July 27, 2013

Maclin Will Be Missed

Maclin going down is a big loss to this team and this offense. It now adds pressure on guys like Riley Cooper and Avant to step up. Riley Cooper especially has been a guy who has been able to stick around due to his potential and special teams play, but now he’s going to have to step up and be a guy the Eagles can count on to make plays. As for Maclin this injury could signify his finality as an Eagles. He’s a guy who has over the years had injury problems, but has been a solid receiver. It seemed every year he was expected to have a break out season, but for some reason never reached the next level. I feel bad for Maclin and this is precisely the reason Jackson acted out the way that he did when his contract was in its final year. Players in the circumstances that Maclin was in often are discarded away by the team. If a serviceable replacement rises from out of the roster the Eagles will turn the page from Maclin. Best wishes to Maclin as he goes through this troubling time in his career.

29 Comments:
  • Such a shame for Jeremy Maclin. I feel bad for the man. I'm sure it has to be hard after all the excitement building with a new coaching staff and his thoughts of putting a great season together to secure his future. In regards to that I wouldn't doubt he signs a one year deal next year with the Eagles to show them and the rest of the league that he is worthy of a bigger long term contract in 2015.
  • If one of the young guys work out this season I get the feeling the Eagles will get out of the Maclin business. To be honest he's been a good player, but I don't believe he's played up to his potential. He was a great return man in Missouri, but in the pros he stunk at it. He's never been an elite receiver just kind of really good. If they can match his production with one of the young guys I think he's done here.
  • There are also two very talented receivers coming out in this next draft class. The first, Sammy Watkins of Clemson. The second, Marquis Lee of USC.
  • Next years draft seems talented at least at the top end of the draft (as it stands now anyway). Boyd, Bridgewater, possibly Manziel and AJ McCarron, Lee and Watkins, two tackles who could have added to the talent at the position if they would have come out this year (Lewan and Matthews) and possible top pick Clowney. I'm hoping the Eagles may get a shot at one of the QBs if needed but regardless they will get a player if they are again picking in the top 10.
  • I'm not so sure if I want Manziel. He seems like the type to get caught up in the media hype.
    The last thing I want to see is another quarterback more focused on the glamor then he is on his play book.
  • It could happen that way but with Maclin's injury he could be looking at a one year deal from whoever signs him until he proves himself again...what better team to do that with than the team that gave him his start in the NFL? His agent may advise him that Kelly's offense could be the perfect offense to showcase his talents. Basically what I am stating is that he may have to use 2014 as his 2013 and it very could well be with the Eagles depending on where Kelly and his QB are at come 2014.
  • I'm sure Steve Smith felt that way about the Giants right up to the point when he
    signed with the Eagles. It's unfortunate, but Maclin's injury could be a blessing
    to one of these young guys. Maybe out of the ashes our Victor Cruiz emerges.
  • And you can also add Kenny Phillips and I thought of him when posting my comment but it does happen and it wouldn't surprise me if Maclin signs with the Eagles for one year in 2014. Hopefully the Eagles do find their Cruz out of the bunch that are here but that is a longshot.
  • Maclin will live to play another day. Such are the breaks in the NFL. But as an Eagle , he had some good games but overall this year was his last opportunity to prove he was elite and its now over. Time to move on from Maclin.
  • Marlins out. Benns hurt. Cooper I'm not impressed by, but he did have a decent year last year. Johnson might not make the team. Avants playing DB. Shepherd is a FA rookie who needs to best our Johnson. To me that leaves two guys to rise n make a push. One is will Murphy. Let me start out by saying I know nothing about him but he played for chip and coaches love to have some of their own guys around, right Dixon? Second is the giant momah. Dudes a physical freak. He's got lebron like athleticism it would seem. 6-7 240 runs a 4.4. Sounds great. But why didn't he get drafted???

This is my guess at the WRs for opening day
    Desean
    Cooper
    Avant
    Benn
    Momah
    Murphy
    Shepherd

Yes I see us having a ton of WRs.
  • Having a ton doesnt give you depth. They need to look for some free agent depth or trade.
  • Didn't say it did. That's the problem. As for FAs there aren't any better than cooper or what momah could be.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Im the opposite. I had no hope for him but now feel he could be decent. Not a starter but a decent fill in. It may be the horrible play around him last year that's swaying my view, unfortunately I think we will find out what he is this year.
  • I don't think much of Cooper either. I think he's a waste of talent, and I think people believe he could be Jordy Nelson, but he's simply isn't good enough. Despite his size he isn't that strong at the jump point. He doesn't know ho to use his body to leverage for space, and his hands are just okay to me.
  • he isnt a premier receiver but he is capable of finding seams in defense and has decent speed. Hopefully, he can block. I would play avant outside and put cooper in the slot.
  • I don't think Cooper is built for the slot. I don't think he is capable of taking the inside pounding. I also doubt his route running skills. Maybe if he shows more he could be trusted, but as of now Avant is the better inside player.
  • So went to camp and foles looked bad. Really bad. Didn't know routes weak arm under throws all day held the ball way too long. Vick on the other hand was spot on. Ran the option well. Throws were perfect almost all day. He had two bad throws I can remember. Vick looked better with the twos against the ones than foles did with the ones against anyone. Also Dixon n kinne looked good. Kinne actually surprised me how good he looked but he is defiantly a project.

