November 29, 2012

MOVING FORWARD!!!!!!!

SOOO..... Now that the season has been a complete failure and we are almost guaranteed to get a top 5 pick in the draft. What position are we looking to draft? I know the O-line is terrible and we need to get healthy and help there, but i for one hate seeing line men drafted in the 1st round. I know they are important but boring picks. Hear me out on this one. Maybe Foles is not the future of Philly. How bout we take our top 5 pick and select a franchise QB. Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, the qbs from Kstate or georgia. We can build the line with veterans. We can start by bringing Jamal Jackson back. That is all

41 Comments:
  • I've done ZERO homework on the college players coming into this years NFL draft. Last year I literally guessed 4 out of 5 of the Eagles first picks (outside of QB Foles b/c who saw that coming???). Anyway... eventually I'll put some time in it but as of right now I think our biggest concern is the OL (even though the defense has been atrocious most of the year).

Given the injury concern to LT Jason Peters, it's only natural to think that the Eagles will select the best LT on the board given their pick. Here is the very first mock draft I read (literally 5 minutes ago)

http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-mock-draft/

Apparently they believe the Eagles at #4 overall (ouch) will select LT Luke Joeckel out of Texas A&M.

While the OL pick is considered "boring" by most, remember that all the successful teams in the NFL have dominating OL's. If you don't have time to throw the ball (more sacks/hurried passes that lead to ints/no running lanes for our outstanding RB's) then we are in major trouble on offense. Every offensive lineman coming off of IR (Peters, Herremans, and Kelce) will be a question mark going into next years training camp. Hopefully the Eagles hit a home run with the OT pick because Watkins has been a bust so far. While the pick is "boring" from an excitement level of the draft. I'd trade the whole anticipation of the draft for 10 years of solid/outstanding performance by an OL any day of the week.

From what I've gathered, NO QB coming out in next years draft is worth an early pick. The Eagles are better off with developing Foles than gambling on a QB prospect who has a limited ceiling. If we can't grab a top tier LT I'm "all in" on Notre Dame's LB Manti Te’o. We shall see..

• An offensive tackle would be a great pick! This team needs line help. They could move the young guy to RT until he's ready to take over for Peters. They could then move Herremans back inside where he frankly played better. Mathis could move to RG and that line already is better than any we had since 2010.
  • its also possible that Watkins is a victim of circumstance. He doesn't look as though he fits mudds thin small and fast scheme. I hope that our next coach is someone like Juan! Get some big body oline guys that will beat the defense down!!
  • I agree. he's a natural playmaker and would be an instant upgrade over either of the starters now. (seems like thats been said all too often) I really like him, Elam from florida and TJ Mcdonald from USC.
  • Unless we can find an all out beast at OL i just hate the gamble. Look at Danny Watkins and he was like the 23rd pick in the 1st round. I would rather build the line off of solid veteran players. me personally
  • What has this season turned into? 5 weeks left and we have an article on who the Eagles should draft? Lots of needs still left on this team and even top 5 picks that are looked on as locks become busts at times. I just hope whoever the Eagles draft is a player. Geno Smith is putting up monster numbers at West Virginia for the second year in a row. Great arm and can run, very intruiging and looks like a lock at #1 in most mocks right now. As poor as Barkley's play supposedly is this year, I still see him in the top 10 in some mocks but a tackle who can slip over to the left side if Peters isn't ready and could take over for him in a couple years is a must. Should be an interesting year.
  • Peters should be ready by the start of next season. He would have had that full season plus the whole offseason to get healthy. Maybe we should trade away everything and the kitchen sink to get Geno, the Redskins did it for RG3 and so far so good
  • Peters should be ready but there are no guarantees when coming back from an achilles, especially with a man his size. I typed earlier that I would like to see the Eagles trade up next year to get that QB but the Eagles have many holes to fill. Besides, there may be a team or two ahead of the Eagles who need a QB also. The Rams traded with the Redskins because they already had their quarterback, the Eagles may not get that lucky.
  • Manti Teo=Junior Seau
  • What about Demeco Ryans? I mean he hasn't been terrible this season. Why draft a player at his position where there are so many other glaring holes on the team?
  • Move one of them to the outside. I don't see how we can pass on his leadership and play making ability. It'd be nice to have a player like that to build the defense around.
  • Ryans on the outside is a no. Manti can't be Junior playing on the outside. Just seems a little odd to pick a player in a position we have already when there are so many glaring needs on the roster.
  • I agree EZ. I dont think smart fans want to see a complete overhaul. The last one took about 7 years. Ryans is getting healthier and looked pretty good for the most part. Ill throw out a possibility. Its not exciting but it would be interesting. How about a trade with SF for Alex Smith. I havent always been a big fan but he got screwed. I knew Kaeprnick had talent. He reminded me a little bit of cunningham but not as athletic. Either one would be solid in Eagle green
  • Alex Smith doesn't exactly over haul the team, but he isn't an old quarterback either. It depends on how much the Eagles would have to give up to get him. I don't think he's worth higher than a 3rd, but the man was playing at a high level before he got hurt.
  • thats what i was thinking 3rd round. he has some talent around him buthe has the pedigree.
  • I don't think Alex Smith would be a bad pick up at all as long as he doesn't cost them too much.
  • I've read a lot about Te'o and from what i've seen he can play any LB spot in a 4-3. He'd look great at SAM because he's bigger and stronger than Kendricks yet can still cover. And like you said there are a lot of holes on the squad. A bunch of them on the defense. It would be great to have a legit centerpiece to build around for the next 10 years on that side of the ball.
  • So could a future left tackle. Everyone wants to blame the offensive line for this season and for the most part they are right. That's why I think they should draft a tackle and when Peters isn't good enough anymore move the kid to Left Tackle in a few seasons.
  • Foles for 2 years? I cant agree. It takes to long for football to come around and i cant live with another season like this year. We gotta get better and get better fast.
  • You are gonna live and bear it. Im starting to think nothing will change . Why is that? because nothing ever does.
  • Nothing ever changes? So, the Eagles under this regime just keep limping through bad seasons in your head? What's going on in that head of yours, hollywood?
  • Thye will be limping with Foles
  • I like Manti Teo but all though very unlikely i would like Geno Smith
  • Do you think he could go first to the Chiefs? A lot of the Mock drafts I saw had him going first.
  • The Eagle clown act isnt over yet. Lets see where the comedy troup goes before we speculate on draft picks.
  • I honestly have not heard a lot of praise for the QBS in this draft class!! Its kinda scary cause it could be very well the pick the eagles make. Personally, I think going. LT type pick is the most logical choice here. If anything maybe Jason peters comes back and you can put the LT on the right side and move herramans back in. Makes for a very strong oline for when we get those guys back from injury.

