November 06, 2012

Maclin The Breakout Makes 2 Catches.

The Eagles going up against one of the worst defenses they may face all season got only 2 catches from the great Jeremy Maclin. Maclin was also M.I.A. in the redzone (something that was supposed to be his specialty) where the Eagles have once again struggled to score. People keep saying this guy is great, but where is it? I don't see it. Where is Maclin when the Eagles need him the most? John Madden used to say "Big Players Make Big Plays." 2 catches for 28 yards against the worst secondary in football does not a "big player" make. Release him at the end of the year and sign Wallace from the Steelers.

41 Comments:
  • Maybe he needs a new head coach who knows how to use him. Better yet. Maybe him and the coach just needs to go.
  • Maclin is definitely struggling but I still think you are going a little overboard here. Why do you think some people hoped he would have a breakout year? Because he had a couple of pretty good years leading up to this one. Players have had off seasons...doesn't mean they are done...doesn't make them busts. I know you are realistic, Eazy. Do me a favor before you start calling for the Eagles to release this player and that player and to sign new high priced free agents next year. It will happen somewhat with a new coach on the horizon but take a look at where the Eagles are when it comes to cap room next year. Right now with the current roster and a projected cap around the same the Eagles will be 17 million over the cap. Vick will be waived but will have some dead money, Bell and his projected 6 million will be gone (good riddance), and I would guess there will be other disappointments that are let go but a new coach may not have nearly as much money to play with as some fans would think. May not be that easy to let go of a young player who had one bad year (and has a year left on his current deal) and bring in what surely would be another receiver due aroung 10 million per year.
  • I'm betting there is more money to be had than you think. We still are going to need new offensive and defensive lineman. Certainly those are a priority over another receiver. I'm not sure if Maclin is a free agent or not, but heck Riley Cooper seems like a better option than Maclin right now. Listening to Reid right now. Dude sounds completely defeated.
  • We'll see what's there after the new coach does some housecleaning. One thing I am certain of...there should be 17 million minus whatever Vick's cap hit is for releasing him.
  • Vick, Bell, Tapp, Jenkins, maybe Babin, Cole, and Nnamdi released could free up a lot of space depending on their cap space hit. They may not be able to release them all, but there is money to be had.
  • I'm not sure I would get rid of Cole. Babin, yes (I believe with either no cap hit or very little) but when teams struggle like this sometimes the whole team gives up a little. Frustrating for fans and you have to ask why keep any player that would give up? Can't waive everybody, can they? If they waive Babin and Cole (who for years was the only DE getting pressure) then they have Hunt, Graham and Curry? Have to keep Cole and hope he bounces back next year.
  • Yeah I think I would keep Cole. Prior to Babin and Washburn he was the good soldier. Maybe we can get that back. Certainly they wont be able to gut them all. Just the main parts.
  • Keep Cole. babin and jenkins can go. Maclin not sure but they need a receiver and a tight end
  • The TE stinks right now. So does Cole and Maclin.
  • Celek with 2 big drops again.
  • He's coming up too small. Sit him down I say.
  • Reid should have benched a player or two over his tenure for more than just missing meetings. He did it from time to time but not near enough. Take a player out for a drive or two or a quarter when they are coming up small, show them you are serious about winning!
  • What mostly needs to be done is someone needs to get in this place and learn how to draft players along with a new coach.
  • Maybe the next coach can get something out of this guy.
  • Jeremy Maclin ZERO CATCHES AGAINST THE REDSKINS!!! He should be benched!
  • For who, Eazy? Your favorite receiver Cooper? An injured Avant? Unfortunately that isn't Reid's way...that may be one of the reasons why the team is giving up. They know for the most part less than 100% means almost nothing when playing in Philly. I was texting a buddy of mine and telling him the next lineman who had a holding call should be benched...with that crew I doubt we would even notice.
  • Maclin and anyone else who isn't producing should be benched. Cooper at least was hustling out there. Maclin is short arming on passes and simply not showing up. If he were Todd Pinkston, Reggie Brown, or Freddie Mitchell he would be getting killed right now. I would rather see Cooper out there. Bring up McNutt. See if he can play. Maclin is coasting. It's obvious he has checked out.
  • I agree we need bigger physical receivers. I told you at the beginning of the year that they are too soft and small.
  • I wanted them to go after a red zone threat too. Did you forget?
  • No I agree give McNutt a shot. Bench Maclin. Dont need him.
  • I sort of like Cooper.
