April 02, 2013

MAKING SMART MOVES.

SEEMS the pros are lauding my Raiders for the way they managed their QB trade situation this week. Better still, nobody is laughing at the cards either. Seems that both teams made out pretty well in the eyes of the pros.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156655/article/dont-knock-oakland-raiders-for-carson-palmer-trade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156329/article/seahawks-trade-matt-flynn-to-oakland-raiders

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1588585-grading-matt-flynn-trade-to-oakland-raiders

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21995999/raiders-trade-carson-palmer-to-cardinals-for-seventh-round-pick

Changing the culture.

21 Comments:
  • One more thing about the Palmer trade:

Details of the trade:
    From the Raiders, Arizona receives Palmer and a seventh-round 2013 selection (219th overall, a pick initially acquired by Oakland from Carolina for WR Louis Murphy in July).

From the Cardinals, Oakland receives a sixth-round selection in this month’s draft (176th overall, initially obtained by Arizona from Tennessee, through Minnesota), as well as a conditional 2014 Arizona draft choice.

By swapping sixth- and seventh-round choices, Oakland moves up 43 selections, and depending on the conditions, may have replaced the choice the Raiders lost Monday to the Seahawks for Matt Flynn.

MOVING UP 43 spots? 43? Come on guys...don't back frontin'! Give up the props.
  • And after Palmer starts 13 games the Cards will send over a 2014 7th round pick. So they swap their 2013 7th for a 2014 7th which is a wash in my mind. After that you basically traded Palmer for a 6th.

I get that Palmer was bad for the team and you had to get rid of him. I get that there wasn't a market for him and you took what you could get. I don't get why you are trying to hype this up as an amazing trade.

The amazing trade that everyone will remember about Carson is when Oakland gave up a 1st and 2nd for a guy who was retired. And honestly I think Palmer has the better chance to do be better in Arizona vs. Flynn in Oakland. At least Palmer has Fitzgerald to throw to. Who is Flynn gonna throw to? assuming he wins the starting job...
  • You JUST said there wasn't a market for him. We were on the verge of releasing a malcontent and instead we got something FOR him.

Look, I complained when the Eagles just let Keith Jackson walk for nothing. I complained when the Eagles just let Trotter walk for nothing (the first time.) I complained when the Eagles just let T.O. walk for nothing.

Here in Philly the team itself has the sick habit of driving down the market value of malcontents until we can't trade them at all. Teams just wait for the release, and we get stuck holding the bag.

Oakland INVENTED a market for Palmer. Arizona was talking up Drew Stanton hot n heavy. Then when we offered Palmer, they shoved Stanton in the closet, grabbed a breath mint, put Palmer on a plane, and took him out to dinner.

We moved up 43 spots for a guy who by EVERY account just a week prior, was going in the trash heap. That makes that trade worth some praise for ANY team. Considering our track record in AL DAVIS'S last couple years, surely you can understand why a fan would be elated.

The Raiders have the highest winning percentage of ANY NFL team since 1963, but in too many ways it seemed like we were also philosophically trapped in 1963.

In the last decade when we won games, we won with VDOP, but that ingredient isn't always available. Seriously, how often does a team simultaneously feature TWO HOF WR's as it's starters? It just doesn't happen. Unless you're a Raider. Marcus Allen AND Bo Jackson at the same time? Who but us could bench a HOFer and NOT hurt for it? Re-tread QB's who win Super Bowls? We WROTE that book! How many NFL gameday rules were instituted SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF the Raiders? (Locker rooms, practice fields, sideline equipment, that's all us.)

We did a lot of great things IN THE PAST. We used to be innovators. But then we stopped. HE stopped. Now HE'S gone. Now all the ideas HE suppressed or ignored (and then some) are up for a look. Now the Raiders get to be something we haven't been since before I was born.

We get to be reinvented.

My hope is that the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers are clinging as tightly to our past as you are. This week has signaled a massive shift in the thinking of our franchise. I look forward to facing anybody still stuck in our past.
  • Sorry i flagged ur post on the other thread by accident. But i'm looking at it from a personal standpoint. you made it seem like you're going to be able to make TONS of moves that will upgrade your roster a TON.
  • No. We moved up 43 spaces by swapping picks. It's just the one pick. That leaves us with the same number, which is why I said it was "free", not at a "profit" pick-wise. I DO think it was at a profit ATTITUDE-wise, and attitude goes a long way in any aspect of life.

I am also very pleased with our FA acquisitions, although like the Eagles I believe the Raiders need a SPLASH guy or two. (Though Tracy Porter WAS a boon.)

The difference between the Eagles and the Raiders, is that Amy Trask was part of a FO that liked splash players, but due to AL DAVIS we were hit and miss with them. Reggie McKenzie also likes splash players and has a pretty good track record on picking them both in the Draft and FA, as we saw in GB. So I KNOW that that guy IS coming.

