September 10, 2013

LIKED / DISLIKED

VICTORY is ours!

In every win there are good points and bad points. Continuing to win is a matter of maintaining what works and strengthening what doesn't.

LIKED:

1) LeSean McCoy seeing more than 15 carries in a game. He's a beast. He's a weapon. (He's on my fantasy team).

2) Brent Celek blocking less on passing plays. Nothing takes away a blitzer like having to cover someone.

3) Seeing Trent Cole get to put 4 on the floor. The 'skins played to his strength instead of his weakness. We won't get that break every week, but I'll take it when we can.

4) Frequency of play-action used early. 

DISLIKED:

1) The pace. EAGLES Offensive players were gassed in the second half. According to Jason Kelce, he needed an oxygen mask https://twitter.com/GeoffMosherCSN/status/377272961507393537 . And this is with Kelly letting up in the second half of the FIRST GAME! I don't like where this could put us physically by December.

2) McCoy carrying OVER 30 times as Vick limped the game out. At a certain point we should have seen Nick Foles and more Bryce Brown out there. Maybe even come Chris Polk. (Though it would have cost me my comeback FF win last night, as I started both Vick and McCoy.) We need these guys for the whole year. Once a game is decided, take the time to develop our youth.

3) The lack of dump-off routes. No QB functions well against the blitz without a place to dump it. You can throw it away, but then there's a difference between being efficient vs. the blitz and being dangerous vs. the blitz.

4) Our coverage. While our CB's played well, lost in all the hullabaloo is the fact that we allowed a rusty QB to complete 61% of his passes for 329 yards. Most of those 30 completions in the intermediate middle or in the flat. Down the sidelines was closed for business last night.

7 Comments:
  • I think the o-line is our potential best asset. I mean for the first game out for some in over a year it was pretty impressive. This unit could be one of the best in the league. The offense is thin. What do we have after d-jax? You lose him and this thing nose dives. We need depth. the defense was hitting thats a solid start for me. There was good pressure all night. Thats something that as been missing. I think there is room for improvement in many areas but if this is our best its not that bad.
  • Chip has to figure out a way for Vick to get the ball out quicker when he sees a blitz. Vick won't last a month if he keeps taking hits like he did last night.
  • I like that it was the first time in almost three years that the team played Eagle football albeit a new version. They were hitting and played with attitude. If they can sustain this momentum its the front offices job to secure more talent.
  • I haven't seen the defense play with that kind of energy since JJ. These players obviously believe in the system if they're flying around like that.
  • I think some players are stepping up. Guys like Ryans, Fletcher, Williams, Kendricks, Cole, Cox, Anderson, Boykin. That makes me interested in the Eagles. last years crap forget it. I refuse to accept that kind of play. This was Eagles football on defense.
  • I can't say I'm at at sold on the Defense right now. 329 passing yards and allowing 61% of attempts to become completions to mid-level skill players (at best), is alarming in itself. Choking that over to a rusty athlete in a knee brace is only worse. This is all made worse yet again considering that Washington is a pretty vanilla team by nature of their play-calling.

So again, a predictable team, with a rusty QB armed with no real game-breakers, managed to shake off our Defense enough to turn a 26-7 halftime lead into a 33-27 final score. TRUE, the Offense did let up, but it was THEIR OFFENSE that settled OUR DEFENSE to score the points that made it a game again.

I don't expect San Diego to be any more of a threat, since they don't understand that at some point you have to stop throwing it and run out leads. (One of the inherent dangers of your HC/OC being a former QB.) But against teams like KC, Denver, Dallas, GB, Minny, Detroit, and OMG Chicago; with either bolder coaches, more dangerous supporting casts or both, I expect the 'skins game to be the anomaly.
  • The defense will be average to below average. It will be able to force turnovers and be aggressive and get sacks, but it will give up a lot of points. But with a great offense, our defense doesn't have to be good. A forced turnover can be the difference between winning and losing. Our defense will allow us to be competitive which is all you can ask for, coming off 4-12.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

12 managers who are on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.