March 12, 2014

MALCOLM IS NO SAINT

YESTERDAY we got a pretty good FS, but a lot of fans seem pissed off by the signing. I think that has a lot to do with the idea that fans don’t know him as well, so I wrote an article talking about him a little.

While he’s not a flashy stats guy, he also played on a defense that could make noise in the post-season. For all of Byrd’s hype he was a good player, on a bad team, in a weak division. I don’t think we did bad at all.

3 Comments:
  • I think three of our problems on defense last season were poor tackling, a lack of pressure, and not enough turnovers. We signed a safety who is a poor tackler, and who doesn't get turnovers. Overall it would have been nice to see them fold their hands and do nothing afterwards. I fail to see how this move makes us that much better, and when you consider the fact they could have had Jenkins and Ward for a little more than Byrd money it kind of pisses me off.
  • I get where you're coming from. I had it in my head that the smart move would be to sign a pair of Safeties, but Jenkins and "a Special Teams ace" were not what I had in mind.

We did pretty well with turnovers last year as we ranked 3rd in the NFL there. (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/DaviBi0.htm )with almost no thanks going to the Safeties.

I'm wondering how Jenkins will fit into this scheme since he's not being paired with an aggressor. Jenkins style is not a gambling one. Like I said on my site, he plays like he understands that he's the last line of defense.

I'm wondering if Bill Davis will try to get Jenkins to take more chances, or if the Eagles are going to draft an aggressive rookie and use Jenkins as the eraser of mistakes, in the style of Quintin Mikell.

Q in single-high allowed Dawk to play in the box. Neither Safety was a pick machine, but the unit was solid and caused havoc. If Davis could pull that off we might one day mention him in the same breath as Bud Carson and JJ.

That would mean I was wrong about Davis, but I'd happily eat those words while raising my glass to toast the SOB.

• The Jenkins signing awesome!!!and the other moves--big linebacker's Houston Texans---should have a super bowl ring---draft all those excellent players---in philly----tip your hat to gm in Houston---just b dawkins come down in the box, and make plays and blitz--with earl wolff and Jenkins---GET DOWN AND GET YOUR EAGLE ON BOOM!!!CODE NAME EAGLE BOOM---roseman getting job done!!!!again chip Kelly and Howie Roseman will deliver super bowl to philly---The offense can attack air and ground,pick your poison---SALUTE TO FRONT OFFICE!!
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Tigers acquire David Price in blockbuster

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Rice: ‘Actions were totally inexcusable’

Dez upset over teammate's deal?

Johnson pulled out of tourney to hang with Paulina?

WWE star to be play big Star Wars role?

MLB pitcher charged with sexual assault

Breaking down the NL MVP race

Gallery: The best of July

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.