December 31, 2012

My 2 cents

Everyone has their opinions on what the Eagles should do so here's mine: 

1. Hire Mike Mccoy... Every QB he's touched has turned to gold. He's doing historic things with Peyton this year but he also made Tim Tebow and Jake Delhomme look competent and they are average at best. You want a guy to develop Foles? Here he is. 

2. Cut Vick, Nnamdi, Allen, Coleman. Possibly more depending on what the coach wants to do. 

3. Free Agency: It's hard to say who will be available here but I say focus on O-line and secondary. I know we will have a bitter taste in our mouths for decades to come because of the great free agent bust migration of 2011 but I think if they target to correct players this time, it will work out. DON'T go for the top name on the market. Go for "depth signings". Remember when Evan Mathis was a depth signing? That seemed to work out. So, a few names that are out there: Andy Levitre, Sebastian Vollmer. As for secondary, same things, bring in low priced, highly motivated guys that will work hard to get on the field, not get paid. The more there are, the better the competition. Derek Cox could be a guy to look at. However, I do expect most of these guys to come from the draft. Which brings us to the next section...

4. Draft Star Lotulolei... Now, there's a good chance he won't be there at #4 and that would make me sad. But I think he's the best player in the draft and if he falls to them they would be foolish to pass up on him. Regardless of who is there, the "best player available" approach should be what they do here. If he's gone it would probably be Joeckel. You can never have enough good O-linemen. I'm haven't quite bought in to the Manti Te'o hype. I think he's a bit overrated. Top 10 worthy? probably.Top 5? Nah. Middle round picks I hope to see at least 4 new secondary pieces, and maybe 2 or 3 offensive linemen to add much needed depth. 

No big or unexpected moves here, but I think this would go a long way in rebuilding this team. Most likely, the key contributors next year will be guys we haven't even heard of yet. 

7 Comments:
  • I think that SOME of next years top contributors will be guys who aren't currently Eagles, specifically at Safety.

They do need depth up front so they won't have to rely on guys like King Dunlap and Dallas Reynolds should an injury wave hit again. That said, I think they'll stand pat with Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Evan Mathis, and Danny Watkins. If he's on next years roster, I can see them demoting Todd Heremanns for whomever they draft to play Offensive Tackle.

I think DRC is gone, 1) because of effort and 2) because since he won't be signed, it's a clean break. (I'll cover Nnamdi in a separate window, because his situation is a lot stickier).

Once we scraped the Wide 9, we had a D-line again, and the young guys have really impressed me of late, ESPECIALLY Brandon Graham. I pray he stays healthy through this next season.

Our Linebackers as a group (talentwise) are as good as we've had since the days of Buddy Ryan, but the scheme doesn't allow them to attack much. And I don't just mean blitzing. I hate the way they always seem to line up 3 yards deep, or with all 3 LB's inside the DE's. I want to see them line up ON the line. I want to see them line up OUTSIDE of the TE and drive him laterally down the line and into traffic at the snap. I want to see teams afraid of Kendricks's speed as a blindside blitzer. The killer is that we have this on our roster TODAY. Upgrading via the draft would be cool, but we're essentially good here as far as ability is concerned.

At RB we are loaded, but if Steve Sarkisian walks through the door as the Eagles next coach, you can kiss Dion Lewis goodbye, since Sarkisian used to coach Chris Polk (as his starter) in college. Polk won't subplant Shady, but you can bet he'll get a long look at unseating Bryce Brown at #2. Stanley Havili also acquitted himself well in his limited use at FB.

At WR DJax is this teams deep threat; and while I feel Jeremy Maclin is a more complete reciever, he isn't exactly the most competitive football player. I'd like to see him traded. Riley Cooper and Jason Avant gave Nick Foles somewhere to go with the ball and generally made the young man look good out there. However, how a new staff will see them, is the question. Neither man is a burner and I highly doubt they want to keep 2 possession receivers, as opposed to adding more threats on the outside. I see a draft pick here.

We need to draft a blocking TE. Brent Celek is fine as a #1 in a pass happy league, but not being able to power run from a 2TE set is downright embarrassing.
  • I dont think the Eagles can just strip the secondary like that although most dont deserve jobs. But I would like o see them get a marquee veteran safety in FA that might clean up that mess back there. I mean Demaco Ryans was a decent grab. Brought some stability to the linebackers. W/O him can you imagine that mess. I know everyone is talking offensive line in the draft but that DT star and teo look mighty appealing to me. They are slam dunk picks. If we can get that pressure with Star, jenkins, patterson, & cox that would be tremendous. Jenkins can slide outside. We go from a small DL to one of the biggest in an instant. Teo is a physcial specimen at 6-2 255pds. Thats a Trotter physique. Maybe Ryans or Kendricks goes to strong or weakside and lets not forget a healthy Chaney. Thats a decent LB corp. So , things are pretty fixable with the D and we dont need to rip it apart. On offense our main thing is QB. I dont want to experiment. i want a choice for the future now. No sacrificial seasons. we have had too many of them. Rebuild in the NFL just doesnt exist anymore. You have to plan to win every year.
  • Turnarounds are happening faster these days. The offense should benefit by getting the starters on the line back. The line was atrocious and it really held hem back all year. I'm sure they'll add a few pieces there too. So I'm not really sure that they need to "overhaul" the offense, provided everyone returns healthy. Defense is another story though. But Te'o or Star would go a long way in rebuilding that side of the ball.
  • (I wanted to put this up yesterday, but YB wouldn't let me until a second person posted.)

Nnamdi hasn't played up to his reputation, that goes without saying, but cutting him is a little tricky considering that
    1) The Eagles lose 4 million more dollars to dead money in 2013* if he is cut.
    2) Jeff Lurie was disappointed that the pool of talent didn't result in wins. Only a fool would believe that LURIE doesn't include Nnamdi in that pool.
    3) Nnamdi has spent his entire Eagles career essentially without a legit DC or Safety help that was even as good as the Raider's mediocre single-high system.
    4) If DRC is gone, what veteran voice do they use to mentor all the youth that will be in next year’s Secondary? Despite what anyone may think of his recent play, Nnamdi does have 10 years of NFL experience and has seen quite a bit that he can relay.

If this team replaces 2 Pro Bowl CB's and keeps it's current Safeties, then we'll be right back here next year. If they replace EVERYONE back there, then the Secondary will be starting from zero as a group. Sounds good until they hit bumps in the road and have no one to turn to for answers or even for a clue during live fire. Combat experience isn't worthless. It's priceless.

* http://www.eaglescap.com/current.html
  • I don't think they can keep the current safeties. Even if they do start from zero, how much worse could it really get?
  • Maybe Nnamdi can get a chance to play some Free Safety next season considering how abysmal he was playing corner.
  • I was thinking that but a pay cut would be in order
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186-MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Tony Stewart to race again on Sunday

Fantasy stars who'll bounce back in 2014

WWE interested in Ronda Rousey?

NFL records that are poised to be broken in 2014

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.