September 16, 2013

LIKED / DISLIKED: WEEK TWO

HONESTLY I'm glad this loss came sooner rather than later. When you cut a corner or do something else wrong, the WORST thing that can happen is getting away with it, because it says that it's okay to keep doing the wrong thing. 

In every win there are good points and bad points. Continuing to win is a matter of maintaining what works and strengthening what doesn't.

LIKED:

1) Damaris Johnson’s running start kick returns. It’s hard to read a returner’s intent that way. Now all Johnson needs to do is remember to “break” hard against the flow and he’ll blow open containments almost at will.

2) The 3 or 4 deep throws to DeSean Jackson. Even if you don’t hit him, even a near miss will loosen the box and allow LeSean McCoy room to run inside.

3) The efficiency that the Offense runs with. They don’t need a lot of time to do a lot of damage.

4) The CLEAN hit that DeMeco Ryans laid on Michael Floyd. Nothing says “I dare you to send another starter over the middle” like an ambulance ride. I GUARANTEE you that K.C. receivers will locate #59 before every snap next week. I look forward to seeing at least one alligator armed pass.

DISLIKED:

1) Our Safeties.

2) How easy it is to complete passes (especially in the flat) against our Defense. Phillip Rivers was 36 of 47 for over 400 yards. Put away the calculator that’s a whopping 76% completion rate.

3) McCoy’s 11 carries. Must it be either too much or too little?! How about 18-21 carries? Not touches, CARRIES. I wrote a ‘THE 12’ post about this in 2011 called “Touches Ain’t Rushes”. They are blocked different, and they do different things to a Defense.

4) Michael Vick was clobbered with another free run from the right for the second week in a row. This HAS TO get fixed! Also (and this is a separate but related issue), there is still an alarming lack of dump routes. Even the announcer commented on it. 

5 Comments:
  • When you have half a team this is the result. The defense doesnt have the talent. You add DRC, Jenkins and Patterson back to this team they play at a higher level. Im not saying they would be great but truth be told you get what you pay for. Its a shame because Chips system doesnt funtion properly w/o that ball. Its time Allen get benched. He flat out stinks. With Fletcher out there is a dropoff in that secondary. They cant afoord to lose anyone back there. Why do they continue to throw to the hands of stone (Celek) in key situations. They are as thin all around on both sides of the ball. This team is under the cap and it shows on the field. You said earlier this year talent wasnt a prolem. I completely disagree. That being said I think they bounce back vs KC.
  • The EAGLES have more than enough talent at positions like QB, RB, TE, ILB, DE, and DT. We have just enough talent at OLB, OT, P, K, CB, and (thanks to injury) WR. Where we're weak is right down the middle at positions like SS, FS, C, and G.

We lack a core.

Bigger than any talent problem though is the architecture of the Defense. Billy Davis has no clue what system he's running, which is why he can't answer the basic question "What are you running?" What he's doing is sacrificing outside coverage to bring Cole and Barwin down as rushers, and as a result our opponents are completing a whopping 68.75% of their passes.

He also trying to use ILB's to compensate, creating voids over the middle. Then again when they DON'T slide the ILB's out they end up with naked flats. Two ILB's can't cover four unders, even if they play zone on the seams. Worse still, at times you saw the ILB's cover the middle deeper than 8 yards. On the play where Malcolm Floyed was hurt BOTH ILB's were nearly 20 yards deep. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9677729/malcom-floyd-san-diego-chargers-taken-field-stretcher. It was the first play of the second half. That's just how much they're being asked to do to compensate for our Safeties AND our OLB's.

THAT is poor architecture.
  • Great analysis.
  • YEP!
    Why don’t we just nip it in the bud, now. Same old story every year.
    LET’S GET IT OVER WITH. ANOTHER SEASON, ANOTHER REASON TO STICK A FORK IN THEM.
    Welcome to pro-football. Defense is offensive,,,,has to be
    reconstructed.

• I agree with you that the Eagles are sacrificing coverage for pass rush and some run support but the fact is the Dline is average at best, the LBs are suitabl(Ryans is good- kendricks has potenial)but not stellar and the secondary is weak in almost all phases of the game. The DT are not talented. Cox is supposed to be good. And the rest are what? Its easy to put all of your talent on one side of the ball and say hey we have a great offense. But they have deferred using resources on defense and it shows. They are giving a decent effort . I just dont think they have talent to stop anyone.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

T-Wolves announce Kevin Love deal with newspaper ad

Final Team USA Basketball roster

HS coach receives racist letter

Report: Machado's season over

Players who'll decide the national title

NFL cheerleader Instagram accounts

Olympian walking again after accident

WATCH: Bucs rookie involved in brawl

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Rusney Castillo signs with Boston

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.