July 26, 2013

Naming The Starter Too Early Hasn’t Worked Out Well For The Eagles.

After the Eagles traded McNabb to the Redskins the starting job had be handed to Kevin Kolb at that very moment. Most fans were just as livid over the fact McNabb was traded and that Vick wasn’t given a chance to compete. Reid stuck to his guns through training camp, preseason, and the start of the season. Then once Vick got into the game he lit it up for at least 8 games. Reid didn’t offer Vick a chance to compete for the job, but Vick was at the time HUNGRY to start. The next season Vick was the unquestioned guy and during practice, preseason, and the regular season struggled to play as well as he did the year prior, but there wasn’t any legit challenge to unseat him as the starter. The next season again Reid makes Vick the unquestioned starter in practice, but this time in preseason Vick gets injured twice, and in comes Foles who performed well in those games. Didn’t matter Vick was the guy regardless. The team went through a wave of uncertainty and both quarterbacks struggled all season. Now that brings us to today. Why is it better to simply name a starter when history has shown it hasn’t worked for the Eagles? Why should Kelly rush to name a starter when his options aren’t elite? The truth is none of these quarterbacks are good enough to simply hand the job to. None of them have proven they can take the Eagles to the next level. As such they are on the same field of competition. Win the job or be benched.  

15 Comments:
  • Nice revisionist history. my recollection is that Kolb pleaded to be the starter even though he had no business even being considered. he was granted his and your wish and he fell flat on his face. Frankly, Kolb was a solid backup and nothing more. He had a rag arm but he could throw solid short passes and was pretty intelligent. The team struggled especially the offensive line. the eagles were exposed on Monday night football vs the vikings and never recovered. Reid as usual was unable to dial up anything new and the system sprung too many holes too plug. So every QB has struggled since the line was exposed and the injuries piled up. You think it may be the line?
  • So you actually believe Reid severed 10 years with McNabb, because Kolb was crying? Now the line was awful last season, but how on Earth did Foles have a higher completion percentage than Vick with that same pathetic group? Let's not forget it wasn't poor line play that got exposed. It was Vick who couldn't adjust to the corner blitz sent on the side he scrambles to. He still hasn't figured it out.
  • I wish I knew the reason McNabb was eliminated for that idiot. That is a question that will never be answered. But thats why the Eagles wont win a superbowl with Lurie. Hes a bum.
  • McNabb was eliminated, because Reid eliminated him. The Eagles weren't willing to pay him even though they gave out big contracts to Kolb and Vick. Last I checked Lurie isn't the guy missing blocks, tackles, making turnovers, and bad reads. Players are at fault as well as coaches.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Not everybody agrees with you there but they just aren't being honest with themselves. Some seem to think McNabb was poised to have a big year in 2010...I'm not sure how because just like usual he came up extremely small in his last game of 2009. His year with the Eagles wasn't going to be 2010...it was 2004 and we all know how that ended. McNabb was exciting to watch, was one of the best QBs in Eagles history but the Eagles didn't make a mistake not giving him a new long term deal...they made a mistake thinking they had the position covered with who they had here. Kelly could be doing the same thing if he chooses to ignore the QB position next year if no QB currently on the roster steps up this year.
  • I agree that McNabb was on the down side of his career, but
    this fool is actually stating he was replaced, because Kolb cried?
    That may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, but when it comes to Wood I should never write that, because he proves me wrong a few short sentences later.
  • Vick's struggles started at the end of the 2010 year and continued through the 2011 where the line played pretty freakin' well. Of course all you remember is the 2012 year where both QBs had to play without many starters and the rookie Foles played as well if not a little better that your veteran Mike Vick...and you bring up revisionist history? Kolb NEVER pleaded for the starter's job...why do you just keep showing us all how much of a liar you are?
  • Dude just makes stuff up! Seriously this is the anchor flip flop chose to tie himself to?
  • Even when someone wins the job it doesn't sound like Kelly will be committed to letting him have the season if he struggles. I just hope that the young guns get some time to make mistakes that are certain to happen with developing QBs. Not drafting a QB that is unquestionably THE guy in year one could put a hitch in Kelly's plan. Hopefully Foles or Barkley can prove that the Eagles did the right thing by not forcing the issue on a QB earlier.
  • young guns? thats laughable.
  • Just words playing on the fact that they are QBS, Hollywood. Lets not come back next year telling me how I stated that Foles and Barkley were studs, okay?
  • I think it depends on who wins the job. If it's Barkley or Foles I feel the leash would be longer. It's funny that many of the Vick supporters still believe the other two guys will still play this season. They can't even count on Mike Vick.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I get that although the thing with football is that it's always changing. Players are going to have moments where a player goes down. Well every quarterback on the Eagles isn't left handed and runs a 4.4 40 time so they had better get used to change anyway. The truth is none of these guys deserve the job to be given to them. Had one of these two quarterbacks played well last season they might still have Reid here, and Barkley doesn't deserve to just be handed the job either. There is a lot of football still to be practiced and played. Like the players and Chip said its going to work itself out on the field. May the best player win. That's all that really matters.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Gallery: Instagrams of the week

Most underpaid players in the NFL

MLB managers on the hot seat

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.