April 27, 2013

NO COMPLAINTS.

HAVE to clear up a misunderstanding. 

There is nothing to worry about concerning the heart of rookie CB D.J. Hayden. As an organ there was and is no damage. It was a rupture of the blood vessel leading to the heart; not to any of the chambers or even the vessel leading from the heart, and most susceptible to sudden pressure rises. 

That said I give the pick a 'B'. I can't give it an 'A' because regardless of how the Raiders system is supposed to work, I value tackling too highly to disregard the fact that he's not great at it. On the other hand, if he can be half as successful at baiting QB's into dumb passes as he was in college, odds are he won't see a lot of traffic to his side.

The addition of Menelik Watson in the second has me almost loopy! I don't like his hand placement, but his explosiveness.... Oh my god! Look, you can teach hand placement, but things like explosiveness, a solid anchor and natural strength; when you're born you either will have those things or you won't. Watson has them. The only thing I see that he lacks and that someone else can't teach is a mean streak, but he could pick it up playing Guard. (Tackle doesn't throw you to the wolves enough to manufacture that.)

I'd like to see him at G with maybe a move to RT when Khalif Barnes moves on.

As for OLB Sio Moore, I can't claim to have done any homework on him, so I can't say yea or nay.

6 Comments:
  • Have to add: After watching an NFL breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clOSd1qVyas

my feelings on Sio Moore are that he would make a solid ASSIGNMENT BASED, WLB.

He'd be best suited to being an "attack dog" player, where you tell him to blitz or spy, or shadow a specific guy. Early on you remove diagnosing from his list of responsibilities, and let out the leash as he gained experience. This way he doesn't get caught peeking, frozen in space, or caught out of his area.

What I like about him is that on many of the highlights when he made tackles for losses or sacks he did it while being blocked. One knock is that he isn't aggressive enough with blockers, but I like that his motor doesn't stop and his effort doesn't dip when it isn't easy. Most highlight reels involve guys making plays without fighting off so much as a decent chip block. This guy at 229-245 is battling O-linemen and still getting to the rack.

Not bad for a 3rd rounder.
  • Watson and Hayden were hurt this year. As was the case with MANY Raiders. Unlucky I guess.

No matter.

When these guys played they didn't look bad at all. Hayden had some rookie errors early on, but really seemed to buttoning it up before he got hurt.

Watson despite inconsistent QB casting did a pretty good job in helping Rashad Jennings pile up yards in every one of his starts.

Moore started 11 games and grabbed 4.5 sacks.

So I can't complain about this last draft.
  • Moore is going to be really good next season.
  • Zukny:

Moore certainly progressed faster than I thought he would, which was a pleasant surprise (as opposed to Purple Drank) from a Raiders draft pick.

So far it's the most successful draft we've had in a while. Now that there's a nucleus, and some consistency with the coaching staff, I'm wondering how much noise we can make if the QB thing gets handled right.
  • That's the key Flip. Fix the quarterback controversy.
  • I think the biggest controversy is the FO/coaching staff not settling on someone. The reality is that the current offensive roster isn't at all built to suit or complement ANY of the QB's we have.

Now that I think about it, we really haven't drafted a complementary weapon to a QB since DMac was taken a year after JaMarcus Russell. Prior to that you have to go all the way back to 1990 or 1991 when we took Todd Marinovich and Nick Bell 1 and 2 in the same Draft (I STILL have both of their Pro Set football cards from that year. Man what high hopes I had...).

Whoever is named the Starter should have the team add at LEAST one player to complement that QB's skills.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.