June 25, 2013

Mike Vick Fumbles.... Again...

Now it seems that Mike is backtracking. Even though it has been days since Mike Vick ranted like a crybaby over having to actually work hard to be named the starter apparently he's finally decided to come out on how Chip had called him after he made his stupid comments. Here the guys says he wasn't expecting a big blow up over how he basically undermined the authority of his head coach? He had a chance to retract and then he demanded the story be printed! NOW he's saying Kelly's word is unquestioned. Sorry Mike too little too late. I guess he didn't have as many followers in his branch of division makers as he thought. I hope Mike doesn't feel too bad if he has a hard time finding a job after being cut in the final week of the preseason. Mike can only hope Chip Kelly isn't that vindictive.

36 Comments:
  • Vick needs to just shut up and play. Maybe he gets that throwing his weight around against his head coach isn't going to work and now thinks he has to kiss some ass. I'm sure Kelly is smarter than that.
  • It's a shame he's so bad at eating crow. Everything he said was too late and too weak to matter. Like I told people before this wont go away even if Kelly chose a quarterback tomorrow. In fact it would only get worse. Kelly is right to stick to his guns on this one. This isn't even as shrouded as it's being made out to be. Kelly said he wants to see them get hit. Clearly that means preseason. I was watching Herm Edwards (coach and Marcellus Wiley (player on ESPN a few weeks back and they basically said that the new head coaches don't need to actually make a decision on a quarterback until the third preseason game. That's when the season prep begins. That's when the first team gets to run for 3 quarters. So basically by the start of week 3 of the preseason we will likely know who the starter will be. It's sad, because the oldest guy in this bunch of quarterbacks is seemingly the most immature.
  • Dawkins has also gone on record saying Kelly has every right to wait and should...what is the hurry THIS year? Where are they going? Kelly should pick a QB when he is ready and if he changes his mind at some point during the season he ought to pull the trigger again. It's his first freakin' year with a crew of QBs that haven't taken the NFL by storm...no reason to rush the decision at all.
  • McCoy has also stated that its up to the coach, and wisely pulled himself out of the conversation. Jackson and Vick seem to be the only guys with an issue, and not that Vick backtracked he's left Jackson on the island. The funny thing is the guy who is getting the most traction out of this thing is Matt Barkley. He just won't stop talking! I sure hope his on the field game is as big as his confidence is.
  • Maclin and Mathis (pretty sure it was Mathis) have both said the same thing. Vick and Jackson seem to be the only two left and a reporter (forget who) made a great point when Jackson was whining. Right after Jackson made the comment a second time he said that Vick and Foles were neck to neck in the race and he would be fine with either. Why the hell would Jackson be pushing to have a QB named right now when there is no clear winner in his eyes? Makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • I saw some silly video on the Eagles website with Jackson and some guy in a car. The guy
    asked Jackson about the QB situation and he basically refused to answer the question. I think
    Jackson wants it to be his boy Vick, maybe most of the core players, and that's exactly why
    if it isn't Vick, then he must be released. It would cause too many problems in the locker room
    with Vick on the sidelines. There is only two options for Vick here. Starter or gone.
  • I wouldn't mind at all. I think the 76ers are starting to get that sometimes you need to take a step back to take that big leap forward with the moves they made last night. If they are bad this year they get a shot at Wiggins next year. Even if the Eagles struggle at QB this year it wouldn't
    be the end of the world for Kelly
    or the Eagles if it means they get
    a shot at one of the top QBs in
    next year's draft.
  • Of course they can't tell the fans they are "tanking the season," but as a fan of the
    Eagles I would rather they focus on the future rather than try and rekindle a spark
    that's been missing for over two seasons now.
  • your right green
  • Vick gives us the best chance to do what exactly? He's 33 and couldn't make it through a full season if his life depended on it. Let's not forget the 36 turnovers in the last 23 games. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again for the record. Time to move on. Throw Foles in the deep end and see if he sinks or swims. If he's unfit, let's find out if Barkley is Carson Palmer (pre-ACL tear) or Matt Leinart. If neither of them can play, you're almost guaranteed a top 5 pick with a MUCH stronger QB class coming out next season. Holding on to Vick does absolutely nothing in helping this team progress into the future.

