August 15, 2013

Maybe This Team Needs A Guy Like Williams.

Carey Williams is in no way an elite corner back, but for some reason with him out there, this defense played much better tonight. They made tackles, got some tackles for loss, and even made a few gang tackles. The defense like Williams seemed plucky tonight. Now I understand that it was the Carolina Panthers, and it was just one game and preseason game no less, but it was good to see players make tackles. Brandon Boykin had a solid game as a cover guy and he had a nice return. It felt good to see guys going out there and putting some hats on the running backs, and holding the Panthers to less than a hundred total rushing yards with only a three yards per carry average. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that guys upped their game after they were challenges by one of their teammates, maybe the coaches really dug into them, or maybe their pride made the step up. Or maybe the Panthers just suck. Whatever the reason this was a good start for the defense.  Let's hope they can continue this momentum and maybe start making some interceptions. One could only hope right?

8 Comments:
  • The defense played better but Im concerned about the d-line. I think Fletcher, Williams and Chung showed up again and set the tone. Even Allen played a little better. They need to keep that tempo. I liked the McCoy touchdown run showed a little misdirection. it was a clever play. So far I like that the Eagles arent committing penalties in batches. The execution has been seemless even though its being kept simple. A better performance overall but its preseason.
  • I pretty much agree with you here. I liked what I saw, but I am not getting overly excited for a preseason game. I tell you one thing that Barbe guy is really looking nice standing in for Peters. The offensive line as a whole looks good. Lane got beat last night for a sack, but for the most part this line is playing extremely well so far.
  • Did u watch the game? The secondary was horrible.
  • I thought Boykins played well, and I thought Chung played well against the run.
  • I thought Williams played a little soft honestly (although he went after Smith after he tossed him to the ground and had every right to). It seems like the secondary was a step behind most of the night and made the tackles instead of knocking balls away (Boykin had a play or two but missed a pick on an errant throw by Newton). They did at least make the tackles though...that may be a step in the right direction.
  • I think they were hitting and that's the main thing. But they aren't the premier cover guys in the league but they were a lot better positioned than the first preseason. Im still concerned Allen is getting to the ball late. He doesn't seem to be able to read the plays developing.
  • It may be time to move on from Allen...this year is obviously his last chance and he has run out of excuses. I'm hoping he pulls it together but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Eazy, yes there was improvement and this year that's all we can hope for each week.
  • I guess for me that's what I wanted to see most. Make the tackle even if you give up the catch. In my opinion compared to last week this defense was ten times better. It's not like Cam or the rest of the quarterbacks were lights out last night either. The front seven got pressure and there were fewer missed tackles. They didn't get pushed around like they did from the Patriots. Granted the Panthers aren't close to the Patriots, but I felt encouraged by the improvement.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Broncos fans really dislike Phil Simms

Chris Davis helps flip truck on highway

How long will Dennis Allen last?

Papelbon gets seven-game suspension

WATCH: Student has incredible dunk fail

WATCH: Tebow makes 'GMA' debut

Kaepernick on language flag: ‘I didn’t say anything’

RG3: MRI results positive, no fracture

Adrian Peterson to play in Week 3

Five QBs who should be benched

NFL Week 2 statistical tailgate

NFL admits refs erred on Harvin TD

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.