December 04, 2012

Needs to be addressed

I have seen a few posts complaining of NNamdi's play this year and last year, however there is someone else that should be held accountable for the secondary issues. Who, you may ask? Everyone else in the secondary is who. We were supposed to have the best trio of CB's since Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Al Harris. But no we have DRC who cant cover anybody and tackles worst than Asante samuels. He is supposed to be super fast but constantly gets super burned. NNamdi has robbed us for salary cap space for 2 years strong. This "elite" cant cover a slot receiver let alone the top receiver on a team. He may only give 4 plays a game but at least 1 one of those will be a TD and the other 3 will be for 1st downs. Im not going to bash Boykins to much, he is a rookie, but there is no excuse to get strong armed into the endzone the way Santana Moss did him when we played the skins. And that brings me to the safeties. If these arent the worst safeties i have ever seen. 2 weeks in a row they were responsible for TDs because they both left the middle of the field wide open. They can cover, can barely hit. I have to say the way this secondary looks, we can be in trouble for a looooooooonnnngggg time. That is all

23 Comments:
  • I can now see why the Cardinals fans called DRC "Doesn't Really Care"
  • It is sad that with all the resources the Eagles have put in their secondary (BIG money in free agency, 2nd round picks, a trade) they really don't have anybody cemented at any of their positions. Asomugha may be untouchable for another year due to his high salary (the Eagles aren't going to be able to cut everybody) but one of the plays that stood out to me was when he could have put a shoulder on Austin at the one and he pulled up and just let him walk into the endzone on Sunday night. That is inexcusable! How is that "leading", how is that telling a team that you are going to do everything you can to prevent a TD? After his struggles I think he owes his team a play or two where he at least throws that shoulder into a player even if the chances are they would have scored on the next play...or even on that play. It would have been a clean hit...instead Asomugha chose not to even touch Austin. WEAK!
  • If we get 2 NFL caliber Safeties the CB play will pick up. I'm AMAZED at how much flack the CB's get with hardly a word being spoken/written/smoke-signaled about how absolutely HORRIBLE the Safety play has been.

Todd Bowles made a point mentioning that the Secondary (actually it was the FS who) blew a high school level coverage concept against the Panthers.

An announcer mentioned during the Cowboys game that the EAGLES leave the middle open for post routes routinely. Early on the announcer made a point of saying he would throw it there a few times a game. RESULT: Jason Witten caught 6 balls for 108 yards. (He was a big help in my Fantasy league, but I would have traded it for an EAGLES win.)

Here are some basic laws of our Universe:
    1) All objects have mass
    2) Cats make poor boomerangs
    3) You can't play Man Press if your Safeties can't cover at all.

Quick releases down the pipe also defuse the pass rush. Just saying.

Add two guys and it changes the entire complexion of this defense.

Three. We need an legit DC.
  • Even with the play of the safeties (and I believe they have been been getting plenty of flack themselves and deservedly so) the corners have come up small with their tackling (or lack thereof) and their coverage when the balls have been thrown their way. I can't remember how many times I've seen the ball thrown Asomugha's way with him having pretty good coverage and the receiver still makes the catch. Rodgers-Cromartie had a chance to make a play on a deep ball this past weekend and instead decided to just crawl on the receiver's back and go for a short ride after the catch. Playing Bryant in the endzone when Dallas had the ball within the 10 is just asking Romo to audible and have him dump the ball off to him and have him muscle Rodgers-Croamrtie over the goal line. How confident can you feel about that? No interceptions in 5 games (or is it 6 now?) is also the fault of the corners not just the safeties. How does a team go 5 games without a pick? You would think a pick somewhere would happen by accident...a dropped or batted ball...an errant throw...5 freaking games. That only happens because of PITIFUL play.
  • I really dont see much Press from these corners. I expected Nnamdi to be a bigger better version of Darelle Revis. I mean thats what he was in Oakland a shutdown corner. He plays close to the line and when he does try to bump he is almost missing the wr completely or its just not effective. Against the cowboys When Dez scored the 2nd time DRC should really be embarrased. I dont care how much bigger Dez is to DRC play him on the line not stand in the endzone and wait for him to get to you before trying a half a$$ job of trying to tackle him. The more i think about it, all DRC does is push people out of bounds havent seen a legit tackle from him all year.
  • With DRC, I didn't know much besides his reputation, so I can't say I'm disappointed since I didn't actually WATCH Cardinals games and so I didn't know what we were getting.

As For Asomugha:

HE WAS NEVER A SHUTDOWN CORNER IN OAKLAND!!!!!

As a person who has actually WATCHED him play over the years, I can tell you teams simply didn't throw at him because he disrupts timing routes and his length makes QB's think twice about gambling on throwing a contested balls.

In fact, in his 10 years he only has TWO seasons with more than one interception (one was last year). Half the time he goes WHOLE SEASONS without recording ONE! Turnovers aren't what sent him to Pro-Bowls.

