November 12, 2012

Looks Like Foles Will Be The Starter Next Week.

It would seem that Mike Vick has suffered a fairly serious concussion in the Cowboys game and while he's out Foles WILL BE GETTING ALL THE SNAPS. This will be a great defense for Foles to start his first NFL game against. The Redskins have several key defensive players out, but they also have talented veterans sprinkled around in their defense. It will be a defense who will come at him and he will have to make quick decisions with the football. I go into the game expecting nothing from the rookie. I will just be evaluating him on how he plays, reacts to adversity, his leadership capability, and his decision making. I am excited to see what this kid can do though. His success or failure could mean the difference in how the Eagles approach this next draft. 

51 Comments:
  • he loked poised and tough but I question his ability to make the high velocity sideline throws and mid range strikes.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • he looked poised but you have to admit this line looked completely different from prior weeks. they still stunk but they tried to block. I dont think it was a secret this was coming. The punishment added up and Vick was clearly through with this folly.
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

• I noticed that too. Smart politicking by a very young guy and a show of some leadership skills. I don't know if Foles is the real deal, but I do know Vick isn't. That's why I think it is important to find out now.
  • Thats where I disagree. As usual they are putting the cart before the horse. They are nixing Vick before the next coach comes in and works out with management a direction for the team. that could eliminate alot of coaching prospects that may have already determined that Vick or Foles or both arent in the gameplan.
  • We KNOW Vick isn't in the future, but Foles hasn't had a chance yet. Now it's time to find out. Again you should be happy! After all weren't you the one saying all the Eagles do is kill black quarterbacks? Now a white guy gets a chance. BTW stop being so racist.
  • I agree with the leadership part and I also agree with the point that these receivers were scared of where those throws were going. He was setting up players , not on purpose, to get hurt and this team is a finesse team. Jackson and Maclin showed they arent tough enough or are smart enough to know when to say when. Its not this kids fault but Ill wait and pass judgement when I see the next coach thats hired.
  • It will be nice to see what he can do getting the reps in practice this week and working as the one with the coaches on the game plan. Looking forward to it.
  • Reports are starting to surface about Vick being done for the rest of the year. Maybe something DID come down from above.
  • I don't think so. I sure hope not.
  • Its awfully strange. Say it spot. You sort of see my opinion on the matter . Even if its just a by a hair.
  • Whine for the sake of whining. If there is nothing to whine about, then make something up to whine about.
  • EXACTLY right! That is what he is all about!
  • Og course it is. That was one of the softest hits Vick took all season. Hes done because of the cumulative effect of all the hits. Not just those wussy hits last nite.
  • If his hits are cumulative then at least half of them he can blame on himself.

show comment

• I don't think so. Vick's ego would not have been able to handle that.
  • Vick was left to be punished by reid & the organization for some strange reason. No one can say with a straight face that this o-line was significantly better than every other game this season. i just think the timing is strange.
  • Foles came in cold and completed over 60% of his passes. Vick on the other hand completes 60% of his passes like twice in a season.
  • That is part of it, isn't it? A rookie stepped in had some nice plays, threw some BAD balls, drove the team to a couple touchdowns, had a couple turnovers...all in all he did everything Vick has been doing this year in his first NFL game! You would hope that a rookie will learn from his mistakes and KNOW that a 10 year vet won't! I liked the FACT that Foles was getting rid of the football quickly and that he didn't take nearly the amount of hits Vick took.
  • Yeah I know. In woods eyes there was some kind of the line hates Vick conspiracy. He didn't realize that Vick has made his line look bad too by holding onto the ball too long. Just throw the football!

show comment

show comment

show comment

show comment

• I wouldn't get too excited just yet about Foles, he's still a rookie and rookies usually take their lumps,(unless your Andrew Luck) But at least your finally rid of the dog killer....maybe.
  • I don't think anyone is calling Foles the next anything here. People are just saying in a wasted season let's not completely waste it. Let's see what the rookie can do. If he can play then that is one less problem for the next coach to deal with. If he can't then it's priority number one for the new coach.
  • It's exactly what we are trying to get through to hollywood. No one can predict what Foles will turn out to be (although some of us like to believe we are Nostradamus) but with KNOWING Vick has no shot coming back with his play and contract situation the Eagles must see what Foles can do. The new coach may need to draft a quarterback next year and a few games with film on Foles will help the evaluation process.
  • The ONLY way I see a return of Vick or Nnamdi is if they both are willing to take pay cuts. Nnamdi may stay, because he has 4 Mil guaranteed against the cap, but Vick could be dealt with.
  • Good point Easy, but it took a bad injury to vick to get Foles in. Reid should have pulled the trigger in games where vick was playing poorly and get the kid into some game situations way before this. That also may have lit a fire under vicks butt to get his act together. Football is like a big chess game with players that come and go.
  • I agree. Reid has taken far too long to lite a fire under his players. He's constantly talked about accountability (doing a better job), but has repeatedly gone back do doing the same things that has got him in trouble with the same players. If Reid wanted to lite a fire under this team he should have benched Vick at least for a game or during a game weeks ago.
  • That is interesting, because Reid claimed Vick's concussion was "significant" and Foles is the one getting the snaps. I think it's just a smoke screen by Reid to force the Redskins to at least game plan for Vick too. I would be shocked Mike Vick plays.
  • It's going to be Foles. He's had all the reps so far. It's all just Reid being Reid but Spotella is right. I've heard and read the same thing.
  • we agree finally. Reid playing games . Protecting his ass. hes a joke.
  • How is that protecting his ass? It's just the way he is. Why does everything the Eagles do and say have to have an underhanded reason according to you? You still don't understand why I take everything you say with a grain of salt (or just flat out know it's BS).
  • I don't see how he interpreted that out of anything you wrote.
  • He's confused these days.
  • I am not going to predict what Foles might become, but I will point out two things he's done that I've liked. The first wan going to the line and congratulating those guys on the Maclin touchdown. That maligned group could use a boost! The second thing is what he recently stated about the fans. He mentioned how it will be a hostile crowd in DC, but he also mentioned how the great fans of Philly will be there and traveling to support them. How is it a rookie gets it (support your fans), but veterans like Babin, Vick, Avant, and Mathis don't?

show comment

Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Final Team USA Basketball roster

HS coach receives racist letter

Report: Machado's season over

Players who'll decide the national title

NFL cheerleader Instagram accounts

Olympian walking again after accident

WATCH: Bucs rookie involved in brawl

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Rusney Castillo signs with Boston

Harvey Updyke pie toss canceled over death threats

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.