Keeping him under center is wasting another year just like Lurie did when he kept Reid around.
  • I can't argue against that logic. If Vick had been lights out during the mini-camps and by far the best player on the field then it wouldn't have mattered. He would have gotten the job. he wasn't and he was frustrated. He took his frustrations out by undermining his coach. He's created this distraction, because of his own lack of confidence.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I don't mean not to cut Vick, rather to cut Mike so close to the start of the season that he can't possibly get a new job. Mike knew what he was getting into. He could have told them to pound sand just like Nnamdi told them. He chose to stay and deal with the terms Chip Kelly gave him. He can only blame himself for being in this situation.
  • And this is news...why? He's a turnover machine.
  • Which is why most of us want him gone.
  • I think there is a little too much talk in Philly. This is hype machine at work. All this means nothing until you put a product on the field. He has professional athletes on his squad. At a minimum they should be respectable by playing hard and trying to win. Any talk of tanking is counter-productive to a winning culture. It would be like me saying go sell twinkies instead of tastykake even though we know people buy more tastykake. Does that teach winning?
  • Ask the Colts. They did that very thing to get their quarterback. The Redskins did the something to get RG3. Both teams went to the playoffs afterwards. What do you think a 7-9 season accomplishes for the Eagles?
  • Talk amongst the fans about tanking is counter productive? You don't get how this thing called football works, do you? Teams move on from players for many reasons and Vick has given the Eagles many reasons to do just that but Kelly is giving him a chance. That certainly doesn't mean that Vick should have the reins handed to him simply because he can run and was once thought of as an elite talent by many.
  • Im not talking Vick . Im talking about "tanking". I dont understand that logic. It takes losing to win? Losing can become contagious. Its like a crutch and the eagles are strting to use that crutch.
  • There is no proof to this point that Foles or Barkley can't get it done. This team with a legit QB is a playoff team. In other words its not tanking if they are legit. With that being the case Vick is nothing more than a bridge to mediocrity. The Eagles aren't. Better with him. You know that. That's why you didn't answer my question.
  • Put the best QB out there and try to win. Period. No tests. Thats what preseason and camp are for.
  • Well I certainly believe they will try and win regardless, but answer the question. What's better for the team 7-9 under Vick going nowhere or 7-9 under Barkley or Foles and seeing there is potential there for one of them to be great. Don't dance around the question. Show some guts and actually answer the question.
  • I'm not sure that it HAS to be asked. As fans just chewing the fat it's one thing, but as far as being having any actual philosophical merit, it's quite another.

The TWO major problems with that question, is that it surmises that are ONLY two possible outcomes; and that somehow either version is vastly different from the other, when in truth they are nearly identical.
  • In other words you're too scared to answer the question, because it places your love interest in a bad light.
  • Noted.

• 7-9 under Barkley or Foles would show improvement to a team that had many struggles under their former head coach while giving hope to the fans that one of the young QBs may have some game in him. 7 wins in Foles 2nd year or Barkley's 1st would have to open up some eyes and give hope that either young QB will improve along the way. 7 wins in Vick's 5th year with the Eagles is just another blah season while fans wait for him to end up injured which is what we are used to...why bother?
  • A smart coach can evaluate. If after training camp & preseason Barkley could demonstrate that he can be the best QB I have no problem with inserting him in as a starter. But, if you look at Foles vs Vick last year I dont think you can say that Foles beat Vick out. Foles was average backup QB. I didnt even think he has starter potential. Just my opinion.
  • If you look at Foles verses Vick you find that you had a guy with far less talent around him than Vick had post similar numbers to Vick as a rookie. Don't be blinded by the fact you have a Vick filled agenda.
  • That's exactly it isn't it? For the Vick lovers who argue "what the hell did Foles do" the answer is easy. He did just a little bit better than Vick in his ROOKIE year and with a little less talent around him.
  • He had a better record than Vick?
  • Stats were better and when discussing a rookie against a 10 year vet I'll take that. If Brown hadn't fumbled twice against the Panthers and if the Eagles newly signed TE could have held onto the ball against the Redskins Foles may have ended the season with a 3-3 record (the Eagles had the ball on the 5 yard line at the end of a 27-20 game...Foles helped drive them to a possible tie and threw a perfect ball that fell through his TE's hands while crossing the goal line). Most fans will look at that as possibilities when discussing a rookie while you try to figure out how you can turn it into why Vick should be starting this year.
  • The truth is no one can give an honest reason/excuse to why the Eagles failed last season with Vick at the helm and not expose the fact with less talent Foles played better. It only stands to reason that if Foles had the same talent that Vick had in the beginning of the season he could have possibly outperformed him during the season. That's what people are failing to realize. That's why you are confused why this is an open competition. It's why it's closer than any of you realize. Nick Foles right now as a second year player is a better decision making quarterback than Mike Vick.
  • I'm hoping that it's enough, Eazy. One thing Foles may have going for him is that he opened some eyes during the preseason games last year while Vick looked bad in his few snaps (like usual) and got injured. If the same thing happens this year (with or without the injury) the competition should be over quickly.
  • Now why wouldn't a guy who has basically looked terrible in both the preseason and regular season the past two seasons demand a starter be named prior to that happening? Why would anyone with half of a brain think that the coach should comply with him?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

10 injuries that could impact MLB playoffs

T-Wolves announce Kevin Love deal with newspaper ad

Final Team USA Basketball roster

HS coach receives racist letter

Report: Machado's season over

Players who'll decide the national title

NFL cheerleader Instagram accounts

Olympian walking again after accident

WATCH: Bucs rookie involved in brawl

Potentially crippling NFL injuries

Manziel fined $12K for middle finger

10 worst owners in all of sports

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.