Anyone who expected anything else simply didn't do their homework.
  • You seem to be responding to Eaglemafia but I wanted to reply. The Eagles defense have now had 6 games in a row with an opponent's quarterback ending a game with a passer rating of 120, quarterbacks have completed over 75% of their passes and like I stated earlier the Eagles have no interceptions in that time. I realize the safety play is poor but there is NO way this is because of bad safety play only. The whole secondary just like most of the defense has been horrible and that includes Asomugha and Rodger-Cromartie. I watch the games, I see the poor effort, I don't see a player that quarterbacks are afraid to throw against when I see Asomugha...and unfortunately when quarterbacks throw at him it hasn't gone the Eagles way nearly as much as I hoped it would. I heard the reputation and saw his low interception numbers but from what I heard and read he certainly was thought of as a shutdown corner. A shutdown corner doesn't necessarily get the picks...he shuts down his receiver, he not only prevents the receiver from catching the ball he also prevents the quarterback from throwing the ball his way. That hasn't even come close to happening in Asomugha's Eagles career so far. I keep hoping he wakes up and shows us what his reputation was all about and from time to time he has a nice play and great coverage...not nearly enough for my liking and from what I have heard and read I'm certainly not the only one that feels this way.
  • First it was a mortal lock and now we should believe we need some modest adjustments? Im not sure how anyone can defend Andy Reid for this year , last year, the year before and all the lost opportunities. The guy has lost control of his players and coaching staff. He cant answer a question honestly to the fans. He still tries to manipulate and deceive to save his own skin and we are to believe thsi guy will lead this team to a superbowl win. Dont think so. Never did and never will. Hes was a moneymaker for Lurie but he is NOW a liability. Anyone that shows up if Reid is coach next year is an absolute fool. Nothing can save him this time. Its to steep a decline even for the fatman. Nope his old dirty tricks wont save him its now just a folly and drama for fans to lap up. If you want to be one of the sheep then go ahead go to that wasteland in december and support Reid. Not me. Im fine not watching any Eagle football right now. Its boring, lame , weak and pathetic. Until they decide to change things in a major constructive way I choose to watch you guys argue like fools as to what they have. Let me make it clear they dont have anything.
  • I do agree with Greentildeath i dont think a shutdown corner has to have a lot of picks but to prevent catches and tds, Nnamdi or DRC has done a good job at either. Im starting to wonder how good Marsh and Hughes really are. I have seen them get beat but they have very limited time on the field. Im also wondering if Juan Castillo fried both of their brains so bad with this unofficial, official 5-5-1(joke) scheme he had going on. I think this Eagles defense was so bad this year and Reid, Bowles, Castillo, and Washburn are responsible. Maybe Nnamdi will be legit with a new DC. However Coleman and Allen have to go. I would not put them on my mighty might team.
  • problem is simple. DRC - Can't be a number 1 CB in the league, but I believe He can succeed as a number 2. I also believe he wants to get better.

Asomfag - Over 30 & The Eagles shouldn't have gone after him.. End of story. We got him 1 year toooooo late.

Lastly - our Safeties.. don't help either of them
  • I think we saw today what a motivated DRC can do. The problem is it shouldn't take getting chewed out by his coach to get him to respond. This game showed a lot of the problems with the pass rush have been directly related to the secondary and their recent poor play. Nnamdi is a part of that too. He really hasn't been playing like an elite corner is supposed to. When Deion would get be it was like shocking. When Nnamdi gets beat it's either routine or it seems like someone else is at fault. Let' stop making excuses for Nnamdi. If he were as good as advertised NOBODY WOULD BE COMPLAINING ABOUT HIM.
  • He struggled again today. I saw at least 2 or 3 balls where Asomugha had decent coverage but just couldn't prevent the catch. How many times have we seen that this year? How many more times will we see it? Frustrating!
  • we agree for a change. The guy is overrated but the pass rush has been no help.
  • On the contrary I would argue the secondary has been no help to the pass rush. These guys are leaving players wide open down the seems and the defense was getting gashed for it. The secondary finally decides to start playing again and the defensive line finally started to get sacks. Nnamdi and DRC quit and for them both to be veterans that's embarrassing. I mean we all know Coleman is a lot of heart and little talent so for a guy like Nnamdi constantly pointing the finger at him while he's making all that money says a lot about Nnamdi and little of that is good football wise.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • The same stuff DRC pulled here is the reason I believe the Cardinals willingly gave him up. Who needs a player who only plays sometimes? That is just bad for the locker room. I think Reid has taken too long to call out his players. Many of these guys deserved it weeks ago.
  • hey remember when you guys were so pumped up that the eagles beat dallas in the nnamdi sweepstakes? good times.
  • Funny I don't remember you being all that happy about it.
  • The cowboys have their own version of Nnamdi in Brandon Carr
  • Nice no pay by front office to Patterson. Im sure that will translate into some player loyalty. NOT
  • Not cool! No excuse for this. Not sure why Roseman and Lurie would distance themselves from their players and fans for what is just a drop in the bucket for the organization. They have already agreed to give Patterson all his money but to make Patterson's agent have to shame them into it was low.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]

Evaluating the future stars of the WWE

If sports fans made honest signs...

MLB hitters to start worrying about

10 must-see NFL games in 2014

Gallery: The best of Blair O'Neal

NFL teams with the biggest adjustments to make

10 of our favorite pitches by Baseball Prospectus

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

What your stadium food choice says about you

10 biggest misses by NFL Draft experts

Leanna Decker power ranks the NBA playoffs

Hockey fights of the year

Five ways to improve the NFL draft

Video: Stanley Cup celebrations since '49

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.