it or not. Even Harbaugh got the message with cam camerons offense and made a BOLD move by dumping him late in the season. Give your leaders a voice and the rank and file will follow.
  • I'm pretty sure we'll always be at polar opposites on Andy, but as you said the teams leaders (meaning players) need to be the voice that the rank and file follows.

At this point it seems like Kelly is deliberately stunting the development of any leaders. What he's doing right now goes against some of the most basic tenets of football and the leadership of men.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

MLB players who still might be traded in August

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Pacquiao likely to retire in 2016

Can Vince McMahon save TNA and WWE?

WATCH: TV station airs unfortunate Ray Rice blooper

Johnson suspended for cocaine use

College football's best coordinator duos

Best fantasy options at every position

Bosh: I was close to leaving Miami

Goodell defends Ray Rice punishment

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Tigers acquire David Price in blockbuster

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.