August 29, 2013

NFL VIOLENCE ABOUT TO BE HISTORIC.

TWO days ago I wrote "DEATH BY 1,000 CUTS" (http://www.yardbarker.com/forum/3/57/discussion/death_by_1000_cuts/14380946 ). 

Already (sooner than I expected) the first glove has been dropped, by Vikings star DE Jared Allen, as he sounded off on the dirty hit that his teammate suffered in a preseason game last weekend.  http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/221374681.html. In the article he makes mention of the rules that tip contact in favor of offensive players at the expense of defensive players. 

Particularly upsetting to him was the fact that the NFL bailed on calling a dirty hit a dirty hit. And it was PLAINLY a dirty hit. Even in street fighting, many fathers (me included) teach their sons not to "sneak" a guy, or hit an opponent when his back is turned. That hit was almost as far outside the concept of sportsmanship as you can get. 

Worse than that hit itself, was the NFL's re-action to it. Instead of eliminating dirty play wherever it is, they showed they'll turn a blind eye when it's perpetrated by an offensive player. This sends the signal that defensive players have no advocate. That they are on their own out there.

THIS IS DANGEROUS.

This also proves that Roger Goodell has no clue what type of men that make up his league. The man who would be the "Crusader for Safety", is about to preside over one of the most horrifically violent periods in the history of the sport.

Football players are not the sort of men to take an assault lying down. Jared Allen has already made it clear that he is willing to part with cash to speak out against what he sees as an injustice. Do you think he'd not risk money to protect himself? This man who has made a reputation and millions of dollars being an Alpha-male. This avid hunter of both man and animal. Do you for a moment believe he would not commit money to a sport where he has already committed his body?

Do you believe it would stop at him alone?

The NFL used to be a more brutal league, but most of it was sanctioned by rules which players stayed well within. But if NFL players start to go off the reservation; if things devolve into a cesspool of score settling; if NFL players go the way that NBA players went for a while a few years ago, when there seemed to be at least one major brawl a month; if these things happen in a sport with THIS MUCH sanctioned aggression, you WILL see players begin to lose their lives on the field, and you WILL see players leaving the field in cuffs.

The playing field MUST be made level.

5 Comments:
  • It was a dirty play but Kevin Williams did absolutely nothing to protect himself. It looked like a slow motion and you knew how it was going to end. I think the game is changing that it will hardly resemble the game of earlier years. Only playoff games will have complete contact. Thats why the Ravens did well. When it came down to it they had the msucle and finesse wasnt going to cut it.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • Some people may say things like "Defensive players have to learn to deal with the fact that it's an offensive league" or "They're paid well enough to follow a few rules" or "If they don't like it they can retire".

What those people fail to understand is that the nature of football is not what your eye sees. It is a game modeled on and evolved from Rugby. At it's very heart football is a DEFENSIVE game, used as a test of will and raw, brute power. Violence in most forms predate almost EVERYTHING else today's fans know about this sport.

Over years as the forward pass was added, the offensive line positions, and receiver position were invented, and the QB position defined, the rules had to change of course. But in it's basic DNA, this a violent game, played by men who don't generally shy away from that level of violence.

Understand: In high school your most dominant alpha-males are your starters. Of those starters, the most dominant ones become college players. The most dominant players on a college roster become your starters. The most dominant of which move on to the NFL, and still the most dominant, committed of these are the ones who make the cut come preseason, and the best of THOSE players become starters, to only be bested STILL by your Pro-Bowl, All-Pro caliber.

An NFL athlete is the END DISTILLATION PRODUCT of the Alpha-male sorting process. Stronger, faster and far more aggressive, these are NOT the sort of men who will take to be cornered by what are clearly unfair rules and an unfair process in doling out punishments.

This isn't going to be pretty.
  • I agree with u. It's just gonna take one team or one player to say enough of the bs , fine me, suspend me, do whatever but I'm not backing off. Heads r gonna start getting popped again knees will be blow up even more. It's gonna get ugly.
  • The saddest thing about it is, even people outside of the NFL can see this coming.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

Five QBs who Miami let leave Florida

NBA free agency and trade tracker

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

NFL coaches on the hot seat in 2014

The top 32 fantasy QBs for 2014

Best NFL player at every number

NFL cheerleader calendar blowout

NFL teams with best homefield advantage

Gallery: The best of Hannah Ferguson

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.