The Eagles on the other hand have been making the rounds lamenting a few (and that's really all it was) misses over the last 2 years. They've resorted to this Swiss army knife type roster, and it has a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of none type feel to it so far. Kelly came here saying he'd coach based on his roster, but so far it seems like he's shoehorning guys into places, instead of getting a bonafide Ace in places. (Though Sopoaga and Cary Williams WERE great signings.)
  • It just seemed like you were making these QB trades that Oakland has done WAAAAAAAY more then it actually is. I get that you like the changes that their front office is making to the landscape of the team. Don't make it seem like the Raiders made huge steals though. Yea they got rid of a guy with a bad attitude and got a guy that might have potential but this is kind of a business as usual trade.

These two trades weren't all that special. Saying that they moved up 43 spots is nice but it's still a 6th round pick the changes that whoever they get actually makes an impact is slim. The best thing that came out of this was getting rid of Palmer but they didn't get much in return. If you think that any other GM in the league couldn't have pulled of the same exact trades then your in denial. This wasn't some brilliant move that make the Raiders roster a TON better. They basically removed a distraction.

I know it wasn't this staff that made the initial trade to get Palmer but the organization still has to take into consideration what they had given up to get him. At the end of the day the Palmer experiment was a huge bust and they virtually recouped nothing for what they gave up.
  • We recouped PLENTY for what we gave up. We got an 8-16 record under Palmer, including 4-12 last season. That's PLENTY of losses.

You make a mistake, you fix it. Simple.
  • How is a 6th and swapping 7ths recouping plenty for giving up a 1st and a 2nd. i get he didn't work out but stop trying to make this like the raiders came out ahead.
  • Silly boy! Did you come on here to argue with me without even reading the post first or checking on the material?

According to everyone but you, and EZ, the Raiders DID make out pretty well. Just click the links in the post. There are 4 of them I provided at the top of the page.

If you wish to seek out more, to keep me honest feel free! I'd LOVE to see a legit counter-argument of the Raiders getting hosed.
  • ill still let the coaches decide who goes where?
  • I hope the Raiders make another "smart move" and trade Pryor to the Eagles for a conditional 7th round pick. LOL
  • Won't happen. The Eagles are looking at spending the 4th overall on Geno Smith.
  • with everyone picking up QBs idk if the eagles need to take him with 4 most of the "qb needy" teams have gotten someone to fill the that slot. I wouldnt be surprised if he fell to mid to late 1st round at this point and someone then traded up to get him
  • They went to a private workout for him where they even took Lurie along, and he's here today talking with them.

At 4 there are only 3 teams the Eagles could pressure into taking Smith so they can get someone else. The Chiefs have their man; the Jags have Gabbert who showed dramatic improvement in a year with no weapons; and the Raiders are splitting reps between Pryor and Flynn, so drafting a QB 3rd to have no shot at starting is out.

Basically if the Jags don't grab Geno Smith, I fear that the Eagles will.

Personally I don't get the gamesmanship if they don't take him. There are already 5 QB's on the roster in a reported 3-way race for the top job already.
  • See I get them doing their due diligence because I think they realize that they are the last REAL option for someone taking him early in the 1st.

But with everyone else who needed a QB seeming getting an answer so far I wouldn't take him with the 4th. Grab a more solid player then if they do really like him wait till he drops and then trade up for him then.

Like you said the Chiefs have their guy, the Jags seem to be committed to Gabbert, Raiders just got Flynn and already have Pryor, Bills got Kolb, Cards got Palmer and Stanton, Browns seem to like Weeden, Vikings have been committed to Ponder, Cowboys need a new QB but love Romo, most everyone else already has a solid QB except the Jets who are too invested in Sanchez.

I think teams realized that this draft class was weak on QBs and teams are setting themselves up to not have to reach. Maybe everyone is just trying to hype him up and no one is buying into it if that's the case he could fall like when Brady Quinn was over hyped but ended up falling to 22.
  • I can see the Bills and Jets making a play for him if he's there.

The Bills are a Kolb-cussion away from not having a QB; and Jets fans are tired of shelling out their green and getting a Dirty Sanchez in return.
  • Bills i could see... Jets shouldn't want another QB controversy (then again it is the Jets). Either way they'd still be on the hook for that Sanchez deal they did and I don't think there is another team in the league that would trade for him and pick up that contract.
  • I guess in the world of the Raiders trading away first round picks like they are Tonka Toys, and getting back players who can't beat out rookies is "winning" then I guess they should be happy. That kind of "winning" would make even Charlie Sheen shake his head.
  • Traded down and grabbed a 2nd rounder and an excellent cover CB on the field who has MORE THAN proven his inner toughness off of it. So much for giving away picks like Tonka toys.

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

What your stadium food choice says about you

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Hockey fights of the year

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Five-round NFL mock draft

NHL v. NBA playoffs comparison chart

Gallery: Dancers of the NBA playoffs

10 GIFs that sum up the Mike Woodson era in NYC

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

10 best scenes from baseball movies

Gallery: The best of Elaine Alden

This week in MLB replay reviews

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.