May 11, 2013

Managing my expectations. But! I'm excited about Matt Barkley

I'm not crowning the kid but everything that has happened with him to to this point has me feeling that tingle in my stomach that this kid might just be special after all! First off I being a student of the game put no stock in his draft status. Reason being that the kid woulda been a first rounder last year in a much much MUCH better draft class last year. But after a sub par year in which he chose loyalty over a pay check, the kid got beat the heck out of behind a sub par oline and with no real legit talent around him he was stool extremely good with the exception of turnovers. But what says more to me is the fact that Chip who coached against him, and probably knows more about him then anyone other then his own coaches, had the knowledge to say I want him says a lot ALOT about how highly he thinks of him by trading up to get him. The second part is this kid is stocked to be on a team that wanted him and made it clear by coming up to get him and is showing despite his wealthy upbringing that he is willing to put in the blue collar work we all expect in Philly. Now the elder statsmen on here know I have not liked any USC QBS I thought Palmer was soft and would need to be heavily protected to function or he'd be a turnover machine, and I was right, I thought Leinert was a product of a truly incrediable team and coaching staff (let us not forget before there was Sabans Alabama there was Pete's Trogans) no one expected much from Botty and ill be the first to admit I was wrong about Sanchez but then again so was everyone else and I maintain that if he'd gone somwhere under a true OC that would nurture and in courage his brand of football on the highly talented kid he would hav been far more productive (and again let's not forget after 2 seasons an 2 AFC Championship games most ppl had hopes for Sanchez (but then again what a difference 2 years makes)) so back to Barkley is he a product of the Pete Carrol Trogans well no obviously Pete left after his Freshman year so he's different never playing with half the level of talent of any of the latter Trogans yet he was a winner and a year ago he was a considerd a first round talent but frankly I like him better now then I did then because now we know what he's made of a kid who is loyal (maybe to a fault) to those that are loyal to him, he got his @ss kicked and came back week after week with the heart of a champion, and now he's saying everything right and doing everything right. In my opinion sky's the limit and I'm excited for preseason to see what he's got. Prediction: we see Vick play well for a season and a half (Nicky who I still think is (or could be rather) the next Rodgers) traded or just cut) and in 3 years Matt Barkley will be our starter!

18 Comments:
  • I can't feel over excited for a 4th round pick, but I like the fact he plans to come to compete. If he out plays the other guys then more power to him. I hope he does well.
  • People like the intangibles about Barkley. But the fact remains he dropped fro a reason. Im not getting caught up in some Bobby Hoying type hype. Produce!
  • I think that's a key word for everyone on the team and the coach. PRODUCE!
  • He seems like a cerebral player on film but in the NFL if you dont have an arm or the premier weapons you cant do squat.
  • Tell that to Joe Montana. By the way there has been plenty of big armed guys in the NFL that didn't do squat. That gem of a pick by the crap Raiders Russel is one. Crying Leaf is another just off the top of my head. I'll take smart and accurate over big armed and stupid. All that matters is winning. I could careless who is causing the winning as long as we are winning.
  • I had a feeling you would bring Montana up. Im not sure I would classify his arm as better than average but his weapons may have been the best ever assembled.
  • Chap Pennington also had success with a less than average arm. Barkley doesn't have a "big arm", but he can "make all the throws." Again it doesn't matter how big your arm is if you are routinely throwing into triple coverage.
  • He seems to have great leadership qualities and appears superbly disciplined on tape. I can see why before his final season he was highly touted. Look I hope he is the guy. Im starting to have some worries with Vick. Im not sure if hes lost his quicknes or what but he looks kind of lethargic. Punch drunk? Maybe the hits have caught up to him.
  • If Vick turns out to be the guy that's fine as long
    as he steps up and earns it. I hear Vick has real
    zip on the ball compared to Barkley, but when Barkley
    wasn't screwing up "making rookie mistakes" I hear he
    showing off his accuracy big time. If the Eagles are going to go with Barkley I think they will eventually have to draft a big WR for him. They got him a TE, but now he needs a guy he knows that if he tosses it up to him he will bring it down.
  • On a side note did you see McClain retired? I guess
    Ozzie doesn't always get it right either.
  • hey check out birdflippers blog???? and who's that Kellyscott??? Me
    of course he cut me off why??? I have opinions and he don't like it....hardy haw haw
  • I thought you were leaving? Changed your mind?
  • no its fun being a jerk like a great % here
  • People who have been here a while are used to a certain kind of "jerk." Many people left cause of him. Of course he was many of those people himself.
  • my thought was a bit tongue and cheek , however Im still waiting to see how Chip kelly will do as a NFL head coach!
  • You and the rest of us are.
  • will succeed as a coach, Or be one of the many ex college coaches who go down like the titanic .
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Switch pitcher could see action in MLB

Power ranking every NFL stadium

Astros fire manager Bo Porter

Who is up next for Ronda Rousey?

Gronk: 'I'm ready to go' for Week 1

Verlander, Upton nude photos hacked

Blue Jays give Jeter unique farewell gift

Photos: D-Wade and Gabby tie the knot

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.