that said, we do need skill players too! Preferably a top TE or Safety would make me happy
  • I also think they could use a big physical wide receiver.
  • All this line shuffling leaves Danny Watkins out of the rotation. Y draft another OL to sit on the bench next to him. We need a solid line from left to right, are we gonna use our first 5 picks on OL....I hope not. There are guys in the league already that we can sign. If we get rid of howard mudd and his faster smaller linemen scheme and we will be good. Oh and bring Jamal Jackson and put King Dunlap in the middle of the DL at 6'9 300 plus he has to be good at something, cuz it sure aint blocking.
  • Danny Watkins isn't very good. Let him compete with Mathis for the RG spot. Loser gets benched or cut.
  • I just wish we were this bad last year, then we could've had the chance to draft RG III or Luck. But Noooo. They had to screw that up too. This is a bad year to suck at QB.

Believe it or not. I'd be okay sucking for the next few years if it meant Johnny Football fell into our lap. I'd be willing to tank like the Pittsburgh Penguins did to get the chance to draft Sidney Crosby if we have to. We've never had that once in a generation talent on the Eagles. We deserve one and are long overdue for it.
  • i think the same think about manziel. build a good o line and strengthen the defense. There are no qbs in the draft that i see that would be great nfl qbs, some decent ones out there. I also wouldnt mind seeing tebow brought in, good stats or not he wins games, and if foles cant get teh job done it wont hurt to try.
  • We were this bad last season, but the Eagles decided it was a good thing to win four meaningless games and tell us how UN-importantly important they were. They set themselves back winning those meaningless games.
  • idea! Pick up this guy Teo with our top pick and then get the best RT in the draft in round 2! Since 1 guy gives you a defense with some edge, is clearly what we need and our Oline will be much better next year under a new system and guys back from injury
  • I think it's time for the Eagles to switch to a 3-4 base defense.

All of the good defenses in the NFL run 3-4. The 4-3 only worked under Jim Johnson. Since he's passed, it's failed to work for us.

Also, it's still possible for the Eagles to land the #1 pick in the draft. Browns and Chiefs both won today. Now only the Jags and Chiefs have worse records than us.

However, it's a pretty weak draft this year. If the Eagles were smart, they would unload their 1st round pick for picks in future drafts.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

MLB managers on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.