April 06, 2013

MAKING PROGRESS LIKE A BOSS

EARLIER this week I mentioned the possibility that the Raiders could trade Rolando McClain. Yesterday I mentioned the idea of then simply cutting him.

Today?

THEY CUT HIM!!! HOORAY!!!!

Yes he was another high draft pick by the late, great AL DAVIS. In fact he was #8 overall. When he wanted to play, the guy had game, but that condition right there, that was a big knock on him. Add to that the that he had the maturity level of a toddler, and the legal troubles (including pointing a gun at a man's head then firing it BESIDE the man's ear)

Here's a picture of the idiot being arrested:

Note the smile?

Back during the 60's, 70's and 80's this sort of thing was looked off by AL DAVIS. "Just Win Baby Win". If you did that, your business was your own.

This is not that time, and HE is no longer in charge. There is a new culture throughout the league and if we cannot adapt and form our own niche within it, we will continue as we have been in recent years. So the malcontents and chronic underachievers had to go.

And so with that I say good riddance to Rolando McClain, Carson Palmer and (to a lesser extent) Tommy Kelly.

We are turning the page.

19 Comments:
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but Al Davis passed away in 2011 which means he had nothing to do with the 2012 draft. So what did the Raiders do with their 2012 draft pick? They traded it away along with their 2013 second round pick for a guy they just traded for a 7th round pick. Yes it seems the Raiders are turning the page, but unfortunately for the Raiders all the pages are blank.
  • You are wrong.

The Palmer trade (concluded 10 days after the death of AL DAVIS) INCLUDED the 1st pick in the 2012 Draft. It was not traded away AT the Draft. AL had been chasing Bengals owner Mike Brown since the summer to get him to allow Palmer to come to Oakland but Brown had a REAL DEAL rod up his a** and wouldn't budge. It wasn't until 10 days after AL died (inspiring a hell of a win with AL out there as the 11th man) that his staff managed to finish what he had started.

So there. You stand corrected. You're welcome.
  • So then you are saying they traded a first and a possible first in this years draft, because a dead man wanted them to???? Yeah that group has it all together. LOL
  • We have a first in this years Draft we pick 3rd. It's the 2nd rounder we don't have.

And YES they completed his work because that's what you do when you love and trust someone. Carson Palmer didn't work out not because of his PLAY, but because like in Cincy he was becoming a locker room cancer. If you're rebuilding a team you can't have that around your youth.

We WERE prepared to simply cut Palmer, but then we managed to get at least something for him. When you can trade a used condom for a lollipop it's a good (if not lucrative) deal.
  • That only proves how stupid that organization is. They gave away the farm for a guy WHO WAS A LOCKER ROOM CANCER FOR HIS OLD TEAM ALLEGEDLY AT THEE BEHEST OF A MAN WHO WAS DEAD! Surprisingly he became a locker room cancer in Oakland too (the truth is the Raiders didn't want to pay him). If they are that stupid they there is probably going to be some very dark days ahead for Raiders fans and I don't mean their uniforms. Pryor to the Eagles for a seventh.
  • The Raiders have won 3 Super Bowls with re-tread locker room cancers. They don't scare us. Perhaps in THIS era they should, but it's hard to argue with past successes.

All the more reason to change the culture. And we DO need a change. Wouldn't you agree?
  • No actually I could careless if the Raiders never win another game ever. I could care less about the Raiders if the win five straight Super Bowls. I wouldn't care if the San Andreas fault finally sends the West Coast into the Pacific. The Raiders mean nothing to me.
  • BULLSH**!!!!

If they mean nothing to you, why are you on all my Raider posts?

You're either on here to talk ABOUT them, or to talk TO me; because there isn't much else that these posts could POSSIBLY offer you.
  • I think Eazy is trying to show you how foolish some of your comments and posts are. Maybe I'm wrong. Funny how you spin so many Raider mistakes like ANOTHER recent former 1st round pick getting cut quickly into a positive yet you go out of your way to look for negatives with the Eagles.
  • Dude I said LAST year when he got arrested that I wanted him gone. Since you like combing my archives so much, get to work.
  • So you wanting him gone makes it a good thing that the Raiders cut another recent 1st round pick? Okay MR. Self-important (sorry for using your words but it just fit so well here)! As for "combing" your archives it isn't difficult to find your comments both positive with the Andy Reid Eagles and negative with the Chip Kelly Eagles. We all know when your attitude started changing...when you finally admitted to yourself that Andy Reid was gone.
  • Cutting a man who fires a gun BESIDE SOMEONES HEAD after first HOLDING IT AGAINST THEIR HEAD IN PUBLIC IS A GOOD THING, regardless of what round he was taken in.

Maybe you want him to come here?
  • Keep dancing around the fact that the Raiders had another wasted 1st round pick regardless of what happened afterwards. That's right they drafted him YEARS ago...want to move forward yet you bring up how Reid didn't get anything for draft picks and how that looks to still be the Eagles way (after 3-4 weeks of the new coaches regime). The Raiders have flat out cut 3 somewaht recent first round draft picks in the past year or so with nothing to show for it. They received next to nothing for a QB they gave up a 1st and a 2nd for. I'm not sure where that shows they are well ahead of the Eagles in that regard.
  • No one is dancing around anything. We screwed up and we're correcting it. End of story. I can't be more direct than that.
  • Wait did you seriously say that Al Davis was the driving force behind the Palmer trade...

Yea I get that he may have originally inquired about his availability, but the guy had throat surgery days before his death plus heart muscle disease.

So you're saying a guy who had his throat cut open said give up a 1st and 2nd for Palmer and it took 10 days after he died to happen? If I were you I'd put that on the people in control of things after he passed wanting to turn things around too much as a way to pay homage.
  • The Raiders had been trying to get Palmer since the summer of 2011 (look it up). AL DAVIS didn't give any of his recent coaches GM powers, and the Raiders didn't do a GM until they hired Reggie McKenzie last year. Sooooooo who do ya think made player personnel calls for the franchise?

Don't worry, I'll wait.
  • Well if the deal happened 10 days after Davis passed then i'm not all that sure but clearly it wasn't Davis finalizing the paperwork...
  • No it wasn't but AL DAVIS wanted to upgrade from Jason Campbell (so did I, which is why I was willing to overlook Palmer being a problem in Cincy. Actually to be fair though Mike Brown was also behaving like a smacked a**).

AL got the ball rolling and a number of hurdles were worked out. (Look up the trade, it took months to work through the baggage to make it happen. If we let Palmer off the hook we'd probably still be starting Campbell. That the staff completed the trade (after they probably spent months and many long hours working it) isn't at all bizarre.

Regardless, we missed. Now we've moved on.

As of today we're missing what? A 2nd round pick and a 5th? Provided we get a CB, S and RB, we have more than enough picks to grab some more youth. Besides, the second round of FA is coming and veterans who've been floating around since March may be a bit cheaper. So I'm not crying over picks we won't get back.

Moving on.
  • 15 days. The guy couldn't even keep it together for 3 weeks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162232/article/ravens-rolando-mcclain-arrested-for-disorderly-conduct

Hey Ravens, ENJOY!!!!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Angels ace carted off with injury

Lester unlikely to return to Boston

Steelers RBs arrested together

Report: Suns looking to trade Eric Bledsoe

No evidence of cancer in Jim Kelly

Best gift ever given for a jersey number?

Kent State center dies unexpectedly

Ref avoided doing Redskins games due to team name

Schilling: Tobacco caused mouth cancer

Most indispensables college players

WATCH: Bryan Cox's sex revelation

Ex-NFL LB diagnosed with ALS

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.