Desean was nasty. No one could cover him on any route and he actually ran more than go routes. Cooper had great catches all day long and may be about to turn the corner. Avant did his thing. Johnson was making plays. Ertz looked good celek n harbor looked horrible.

The lines were the only people hitting until the end when things got testy. I wasn't impressed by the dline no one stood out. The o line was able to make holes and shady n Polk were finding them n blowing through them. Polk was a standout today. Shady was a beast.

The dline was nothing special. The LBs were good besides cole. Ryans was stepping up against the run and would of had some tackles if they would have tackled. Kendricks was everywhere great coverage and run support. Barwin had good pass rush. The cole n graham side seems one sided. Even in drills watching them drop u could tell cole was struggling. Graham on the other hand looks like he was born for this. He looked so fluid in his movement it was amazing.

The only DB that stood out to me was Kenny Phillips. He was able to cover n get his hands on balls. Marsh looked better than expected and boykins was handling momah. Although when momah was allowed to run something other than a go n Vick seen him ( foles ignored him all day even when open n on a go against boykins) he made the catch n turnt up field throwing boykins to the ground with ease. For the most part boykins was able to hang with the giant which was good to see because other big wr were killing him last year.
  • Listening to fans call into 97.5 (WFAN) I heard that Foles didn't look too hot and one caller said that he had a couple picks dropped (I think a couple underthrown balls that Lindley knocked away) and that same caller said Vick also looked great...unfortunately you and he are the only ones to describe Vick's play that way so far that I have heard. Everyone else I heard call in and most media members I read so far describe all the QBs as being lack luster today (one caller said that with his reps he was given Dennis Dixon looked the best). Some said that Barkley looked better than both Vick and Foles but one caller said it was mostly on short routes. I also heard one media member (don't remember who but I think he was an Eagles beat reporter covering the practice for WFAN) state that Vick scrambled a couple times in the backfield and threw across his body to have the balls knocked down by defenders in the middle of the field (he made a comment about it being the all too familiar Vick or something like that). I'm sure some of the comments I heard from the fans at least are opinions with agendas and this battle won't pan out until weeks into the preseason and may end up even going into the regular season without Kelly having a standout option. Vick will have some better practices, Foles will look better at times and maybe at some point Barkley makes Kelly realize that he is the best option for today and possibly the future. Just to give you one media member's outlook on today's practice here is Rueben Frank's opinion on some of what he saw today and his number count.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-qb-tracker-vick-foles-split-reps-day-3

As for the rest of your comments reading them makes me look forward to the first preseason game. What do we have just a couple of weeks?...can't wait. I especially like those comments on Graham...hopefully he can keep improving and grab a hold of that outside linebacker spot opposite Barwin.

• 97.5 the fanatic not WFAN...my bad.
  • ez and GTD are going to flag this post.
  • I should flag your post, because you've written nothing here.
  • I should add that Felix jones looked horrible. Out of position, slow, always trying to get to the sideline, ran into foles a couple times before the snap
  • It was the first day in pads, and from what I heard no hitting. This isn't a track meet. By week three of the preseason we will have a good idea of who's going to be here, who won't, who will become starters, and who the backups will be.
  • I saw that special teamer and back up linebacker Jason Phillips may have done some significant damage to his knee today. Here we go again. It will be easier for me as a fan to deal with these injuries this year because I know the Eagles aren't going anywhere but I still feel horrible for the players...such a shame. What is with all these injuries anymore? Every team seems to take some hard lumps every year and we all know "our" Eagles have had their share. It's unfortunate but I guess simply a part of the game.
  • Every team has injuries. Stop being such a wuss.
  • For a guy who claims to support the players you sure don't seem to care. If you're an Eagles fan why do you care about everyone else and their injuries?
  • you act like the seasons over because of one injury. Look in Balto Pita got hurt but no one here is going woes me. Its part of the game. This team needs to man up.
  • I don't know what people are doing in Baltimore (nor do I care), because I don't live there you dumb S.O.B.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Tony Stewart to race again on Sunday

Fantasy stars who'll bounce back in 2014

WWE interested in Ronda Rousey?

NFL records that are poised to be broken in 2014

College football's all-name team

USC player calls coach racist, then quits the team

NFL has new policy for domestic violence suspensions

WATCH: Manziel in Snickers ad

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.