  • What maclin doesnt realize is that this nose dive is going to nose dive his market value. Who would want that attitude.
  • Yeah, Maclin doesn't realize that at all. LOL.
  • I think they will have no choice but to keep Vick. Vick will be the starter again but there is no need to keep Andy . He is completely detached from the game is absolutely contributing nothing on the sideline. Its time to get rid of his fat ass.
  • No choice but to keep an overpaid quarterback that just can't get it done? No other choice? Really? Keep typing, hollywood.
  • I dont see any college options or free agents do you?
  • Do you truly not get that with how Vick has looked in the last two years and how he is being paid there is NO shot that he will be back next year? You discuss coaches and want to bring in anybody to replace Reid and I get that, you discuss Maclin and want to replace him with a player on the practice squad, you stated the other day a linebacker that has 2 tackles so far this year could replace any of the Eagles linebackers yet you refuse to acknowledge that Vick is not a good option (especially when discussing getting a fresh start) and that his chances with the Eagles are over after this season.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • There's always another choice when your quarterback hasn't gotten it done for 2 years. That choice may not end up panning out either but the Eagles can't just stand pat with Vick (not at 18 million and they will NOT renegotiate, there is no need to).
  • The days of finesse are over. BTime to get back to Eagle football. Big defense and hard now offense.
  • This is the worst eagles season since Marion Campbell years for anyone who remembers.Reid should have resigned following todays disgraceful showing or lack of,or Lurie should have fired him, his players that he defends game after game have quit and officially they are the worst team in the league with the high priced talent.
  • This is the worst eagles season since Marion Campbell years for anyone who remembers.Reid should have resigned following todays disgraceful showing or lack of,or Lurie should have fired him, his players that he defends game after game have quit and officially they are the worst team in the league with the high priced talent.
  • Good valid point. Lurie will fire him at 3-8. He wont want to be percieved as a liar. Even though he is one.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Good valid point? You mean how he brought up the fact that Reid defends his team game after game? I find it funny how you post after some of our comments agreeing with us yet I really don't see where when you add to the comment. I actually do agree with you that there is no backing out for Lurie at this point and there is no doubt in my mind that he has to fire Reid but I fail to see where Alex16 actually stated that or that he will fire him at 3-8.
  • The rumblings are starting to put Vick in as soon as he is healthy. Just like Kolb Im gonna tell you again. Foles needs to develop. I like him I mean hes a ballsy mofo to get out there with no pro experience and start. But its self serving for Reid and dangerous for this young mans future. This sint the way to develop talent. To just throw a guy behind that terrible o-line. They are gonna ruin him. Lurie needs to send a strong signal to everyone including the fans that hes had enough. And that means firing Reid before the season ends otherwise he will be seen as part of the problem. If this owner trully cares about the future he will step in now. Lurie needs to get his hands dirty a here and make a broad statement loud and clear.
  • Why in your opinion can a 1st round pick develop and a 3rd rounder has to sit on the bench or he'll be ruined. It depends on the individual, hollywood. It's funny that you are fine with throwing "your 6'0" 215 pound guy" behind that line but you are concerned about 6'6" 245 pound Foles. If he has the mental makeup to be a starter he will be fine and could develop some by the end of the year. I'm still convinced he is getting the ball out quicker and still is taking less hits. It would be nice to be able to develop any quarterback for a while and it sucks that he has to play behind this pitiful line in his first start and possibly beyond but it is what it is. If Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Wilson, Ponder, Dalton, Roethlisberger, the Mannings, etc., etc., etc., have the mental make up to survive starting a few games why the hell can't Foles. Simply because he is a 3rd rounder? Is that truly all you got?
  • Shady McCoy injured in a game he shouldn't be in any longer. The rookie tossing the ball for over 40 times. Pathetic!
  • Im sorry but this is probably as bad ive seen. The effort combined with the arrogance leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the fans.
  • They will be hard pressed to win another game if Reid stays until the end of the season and we won't know anything about Foles because most of them have quit on this season leaving him throwing the ball to Riley Cooper and Celek if he can catch it.
  • Why do you even want them to win another game? It's about draft positions now.

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Gallery: Dancers of the NBA playoffs

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.